Fuel leak issues

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
MarchyBergyPasta

Fuel leak issues

Post by MarchyBergyPasta »

Hello all,

I've been lurking since 2017, but finally got the courage to post a thread.

Having an intermittent fuel leak.

I see my 87 GW spot leaking fuel at the front passenger corner of the coffin when I have above 3/4ths of a tank.

I dropped the tank, stripped, painted, and rattle can bedlined the skid plate before reinstalling when doing the sniper install a little over a year ago. At this time I also replaced the vent check valves and grommets. However, I did not replace the rubber lines going to the vent check valves.

The first time I noticed the leak, I had replaced the gasket on the fuel filler cap earlier that day which had been disintegrating for the past 6 months.

Could this mean my tank is building pressure and pushing fuel past the front vent check valve grommet? I say this because my vapor canister purge valve leaks vacuum. I currently have both the purge signal line and carb bowl vent, (since there's no more carb bowl to vent) capped.

Any and all ideas are quite welcome.
- Alex

87 GW 360/727/229 Sniper 4150, MSD 6al2, TFI upgrade, Performer EGR, coolant filter, flowkooler water pump, severe duty fan clutch, 727 deep aluminum pan, 3.31 gears and a leaky sunroof :fsj:

89 XJ Wag Renix 4.0, Moroso pan, open cooling system

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Fuel leak issues

Post by Stuka »

When you remove your gas cap after driving, do you feel/hear air woosh out?

And do you have a return line still with the EFI?
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
MarchyBergyPasta

Re: Fuel leak issues

Post by MarchyBergyPasta »

Stuka wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:26 pm When you remove your gas cap after driving, do you feel/hear air woosh out?

And do you have a return line still with the EFI?
Thanks for the response.

I don't, but will check again.

For my return I run 3/8ths rubber line from the TBI unit to the stock metal 5/16ths fuel line, then reduce that down to 1/4 at the sending unit. Which is probably not the best way to do that.

I forgot to mention I'm using an in-tank pump I added to the stock sending unit.
- Alex

87 GW 360/727/229 Sniper 4150, MSD 6al2, TFI upgrade, Performer EGR, coolant filter, flowkooler water pump, severe duty fan clutch, 727 deep aluminum pan, 3.31 gears and a leaky sunroof :fsj:

89 XJ Wag Renix 4.0, Moroso pan, open cooling system