Looking for someone in Fresno area

FSJ Related Events in the Pacific Time Zone

Topic author
x98boardwell

Looking for someone in Fresno area

Post by x98boardwell »

I am in need of a donor vehicle for reference when I try and assemble the smog pump and emissions set up on my vehicle. I had purchased the vehicle out of the state and all related smog stuff was ripped off.

I have sourced most of the missing parts and need a vehicle to look at while I install these parts or at least to take photo's of for reference.

Any help is appreciated. Always willing to pay in beer, food and laughs.

Thanks,
Bryan

PM your info.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Looking for someone in Fresno area

Post by Stuka »

What year is the vehicle, and what engine does it have? There were several setups used over the years. Also if its a 49 state vehicle, I do not think it has to meet 50 state emissions.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Since you have to smog it, you need to have everything it came with and have it installed properly. The BAR is very strict and your rig can fail the visual inspection if the timing delay valve is not the proper color. Testing stations refer to the Chiltons manual for all equipment and that is your best bet for getting things right.
Often, you can find the emissions manuals at your local library where you can scan/copy the diagrams and details. Failing that, you could always visit a testing station and ask the tech to show you the pages and probably allow you to take photos of them if there is no scan/copy machine available. Lastly, you can find digital copies of the manuals online for a fee.

FSJs are rare enough in the Central Valley and finding one the same year and engine that has passed the testing might be darn near impossible.

As Stuka mentioned, there are different emissions packages depending on where the vehicle was sold. If your is a later Mopar era FSJ, you should have a white or silver emissions decal under the hood. If so, and it's legible, it will show 49, 50 state or California Only on it.
Should you follow through with this be prepared for a retest or two. You can somewhat game the system if you have Quadratrac, or even if your rig has been converted to part-time but you tell the tech it is F/T you can avoid the dyno test which will expose a marginally dirty engine. My 76 401 Waggy passed the second time after some minor idle mixture adjustments and a metering rod change.
Speaking of carbs...I managed to pass the visual inspection with the Edelbrock 1401 (I think that's the model) because it has been CARB approved as a replacement for GM Q-Jet and Holley equipped cars. I had to do a little gentle persuasion but it worked. It really depends on the tech so it's a roll of the dice.

If you provide some more info I am sure we can help you get things sorted.

Jim
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
x98boardwell

Post by x98boardwell »

Thanks for the input.

It is a 49 state I believe and was originally sold outside of CA. It is a 1984 GW with a 360. It does have the decal under the hood also which lays out the emissions map.

I have sourced most of the parts and will be installing them in a couple weeks. Until then it's grounded but wanted to see what I could come up with in the meantime so I am ready when the parts arrive.

I will be putting the smog pump and associated parts on, installing a CARB legal catalytic converter and any other items that need fixing while I'm in there. It has 109k on the clock and has been repainted its original Iris or Ice Blue..

78basewag

Post by 78basewag »

I live in Fresno and have a 78 Wagoneer. It passed smog this year and it is also a 49 state federal equipped Wagoneer. Mine only has the smog pump. It is quadra-trac and has duel tanks so was able to bypass the dyno and the evap test. I don't know if mine will help, but your welcome to look at it.

Andy
1978 Wagoneer 360 2bbl Quadra-trac

Topic author
x98boardwell

Post by x98boardwell »

Andy, thanks. I am out of town for a few days and should be around this weekend if that would work. I'll PM you.

Thanks,
Bryan