Dakota digital VHX

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
hutcho

Dakota digital VHX

Post by hutcho »

Anyone running these yet? Mine is a 79 but I'm sure it's the same or similar throughout all the cluster types in this line. I am doing some research on these and I would like to know where the gear shift indicator shows up in the cluster? Or does the add on make it show up elsewhere? Planning on the comp/temp as well so I'm hoping that the prndl is not gonna take up the same space. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Phils67

Re: Dakota digital VHX

Post by Phils67 »

I have them in my 67 but they are different for your year. Personally it's a love/,hate relationship on mine. I love their functionality and ease to use/set but I hate theasthetics. Yours won't be so bad because it goes under your bezel. Mine is basically a black rectangle. On mine the shift lights aren't hookedup but most of that stuff is either up by the tach or shows in the odometer area
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

I have the new DD analog instrument panel like phil said the panels are a hassle at least for me because they are so universal, i.e. have to be programed to accept the inputs you are using which is good,bad part is their instruction leave much to be desired, don't always work the way DD says they should, tech support is better than usual but not great, have messed with at least 5 different DD IP's and all have their quirks.
Recommend installing module where you can get to it, been using a radar detector to set to calibrate MPH, could use an Ipad with the right software,used a late model GM fuel tank with 90-240 ohms, LM7 temp sender,and 8 pole tranducer on my Dana 20, did not use shift indicator but considering the problems with the chevy van column we used (never got the pointer quite right) should have tried.
Like most things in the aftermarket it takes lots of patience to get it right!

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

Have you looked at Intelletronix gauges? Cheaper than DD and you can customize the layout and basically build your own setup
1967 Gladiator J2000, 1998 4.0L OBD2, T18, D20 twin sticks, D44HD/D60, Detroit lockers, 3.73s, 4wheel disc brake, FSSR, Dakota digital, etc.

Topic author
hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Phils67 wrote:Have you looked at Intelletronix gauges? Cheaper than DD and you can customize the layout and basically build your own setup
Do they have a replacement cluster?

Phils67

Post by Phils67 »

It looks like it's a blank panel you cut to size and place the gauges where you want them. I dont know anything about the product really because I never used it but may be an alternative

sonoraed
Vendor

Post by sonoraed »

Did discover something last weekend while dialing in my Dakota Digital VHX panel, have a LM7 (04 Tahoe) tach not right , have to set tach for 4cyl when using the oem GM pcm.

Topic author
hutcho

Post by hutcho »

That is good to know!! I'm a ways out from pulling the trigger on them, hopefully I remember that when the time comes

DARREN LILLY

Post by DARREN LILLY »

I can get a set of 86-91 dakota guages cheap but mines a 79 can these be adapted to fit easily
1979 chief 360 auto QT Australia

Topic author
hutcho

Post by hutcho »

86-91 are square. I'm pretty sure they won't work. I could be wrong though