Thanksgiving in the Desert FSJ meet up (TITD) 2019

FSJ Related Events in the Mountain Time Zone

Topic author
will e

Thanksgiving in the Desert FSJ meet up (TITD) 2019

Post by will e »

This is the sign up thread for the 2019 Thanksgiving in the desert! A meeting of FSJ folks and their friends with a big pot luck Thanksgiving style dinner!

The Feast day is Saturday the 23rd of November, the weekend before Thanksgiving. Dinner is usually around sunset. It's a pot luck.
Location: South of the Gila River. Take E Florence-Kelvin Hwy east until you get to Cochran Road. Cochran road is just past mile marker 15. Head North on Cochran road to the camp spot. The camp spot varies from year to year depending on which area is open.

We usually camp around this area, about 5 or 6 miles after turning onto Cochran. Here's a google map of the area we typically meet

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Cochr ... 11.1155878

Sign up in this thread, this will give everyone an idea of how many folks are coming and what they are bringing. Also, some of us will show up Thursday. Most folks stay and Camp on Saturday but it's not a requirement.

This is always a good time to see old friends, meet new jeepers and check out a few rigs. Bob counted 12 FSJ's last year with the Cherokee WT's dominating the rest in terms of numbers.

As we get closer to the date folks will arrange for meetups in Florance and elsewhere. I will keep track of the sign ups, numbers, day of arrival and what they are bringing for Pot Luck in this post. Also, sometimes this is a great place to try to get rid of an old part so post up if you have something someone might be intersted in.

Current attendance: 18 or so..
Who (how many) - when - what they are bringing for the feast - Parts they are willing to drag down

WILL E (1) - Friday - Pre dinner appetizers. Cheese crisps around the fire later in the evening. ;)
Jsinajeep (2) - Didn't say - Doesn't know - probably lots of parts

Chris and Family (0) Friday - Turkey (Need to work this out, Chris and Family are not showing up)
Derek (1) - Friday - Not sure
fulsizjeep (2) - Saturday - Chile beef Tamales!
heimeken (1) - Utensiles
Tad (1) - Gravy - Probably bring a bbq grill, backyard type with propane
fxtechphx (4) - Friday - yummy desert
motcal (2 not counted in total) - Saturday but only a maybe due to business trip.
81kanada (2) Thursday - green bean casserole, turkey with gravy & an cast iron pan full of stuffing.
pat and Noel (2) Baking a pie and doing a Turkey pot pie in the Dutch ovens (Yummy!)
Casey (3) Friday - Loaded mash potatoes, rolls.

Previous Alumni that can't make it
rstep
Curly
The mayo clan (may the best robot win)
Last edited by will e on Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:28 am, edited 25 times in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jsinajeep

Re: Thanksgiving in the Desert FSJ meet up (TITD) 2019

Post by jsinajeep »

Count me in. I have know idea what I will bring to eat or what kind of PARTS I can bring.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Prize for the first response!
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

will e wrote:Prize for the first response!
LOL I do not believe I have missed any.

Curly

Post by Curly »

Wife and I were just talking about this a few minutes ago. We plan to come, camp Fri and Sat night. Will bring something potato-ee. :)
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Awesome Curly. Looking forward to hanging with you folks again. You're on the list!

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

My buddy Chris will join again this year with his family. Last year he made the turkey's. I will check with him to see if he plans on doing it again.
Derek said he would join as well. He's trying to get the J10 resurrected.

We will probably go wheeling on Friday. Depending on the rigs this might mean Box Canyon or perhaps Elvis. If the Gila is crossable, perhaps a loop via Box Canyon, past the Coke ovens, across the Gila and back to camp.

