76 Cherokee Destined for a 6BT swap

For everything related to converting and up keeping diesel engines in an FSJ

Topic author
DND Racing

76 Cherokee Destined for a 6BT swap

Post by DND Racing »

So it's been a long 2+ year story that involves a 1990 Dodge Ramcharger, but I came to my senses and found a 1976 Cherokee WT to swap a non-inter cooled Cummins into.

Truck was maybe a little more work than I was hoping for, but the price was good and the frame is solid. Also decided that since the Cummins swap was so much work anyway, may be better to find more of a rough starting point with good bones to "save" than to cut up a fair to good piece.

I've got a couple engine builds ahead of this and a race car to get ready for the upcoming season here in Michigan, so I will nickel and dime it between all that (oh and throw in all the family and work stuff...), hope to get going on it with a fair amount of steam this fall. Won't be a quick project by anyone's standards, but gonna be cool once it's done.

It followed me home dear, I swear...can I keep it?
You can see the donor, a 1990 W350 Dodge with a 727 automatic.

Adventure_Wagon88

Re: 76 Cherokee Destined for a 6BT swap

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Awesome!! Any concerns about the 6BT being too heavy? What are your goals for it as a vehicle? I bought my Wagoneer initially thinking it would be a 6BT and for cost's sake I wish I was still on that route but I've pretty well decided on a 4 cylinder 3.9 ISB motor with Allison 1000 trans at this point. I want to be as close to stick weight as possible up front to maintain off road manners. I don't need a tow beast and I want something capable of long trips and daily driving. Best of luck to you I'll definitely be following!

Topic author
DND Racing

Post by DND Racing »

Vehicle will be a glorified show truck basically. No plans for wheeling, or any trail riding. Might make a trip to some sand dunes on Lake Michigan, which are a couple hours away, but that would be the extent of any off roading. Also may occasionally tow another show vehicle or race car on an open trailer. Mostly be resigned to 2 lane black top roads with some freeway driving. Car shows, cruises, ice cream runs with the kids, to work every now and again when the weather allows, etc.

Planning on a full, body off frame restoration, and will use the entire running gear off the Dodge. Dana 60 up front, and 70 in the rear with the 727 and NP205 transfer case. Will set the engine as low and rearward as possible, and will box the frame from the front to the transmission cross member. Also going to try to remove as much weight as possible, especially up front. Not exactly sure how I'm going to do that, but for example considering fiberglass hood and fenders for the front. Nothing wrong with the sheet metal ones on there, but would be done in an effort to take weight off the front.

Thought about a 4BT, but had the Dodge with the Cummins already, so I'm going to make it work. If I was planning on doing any wheeling, I don't think I would add the weight to the Jeep. Seen a couple build threads with jeeps tipped over, or guys bailing or undoing a project because of the weight. Most of them were doing some type of off roading.

Gonna be fun one. I've built a few race cars, from bracket cars to tube chassis ones, never a truck, always something to learn.

Adventure_Wagon88

Post by Adventure_Wagon88 »

Made any progress on this?

Topic author
DND Racing

Post by DND Racing »

Adventure_Wagon88 wrote:Made any progress on this?
Negative, probably won't start until this fall/winter. Have a race car project taking up all my automotive project time at the moment