Sniper hyperspark timing issue Buick 350

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Analog

Sniper hyperspark timing issue Buick 350

Post by Analog »

Installing Holley hyperspark distributor on my 71 wagoneer with a Buick 350. My maintenance manual says the distributor turns clock wise. So does the engine. I checked my TDC mark on my damper and it’s correct. I found the compression stroke of piston #1. I installed the distributor to generally face the #1 wire.

Now here is my question. The hyperspark comes with a clear distributor cap that helps set your timing to 15 degrees BTDC. If I use that tool it looks to me that the timing is set 15 degrees after TDC. That can’t be correct? The clear cap says “CW” when other caps say “CCW” such as in the Holley video where they are sitting up a ford 289 which does turn that way.

What am I not understanding? if my #1 wire is at 7:00,for example, and the hyperspark is pointing at 7:45 and the distributor turns clock wise….. then the spark for #1 happens too late. Right? This seems backwards.

The black pen mark is where the #1 wire goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.

Herk

Re: Sniper hyperspark timing issue Buick 350

Post by Herk »

So it looks like you have the crank set at TDC in the second picture. I would position the crank where I wanted my timing to be, 15 BTDC in this case, and then set the distributor wherever it needs to be. Less confusing to my feeble brain. The distributor should fire the ignition as the reluctor wheel crosses the pickup. That is it fires on the leading edge correct?

Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

what you are seeing is CORRECT, it goes against everything you may be accustome to seeing with a standard distributor. i truggled with the same issue, after numerous cales to holley tech support, and being told repeatedly that this is correct, i went to the sniper programming and went through all the input questions and went to start the engine and it fired right up, secondary timing check showed it to be spot on my big 360 runs unbeleavible. if you have marked the distributor accoroding to the instructions and marked it at the clear cap mark and place the #1 wire at that location and follow the rest of the of the firing order and you will be ok if you ave any further questions reach out to me or is you want i can call you

Topic author
Analog

Post by Analog »

My timing light flashing on the damper isn't matching what my hyperspark is saying it's doing when using the supplied hand held screen. Sniper has a "Static timing" setting used to match the hyperspark to your engine. When I set static timing to 12 degrees and then check it at the damper with the timing light the light flashes on the damper at maybe ten or more degrees advanced of 12 degrees. If I turn the distributor to try to line them up the engine starts to stall. I'm thinking I need to pull the distributer and move it a tooth or so and see if that lines things up?

The degree mark on the block only goes to 12 so that is why I'm using that and why I can't say exactly what degree the light is flashing on.

Herk

Post by Herk »

The computer is adding some advance once the engine is running, or that would be my guess. Does the Sniper have a "timing check mode" or can you view the advance tables? On GM TBI systems there is a tan wire that you disconnect to disable any advance/retard so you can verify the base timing with a light.

Have you verified the mark on the damper, or are you just assuming it's correct?

Topic author
Analog

Post by Analog »

“Static timing” in the sniper system locks the timing while you check timing. Once you leave that screen static timing goes away and then your normal timing settings take over. I checked the mark on the damper by removing the #1 spark plug and feeling for the top of the compression stroke.