Holley Sniper/HyperSpark CD vs MSD 6A

For everything related to using Fuel Injection in an FSJ.

Topic author
melford72

Holley Sniper/HyperSpark CD vs MSD 6A

Post by melford72 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:36 pm

Been having some intermittent issues with my Sniper. Sometimes it will run flawlessly. Then other times it will start popping, misfiring and swinging back and forth from lean (25.0+) to rich (9.0). The engine sputters and sometimes dies. Does it cold, warm, at idle, or on the freeway — just totally random. And then as quickly as the problem starts, it starts running fine again.

I've tested a bunch of stuff, and at this point I strongly suspect the Hyperspark control unit is going haywire. So I'd like to plug in an MSD 6A (have access to a used one) to see if that eliminates the problem. And I found this: https://forums.holley.com/showthread.ph ... 6AL-series

Anyone know if they are actually the same?
72 Wagoneer
360, Edelbrock intake
Sniper TBI and Electronic Ignition
3-inch lift, 31x10.5 Mickey Thompsons

Topic author
melford72

Re: Holley Sniper/HyperSpark CD vs MSD 6A

Post by melford72 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:26 pm

To answer my own question, they actually are basically the same — just in case anyone else ends up asking. But (interestingly) the MSD unit is slightly more expensive. So this is one time that Holley's product actually might save you money.

I'm going to replace the control module and see if that gets rid of the problem. Hopefully, it will.
72 Wagoneer
360, Edelbrock intake

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:09 am

I guess at this point there is no reason to go back to a basic duraspark unit? Mine has been running fine with a stock style distributor. Although without the ability to control timing. Have been considering going to the hyperspark, but with no issues so far, I am hesitant to add more electronics to the mix. Have you called and talked to Holley? Maybe send them some data?

Topic author
melford72

Post by melford72 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:55 am

Well, it wasn't the control unit. I've talked to Holley and bunch of times and sent them datalogs. They are as stumped as I am. From their perspective, everything is working as it should.

I'm thinking maybe something is messed up with my mechanicals that I'm just overlooking or maybe I've got an intermittent short somewhere. But I've been trying to figure this out for months now and I'm no closer. Might just sell the sniper, switch back to a carb and just be done with it. It's not like the Sniper was improving my fuel economy anyway...
72 Wagoneer
360, Edelbrock intake

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Have you talked to Chris at EFISystemPro? He seems to know more about the Sniper than the people at Holley.
Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

1979bettywhite

Post by 1979bettywhite » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:46 am

I know that my sniper system is very sensitive to voltage. If I drop back below a constant 12V it will shut itself down. I have to be careful when rolling up and down my back window. As that tends to draw me down to 12V or so. Usually run a constant 14.1 or so. Have my idle set to 700. Any lower than that and my alternator doesn't do a great job charging the system.

Was at home depot the other day. Thought I would roll up the back window as I started through the parking lot. Nope, sniper shut us down. Had power to everything but the sniper was not having the low voltage. Started back up fine when not pulling extra volts.

Have thought about moving to a better charging alternator just for the sniper system.

But I somewhat understand your frustration with electronics. There is something very pleasurable about my CJ-5 with basically no electronics anywhere. Cranks every time and I know where to go looking if it doesn't.

Topic author
melford72

Post by melford72 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:37 am

1979bettywhite wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:46 am
But I somewhat understand your frustration with electronics. There is something very pleasurable about my CJ-5 with basically no electronics anywhere. Cranks every time and I know where to go looking if it doesn't.
Hahaha. I understand that feeling. If I was you, I wouldn't bother with timing control (as I didn't experience much more in terms of better mileage, etc.), but lot of people on here will disagree with me that you aren't getting as much out of your EFI until you have timing control. All I know is that my truck was running great before the whole Sniper/Hyperspark debacle. And it's obviously just a matter of me not being able to figure out what's messed up — but now my truck is generating a ton of stress. (Did I mention it's my daily?)

I'm going to actually take a lesson from you and try running it without timing control before I abandon the throttle body. I'm 95% sure it's just a matter of the timing not syncing correctly — not like a mechanical problem at all — because the problem seems to come and go so much. Hopefully, that will make it work. Will post an update.
72 Wagoneer
360, Edelbrock intake

Topic author
melford72

Post by melford72 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:38 am

KJ Ryu wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Have you talked to Chris at EFISystemPro? He seems to know more about the Sniper than the people at Holley.
Have not talked to Chris about it, but a good recommendation for a next step. Thanks.
72 Wagoneer
360, Edelbrock intake