Used EFI Purchase

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
MilesTexas

Used EFI Purchase

Post by MilesTexas »

Hey yall,

I have a dude offering to sell a Holley Sniper (just the main bolt on unit with wires attached).

I know I would need the other ends of the wires for connections. Plus fuel pump. Plus Tuner screen if I wanted it. He is offering it for 150, which seems like a good deal. What am I missing? Is it too much of a hassle to get the other parts individually? Will Holley not help with support? Tell me what I don't know :D

Also, I won't be initially starting with Duraspark system, I have a HEI dizzy and I like that. Everything else is stock

84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Future Daily Driver?
- Original AMC360 w/ HEI dist (del Coil, ECM)
- Holley Sniper
- Original AC/Heat

Yeller

Re: Used EFI Purchase

Post by Yeller »

$150 is a good deal if it works. With the failure rate of the electronics inside them and the number of replacements I know they send out, my guess is you'd be throwing money away. If going sniper, go new, in my experience you will need the support of Holley as the original purchaser. Hate to be a downer but I see it all the time. I know a couple of certified installers that have all but quit using them and gone to Edelbrock Proflow, more money but they don't seem to have any issues. I do not know if a Proflow system is even available for an AMC, I've not looked. If your after an inexpensive fuel injection, go for an Affordable Fuel Injection or Howell kit. IMO there is no way that a throttle body unit with a computer within itself is going to live a long happy life, too much heat on the chips and circuitry. On an open air hot rod with no side panels go for it but in a truck with known heat issues at the carburetor, not a good plan. OK off my soap box as I'm sure I spewed way more information than you really wanted LOL
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

will e

Post by will e »

I would avoid it as well.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
MilesTexas

Post by MilesTexas »

Hey, that is exactly what I needed. I was hesitant but thought maybe they were bullet proof. I will steer clear and look at other options
84 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, Future Daily Driver?
- Original AMC360 w/ HEI dist (del Coil, ECM)
- Holley Sniper
- Original AC/Heat

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Yeller wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:53 am $150 is a good deal if it works. With the failure rate of the electronics inside them and the number of replacements I know they send out, my guess is you'd be throwing money away. If going sniper, go new, in my experience you will need the support of Holley as the original purchaser. Hate to be a downer but I see it all the time. I know a couple of certified installers that have all but quit using them and gone to Edelbrock Proflow, more money but they don't seem to have any issues. I do not know if a Proflow system is even available for an AMC, I've not looked. If your after an inexpensive fuel injection, go for an Affordable Fuel Injection or Howell kit. IMO there is no way that a throttle body unit with a computer within itself is going to live a long happy life, too much heat on the chips and circuitry. On an open air hot rod with no side panels go for it but in a truck with known heat issues at the carburetor, not a good plan. OK off my soap box as I'm sure I spewed way more information than you really wanted LOL
They do! They offer the current Pro Flo 4 system.

And surprisingly, BJ's has them listed for the same price as Summit: https://www.bjsoffroad.com/Edelbrock-Pr ... _2253.html
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Jevman

Post by Jevman »

I purchased one for an AMC from BJ's in March and just received it so know it's aways out from Edelbrock unless you can find one from the batch they just sent out, good luck if you go this route.

After talking with guys who build the AMC motors, 6 out of the 7 love them with no issues, one of them said they had trouble with the 401 and the Pro Flow 4 but other wise everything was great.
78 Cherokee Chief W/T, 4" lift, 35x12.5R17 BFG TA's KO2's, 401, 700r4, Atlas II 3.0:1, 4.56, Pro Flow 4, CVF Serpentine System, E-Locker front, True Trac rear, Dakota Digital, Hydroboost Power Steering and Brake System, rear wheel disc conversion, E-Stopp Elec Brake Systm.

sansabarJ

Post by sansabarJ »

I think on that used unit that really appears kinda rough , not worth it at all . You need the whole rest of the system components to make it work .

SansabarJ

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i love my holley sniper and hyperspark, their support is exellent, a friend of mine bought a used unit had problems with it sent it to holly and they replaced the whole system no questions asked, i cant argue with my success or my friends.