Planning for Edelbrock Pro Flo

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Re: Planning for Edelbrock Pro Flo

Post by sirrus »

There is no specific thread for PF install, just few posts in my build thread, starting with this one.

No major issues that I recall. Instructions tell you to use supplied intake gaskets - I used valley pan metal gasket instead. I also got a new set of intake bolts. I wouldn't call stock throttle cable and TV linkage not working with PF4 intake an issue - I kinda suspected it, but left it for later and then it bit me in the a$$ as I was waiting for cables and brackets to arrive for 2 months.. Once engine started it was giving me issues with idle, but that's thanks to bad O2 bung welding by the shop.

As for how much time it took me - by the end of first day new intake was on, but it was almost 3 months later that I was finally able to take it on a test drive :) Keep in mind that I was also modifying PF harness to move fuse and relay into my fuse/relay box, fabbing bracket for Edelbrock surge tank, going through stock harnesses and so on. Plus I was only working on it on the weekends and sometimes weather didn't want to cooperate - working outside in the snow is not very fun. I think that if I had all the correct parts ready when I started, some time off and good weather, it would take me no more that 1 week, probably 5 full days or so
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

JeepNorris

Post by JeepNorris »

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your thread on this build, thanks for the link. I may reach out with some questions after I dig in and get started. Where do you get plastic parts printed at?

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

You’re welcome! I do all my printing at home with this beast I’ve built

Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

JeepNorris

Post by JeepNorris »

That's amazing! May I solicite you for some printed parts as I proceed? Anything you can think of that may benefit my install right off the bat? Bracket for surge fuel tank or any modified harnesses?

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Sure, let me know what you need and we can figure it out!

What surge tank do you have? I used Edelbrock fuel sump (36031) and I’m happy with it so far. Fits nicely under coolant overflow bottle, it is quiet and has a built in pressure regulator with vac reference (having intake vac reference is important for MPFI, unlike TBI). Bracket for it is basically couple aluminum strips riveted together, plus some rivnuts to mount the sump

As for harnesses, it depends on what you need - I have planned to use bussmann relay box for all added fuses and relays even before I started thinking about ProFlo. And I just don’t like inline flag fuses dangling around or relays screwed to body metal, so I cut them out of PF4 harness, added a metripack connector and put main relay and fuse into bussmann box together with others.

I also shortened leads to surge tank (it was couple feet too long) and got rid of extra connectors there.

Finally, I took stock engine bay harness out and inspected all wires. I replaced factory Jeep splices - they were corroded (Jeep used regular duct tape to wrap them), so new splices and marine grade heatshrink over them. Removed all unused wires - mainly ignition (PF4 is replacing Duraspark box as well), carb/emission circuits (throttle and carb bowl vent solenoids, choke heater and oil pressure switch wires) and exciter wire to the alternator (I’ve replaced stock one with 150 amp powermaster unit which doesn’t need exciter wire).

Another unnecessary, but useful mod was cutting the harness going along driver fender to front lights, horns and washer pump and putting watertight connector there - I prefer more modular harnesses, so I can either take parts out for repairs or easily disconnect circuits for troubleshooting.

So most of my mounts, brackets and harness mods are either specific to my setup or my approach to wiring things, keep that in mind. Some things, like ECU mount plate, are more universal and don’t depend on other things

Comet

Post by Comet »

sirrus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:41 am As for harnesses, it depends on what you need - I have planned to use bussmann relay box for all added fuses and relays even before I started thinking about ProFlo. And I just don’t like inline flag fuses dangling around or relays screwed to body metal, so I cut them out of PF4 harness, added a metripack connector and put main relay and fuse into bussmann box together with others.
That sounds nice, do you have any pics you’d be willing to share?
1979 Cherokee Chief
1978 CJ7
2004 LJ Unlimited
2005 GC WK

JeepNorris

Post by JeepNorris »

Appreciate the detailed response, I started and kinda powered thru forgetting to check back in on this thread before having to leave for Texas. I got everything installed and put back together but didn't have time to get wire from coil to distributor made and installed nor the coolant put back in. When I get back this weekend I can finish hookup/start up.

I too used the same sump pump and ended up using flat stock strapping. Isn't as pretty as urs but is mostly hidden under the reservoirs so I think I'm good..

Fingers crossed 🤞 it'll start and not leak when I get home..

D.stromberg94

Post by D.stromberg94 »

Sorry to necro the thread, but it is the most current and relevant thread I've seen. I am currently installing PF4 and an Edelbrock Surge Tank on my 84 360.

My primary question is if either of you guys swapped the factory distributor timing gear onto the new supplied distributor or if you ran it as it came in the box.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

I swapped factory gear onto new distributor after reading all horror stories about chewed up gears

D.stromberg94

Post by D.stromberg94 »

Very well. Sounds like I'll be pulling it to swap the gear tomorrow then. Good thing someone else in a Wagoneer Facebook group exploded their gear well before I finished, otherwise I had no idea about this haha Thanks for replying

JeepNorris

Post by JeepNorris »

Update, my new distributor ate my cam gear for lunch after a few weeks of driving. Now having to replace both the new distributor gear and the old cam gear. while in there will be replacing the timing chain and water pump. any feedback on the GMB 110-1040P? Is it junk, good or should I invest in a higher quality FlowKooler or Milodon?