Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.
Post Reply

Topic author
Theodore
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by Theodore » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:29 am

Am working on a 1990 Grand Wagoneer, with fuel injection installed on it. Admittedly, the wiring's a mess - am working on cleaning it up, with the eventual goal being to get another wiring harness & replace the hack job i have. The goal right now is to improve the drivability before jumping into something like that.

I think the ignition coil is a Motorcraft type, but am not sure - am wondering if there's some kind of connector that would enable a factory type click connection with terminals that would clean this up - make it look better, while increasing the reliability, and ridding the setup of butt-splices? As you can see, there's 3 wires that go to positive(+), and 1 going to negative(-).

Image

User avatar

Stuka
Site Admin
Posts: 9899
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 5:53 pm
Location: Sonora, CA
Contact:

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by Stuka » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:13 am

Thats a TFI ignition. Its a very common upgrade over the stock setup. And, you can indeed get a connector that plugs into that. When I did a TFI on my J10 many ages ago, I used a CRT Performance kit, which came with the connector as seen here: https://crtperformance.com/shop/ols/pro ... box-gold-6

I bet if you call them, you can buy just the connector with the pig tails on it.
2017 JKU Rubicon Lifted and stuff
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ[/size]


Topic author
Theodore
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by Theodore » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 am

Thanks, Stuka. ? - do you know if there's a connector that i could use upstream that would take 3 wires in & 1 out to the connector recommended, that would get me out of butt-splices? So far, everything i see is 3-in/3-out.


Topic author
Theodore
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by Theodore » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:08 am

Poking around, i've found a '3-way bullet connector' from Pico (Part number: 1882QT) at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco- ... gLrovD_BwE. The kicker is: i've not been able to find a 4-way that would clean the connection up.

User avatar

babywag
Posts: 1199
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Land of Fruit Loops & Coconuts

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by babywag » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:31 pm

any parts store '86-'95 ford mustang/trucks etc.
$10-$15
ask for coil pigtail connector
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag) '90 GW (aka JunkBucket) both fuel injected.


sirrus
Vendor
Posts: 406
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 pm
Location: Hillsboro, OR

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by sirrus » Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 am

Theodore wrote:Poking around, i've found a '3-way bullet connector' from Pico (Part number: 1882QT) at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco- ... gLrovD_BwE. The kicker is: i've not been able to find a 4-way that would clean the connection up.
Why not just solder it all and get rid of butt connectors and multicolored pieces of wire?
1988 Grand Wagoneer - bone stock (AMC 360, TF727, NP229), slowly turning into reliable and nice daily driver

Relay modules and other parts for sale

How to clean electric switches (power windows, locks, seats)


Topic author
Theodore
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by Theodore » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm

sirrus wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 am
Theodore wrote:Poking around, i've found a '3-way bullet connector' from Pico (Part number: 1882QT) at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco- ... gLrovD_BwE. The kicker is: i've not been able to find a 4-way that would clean the connection up.
Why not just solder it all and get rid of butt connectors and multicolored pieces of wire?
Think Ill take the advice & go that way. Had fought the idea of soldering given the difficulty of not having an extra hand, til I tripped across this magnetic third hand on Summit the other day, while looking for other stuff related to the Jeep project. Hopefully, itll be here to try this wknd.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-55000/reviews

User avatar

babywag
Posts: 1199
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 pm
Location: Land of Fruit Loops & Coconuts

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by babywag » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 am

Theodore wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm
sirrus wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 am
Theodore wrote:Poking around, i've found a '3-way bullet connector' from Pico (Part number: 1882QT) at Summit: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco- ... gLrovD_BwE. The kicker is: i've not been able to find a 4-way that would clean the connection up.
Why not just solder it all and get rid of butt connectors and multicolored pieces of wire?
Think Ill take the advice & go that way. Had fought the idea of soldering given the difficulty of not having an extra hand, til I tripped across this magnetic third hand on Summit the other day, while looking for other stuff related to the Jeep project. Hopefully, itll be here to try this wknd.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-55000/reviews
Using the correct pigtail soldering is what ya do...
Standard Motor Products S539 Pigtail/Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C83T1C/re ... IFbC1RRE8G


Topic author
Theodore
Posts: 129
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Ignition Coil Wiring - looking for a better way

Post by Theodore » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:42 pm

babywag wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:38 am
Theodore wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:56 pm
sirrus wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:32 am

Why not just solder it all and get rid of butt connectors and multicolored pieces of wire?
Think Ill take the advice & go that way. Had fought the idea of soldering given the difficulty of not having an extra hand, til I tripped across this magnetic third hand on Summit the other day, while looking for other stuff related to the Jeep project. Hopefully, itll be here to try this wknd.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-55000/reviews
Using the correct pigtail soldering is what ya do...
Standard Motor Products S539 Pigtail/Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C83T1C/re ... IFbC1RRE8G
Yep, we are on the same page. Have a load of stuff coming in from Summit that should all be here first of the week - sets me up for next weekend clean this up.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest