2bbl 2300 series sniper efi

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Re: 2bbl 2300 series sniper efi

Post by Srdayflyer »

Part of the sniper wiring harnass is a 10 pin harnass which operates things as cooling fans (electric) ,waterpump ,tach, guages, airconditioning, and the coil driver module I will need only 2 of the 10 wires , white for the coil driver and orange for the airconditioning, the air conditioning requires a relay wired to the sniper efi unit and it needs to be wired to energize to -ground as holley says the efi unit looks for a ground to step up fuel flow to compensate for a/c compressor operation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

I used high temperature wiring bundle tape it's used by mercedes,vw,porsche, obtainable thru amazon TESA 51036 and was used throughout the wiring harnass rebundle in the engine bay. This tape is strong and does not unravel under re rap

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

routing the fuel pump wire +positive to the pump i used 1/4 " wire loom to protect the wire the length of the run to the fuel pump also used were terminal boots to protect the connections from water.the loom was secured with HD tywraps and secured to the fuel lines, i had to add and additional 2 feet of wire to the fuel pump wire due to the location of mounting the relay assemblies in the prewired harnass on the r/h inner fender.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

the under hood wiring was in bad shape as far as the mounting and routing of the wires,i used several size wire loom material 1' , 1/2 '', 3/8', and 1/4",NUMEROUS adel clamps( rubber isolated clamps), the 7 wire harnass comes with the fuel pump relay and fuse i used a tywrap to ensure that they couldnt vibrate apart. also an adel clamp to secure and isolate the coil driver assembly, and i used 5/16 eye connectors for the positive and negative wires as recommended by holley to power the efi unit. the O2 sensor wiring has a huge amount of length and had to be coiled and secured with tywraps, the fuel supply barbed fittings are 120 and 90 degree fittings,i also had a few pieces fire sleeve that i used to isolate the fuel line at the valve cover to protect from heat and chaffing.i also installed a fuel pressure guage to monitor the return line f.p. an increase above 45-50 psi, if it is you may have the fuel regulator finger screen is becoming blocked up

Hobart

Post by Hobart »

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this info!
Bill

1979 Wagoneer
1959 Bel Air
1968 Nova
1972 Eldo ragtop
1980 Z28

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

i wanted to take the time to show all SJ"rs what frame rail rust time bomb is looming in your rig if you gavent removed your (idont want to do that) fuel tank. i was forced to do this to replace the parking brake cable as they were not releasing properly. the pax side is a piece of cake the driverside is a pita especially if you have an eastern or rust belt rig,even tho mine was raise its entire live in AZ i still found this in the photos the rail packed with mud as hard as concrete, i wire brushed and rust prevented the effected area hidden by the fuel tank

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

frame rail pics continued

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

additional picture

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

engine compartment with finalized wiring

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

additional engine compartment pictures

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

well all,i have completed the install (almost) i have to install the relay that feeds the sniper a ground signal to allow increased fuel flow when the a/c is turned on,performs the same function as the electro/mechanical solenoid did with the old carb setup. programmed the sniper and hyperspark distributor with the sys. handheld thru the wizard function, had the fuel supply line disconnectedand run into a small 1 callon gas can to flush the system lines, after the purge ,and reconnection the big moment of truth, did i wire everything correctly, did i miss a fuel line clamp, were there to be unforseen problems?. after 2-3 seconds the fuel pressure guage showed 65 psi, and then the engine cranking, whoa nellie, 2 revolutions and the big 360 purres like a kitten, not like the beast the carb did,hand held showed 750rpm as programmed, 15 degrees timing , and a fuel/air ratio of 13.2-13.8, and balancer timing matched the hand held, its un believable just how smooth this thing runs. if anyone has questions about this install ive done drop me and email,for those who are on the fence about wether or not the cost is worth it , i would say yes im looking forward to driving this and have the sniper prom learn , and truely see the on/off road benifit.the next phase of the project starts in 2 weeks with a gear swap getting rid of the factory 2.73 ratio gears with the current effective ratio of 1.91 with 31/10.5/15 tires and putting in an eaton posi and 3.73's then paint, and seat recover and final reassembly. those wanting their sender modified to -6 3/8's lines im willing to perform the mod for cost of tubing and a 6pk plus shipping , jeep on mu friends

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

1 last thing with the additional items i used ,fuel line ,line clamps,an-6 fittingswire looming firewall wiring tape etc. total cost came to a little under $2000.00, and about 75-80 hours to install a good portion involved wa brainstorming the installation hopefully this pictures will assist others in cutting down their install times, again to all jeep on my friends ,jeep on my friends ,jeep on

Analog

Post by Analog »

What part of the key ignition did you attach the pink wires for the 12v keyed supply? I removed the wire to the radio and used that post as it had 12v when the key was turned on but I didn't check for 12 volts while cranking. I was setting timing at TDC and didn't want to have the motor turn over.......not a great idea thinking about it now. While cranking the engine wired as it is the 12volts goes away and shuts off the sniper which restarts the moment cranking stops. I don't remember the radio going off while cranking There are no empty posts on the back of my ignition so attaching three new wire is a little difficult and wanted to ask what you did? I didn't mind removing the line to the radio. Not sure what the other wires are supplying.

When I say "cranking" I actually mean when the key is in the cranking position. For some reason I'm not getting the starter to do anything. I was thinking my neutral safety switch might have an issue.

On the positive side, the fuel pump was working great. This is the Holley sniper 2GC with hyperspark and a holley in-tank pump. Like your thread shows.......it's a lot of work to get all of this going.
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.

Topic author
Srdayflyer

Post by Srdayflyer »

the best way i can describe it it at the firewall on the driverside in the wiring harnass there is a 4 pin connector going to the original equip motorcraft ignition module is a red wire i believe 12ga wire (red) is the dedicated wire you want its is hot when key is in the run position and also hot in the cranking position.this is the one you want to connect to the pink wire. what I did was to remove all the old wire loom covering and removed all the old wires associated with the motorcraft ignition system and route all the holly wiring to the associated locations then enclosed them in NEW wire loom i got from amazon. routing, securing and installing was a time consuming PITA , but i wanted this to look professional, be environmentally protected, and not be prone to operating problems. i started this installation in october and completed it in jan. although i didnt work on it every weekend the thought process of the complete install was the time consuming part. i tried to assist all FSJ owners with as many pictures of my install as possible to at least maybe cut down their head scratching moments and answer questions some may have, is mine the best install, it works for me , and with some of the drivability issues some have reported taking potential shortcuts in the fuel supply/return side of the install, and rush to just get it running . i was on speed dial with holley to get answers to eliminate potential issues ,the old adage measure twice cut once will pay off in the long run . i havent completely finished a few minor things due to the fact that i had the jeep in the shop having the axels re-geared,had the old 2:73's changed to 3:73's,eaton posi and a complete rebuild of the rear axel as the axle vent line was missing and water got in the rear axel assy. it was in the shop 3 weeks, having it worked on full time , me doin it probably months. any way i hope my answer helped some , reach out if you have additional questions .

Analog

Post by Analog »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Mine is a 71 with a buick 350 so mine might be a bit different but I’ll check to see if I can do your method. For now I pulled mine off the ignition switch and ran a dedicated wire back to the battery and added a kill switch under the dash. That switch now turns on the sniper. I found out the motor wasn’t turning due to a loose neutral safety. Fixed it. I’m having timing issues with hyperspark but I’ll post a new thread for that.
1971 Wagoneer Custom Buick 350, 700r4, Holley sniper and Hyperspark.