Novak EFI Fuel Pump (How is it working for you?)

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
Cataldo

Novak EFI Fuel Pump (How is it working for you?)

Post by Cataldo »

I would like those of us who have experience with the Novak Drop in EFI Pump and Sending unit assembly to chime in and let us know how it is working for you.

The Big Questions
-Any Fuel Starvation issues??
-How long/miles do you have on it?

If you have experiences with other pump systems please share as well.
Jay

1975 Jeep Wagoneer: 350 SBC, TH400, Q/T, D44's 3.54:1's. Hell Creek 4" lift with BFG KO2 33x10.5s.

1988 Jeep Wrangler: 305 SBC, TBI, 700r4, NP231c with SYE, 9" w/ Detroit and 4.11:1, 5.25" of lift, 31's. Done up as a Jurassic Park Jeep (Her's)

1973 Chevy Camaro: Vortec 350, 200-4r, GM 8.5 3.23's. 12.4 @ 108mph.

1965 Ford Mustang: Aluminum Headed 347, c4, 3.00:1 gears, High 12's (Her's).

Looking for 1 good factory Kidney Bean Mag in Southern California for use as a matching spare

PUDS

Re: Novak EFI Fuel Pump (How is it working for you?)

Post by PUDS »

I don't have the Novak but was doing the same research a while back. After looking into it, it was quite obvious that it's way cheaper to buy a sending unit and a pump and build your own unit. I paid $45 for the sending unit from BJS and $90 for a Walbro pump and have it at a local shop that does radiators and fuel services, they're drilling out the stock return line tube, replacing it with 3/8 and soldering GM clip style quick disconnects on each of the tube ends to go with the Nylon fuel lines they've made for me. All in with new lines and cleaning of my tank and everything I should be about the same price as just the Novak unit.

1988 GW 360/727/NP229
4" BJ'S Lift
Thorley Headers/Magnaflow Exh
Edelbrock Intake
Fitech TBI (in the works)
32" BFG KM2'S
Razor Grill
///This is a project vehicle///

celijahk

Post by celijahk »

Bought the Novak assembly and it fell apart after 6 months and never registered on my gauge.

RamJetFSJ

Post by RamJetFSJ »

You will have fuel starvation issues with that style of setup and the stock tank. The tank has no baffles necessary for EFI. It will work fine when the tank is full though.

I have been using a surge tank setup on my EFI, and it has been flawless. Only downsides are more noise due to external pumps, and the added cost of the extra pump and surge tank. But IMHO, it’s the only way to do it right without a baffled EFI tank. My engine can run without a fuel pressure hiccup for probably 5 minutes for every minute the in tank pickup is submerged.

I will do a baffled tank and in tank pump one day.
80 Wag in 73 attire, Ram Jet 350 power

TeaBag

Post by TeaBag »

I modified the existing Sending unit by drilling out existing 1/4 in return and brazing in a 3/8 repair line found at most auto parts stores. Connected a walbro pump to the 3/8 supply line and used a Holley Hydra mat in lieu or the filter that comes with the pump. I have successfully run down to 1-1.5 gallons of gas with this setup before the engine became starved for fuel with the stock tank.

The pic is a mock up of my set up. Missing from the pic is a hose clamp at the at the top of the 3/8 in rubber hose and the pump electrical connections.

You will have to install it in two separate steps because the tank access hole is very small. I installed the pump with hose and filter on in the tank first, then the sending unit portion and then connected the pump to the sender. It's a bit awkward, but doable. temporarily removing the rollover valves allows you to look into the tank with the assembly installed and ensure your pump is reaching all the way to the bottom of the tank.

To increase the longevity of the Hydramat, I dropped the tank, drained it completely, and thoroughly washed the inside of the tank with a pressure washer and a strong degreaser. Shop vac all remaining water out of the tank and don't reinstall until you can confirm the inside of the tank is completely dry and clean. A hair dryer can help speed that process up. CAUTION: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOPVAC FUEL OUT OF THE TANK.

Also- ensure you use submersible fuel line for the in-tank portion of the rubber hose. It's pricey, but shouldn't deteriorate over time, inside the tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LMJ20

Post by LMJ20 »

Curious what model walbro pump everyone is using?
I also saw one guy saying he used an off the shelf GM pump. Also looking for a part number on that one too

area52

Post by area52 »

Just got my in tank pump from BJ's. They said it's supposed to be for ls swaps. Opened the package and found the rubber fuel lines say " not for fuel injection system" on the sides.

Yes I've contacted BJ's. No word yet.
1980 Cherokee undergoing surgery

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite »

After owning and messing with the Sniper unit and the stock tank for quite a while and never being fully satisfied with it, I decided the best thing for the long haul was to swap to a baffled tank and an in-tank pump. Went with the aluminum tank from BJ's. Ran soft 3/8 EFI rated hose the entire length (clamped inside the frame rail in multiple spots) for both supply and return lines. Just had to cut the original fill and vent tubes to a new length. Ran a 5/16 vent line to a breather mounted just above the tank, behind the rear fender well. So far things are working just fine. Much quieter now with the in tank pump and of course more range with the added capacity. I am on 33" tires, so a spare would not fit in the stock location anymore anyway. Now just to find a home for my old MTS tank....