Perhaps a short wheeling trip on Saturday. I have to be back in time to make appetizers and Chris will need time to prep the Turkeys. But maybe a second group will want to go off a bit further.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

We missed last year and really want to come. We certainly have logistics to figure out and are planning to be there. If Newt cat is coming, we will be staying in Florence with Tad and not camp. It is easier to tend to him in a house type environment. Newt made it to Ouray in July with us where we stayed in a cabin and he has been healthy for several months so we are pretty well set for him to make the trip. Can we bring Jiffy Pop? Hah, it just popped in my head, not serious. ;)
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

heimeken

Post by heimeken »

Count me in :)
'85 Grand Wagoneer "Caterpillar" :fsj:
'79 Cherokee Chop Top "Nom"
'78 J15 (3/4 ton J10) "Imoteb"

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

The wife and I will drag the camper back out and be there most likely Friday morning so I can go wheeling this year. Not sure what we are bringing food wise yet. Will be 2-4 people
On a side note I will plan on going shooting again Saturday if anyone wants to join
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Gotcha on the list!

fxtechphx

Post by fxtechphx »

We have decided to make pumpkin rolls for dessert.
Tomorrow we may face destiny, we may fight and die and fall to the fires of perdition, but tonight is ours, and we drink and make merry.

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

This is still valid, reservations made today to stay in Florence.
What I bring or drive is up in the air until after the Las Cruces trip.
If the Pushmobile don’t break too bad I will drive it up with the small trailer and the QBque for folks to use and leave it there until Saturday after dinner.
If it won’t make the trip I’ll be in the Excursion so I won’t be wheeling, bringing the trailer or driving it up the wash.

fulsizjeep wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:22 pm We missed last year and really want to come. We certainly have logistics to figure out and are planning to be there. If Newt cat is coming, we will be staying in Florence with Tad and not camp. It is easier to tend to him in a house type environment. Newt made it to Ouray in July with us where we stayed in a cabin and he has been healthy for several months so we are pretty well set for him to make the trip. Can we bring Jiffy Pop? Hah, it just popped in my head, not serious. ;)
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Tad wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:41 pm This is still valid, reservations made today to stay in Florence.
What I bring or drive is up in the air until after the Las Cruces trip.
If the Pushmobile don’t break too bad I will drive it up with the small trailer and the QBque for folks to use and leave it there until Saturday after dinner.
If it won’t make the trip I’ll be in the Excursion so I won’t be wheeling, bringing the trailer or driving it up the wash.
Keep us posted! I think you'll have good luck is Las Cruces this year. Any thoughts on food? My foggy memory recalls anything between gravy and enchiladas?

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Mike,
Enchiladas are out, Poco and Moms closed their location that does catering.
I will take gravy.
Pushmobile is crippled, I’m not even going think about fixing it until after thanksgiving as it’s not in the budget right now.
I may just clean out the Toyota bed and toss the grill in the back and will still be staying in Florence so no wheeling for me.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Thanks Tad for the update. We love your gravy! And having the grill always comes in handy too. Too bad about the wheeling, there will be plenty of open seats for ride alongs.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

We are still on! Newt cat is in good health for travel. Bringing Kia because it has low range. :D I have some home grown apricots that were dried and now soaking in some rum blanco. If anything, it is good fire starter. The Jiffy Pop needs something though. Kale? :P
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Curly

Post by Curly »

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good is that my son and his wife adopted their first child this past Friday. That makes me a first time Grandpa. The bad news is that I am going to have to drop out of TITD this year. The family is getting together that weekend to celebrate my Bday and Macy's Baptism that Sunday. Have a great time and we will try again next year.
I start what I finish.

81 Wagoneer 4.2/auto
77 Cherokee S 360/Auto/QT
97 Jeep Wrangler

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

Curly wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:29 pm Well, I have good news and bad news. The good is that my son and his wife adopted their first child this past Friday. That makes me a first time Grandpa. The bad news is that I am going to have to drop out of TITD this year. The family is getting together that weekend to celebrate my Bday and Macy's Baptism that Sunday. Have a great time and we will try again next year.
I am happy for you guys! We will catch you next year. Of course... you could bring the family out on Saturday for the feast. :)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Curly wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:29 pm Well, I have good news and bad news. The good is that my son and his wife adopted their first child this past Friday. That makes me a first time Grandpa. The bad news is that I am going to have to drop out of TITD this year. The family is getting together that weekend to celebrate my Bday and Macy's Baptism that Sunday. Have a great time and we will try again next year.
I am really Happy for you and the family. We will miss you.