1968 Jeep J3000 Tail Light Wiring Harness

Place to put want ads for FSJ parts
Forum rules
Please read the sales area rules before posting here. Thanks!

Topic author
Harry Dawg

1968 Jeep J3000 Tail Light Wiring Harness

Post by Harry Dawg »

Looking for the wiring harness that connects at the block near the driver side wheel well, and runs back to the tail lights & reverse lights.

See pics for reference. ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist

Yeller

Re: 1968 Jeep J3000 Tail Light Wiring Harness

Post by Yeller »

I wound up rewiring the rear part on mine due to connectivity issues in the original, I couldn’t keep the lights functioning, the problem was the connectors, so I removed them and soldered the wires together.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

That's what I was originally going to do, but found myself scratching my head about where some of the wires go.

For example, the reverse lights only have one wire with a bullet connector coming out of the housing.
No where to plug them into the factory wiring harness.
Is this just a ground? How would they get power?

My harness also only has 2 hot wires for the running lights / brakes, so I can't figure out where the tag lights plug into.

I have the TSM, but it's kind of lacking on detailed wiring diagrams (i,e. wire color descriptions, connector type etc.)
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Harry Dawg wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:54 am That's what I was originally going to do, but found myself scratching my head about where some of the wires go.

For example, the reverse lights only have one wire with a bullet connector coming out of the housing.
No where to plug them into the factory wiring harness.
Is this just a ground? How would they get power?

My harness also only has 2 hot wires for the running lights / brakes, so I can't figure out where the tag lights plug into.

I have the TSM, but it's kind of lacking on detailed wiring diagrams (i,e. wire color descriptions, connector type etc.)
If you can contact me and give me some measurements, I could make one for you that is a little more updated connectors instead of the older 56 or 59 Series that are there. Whenever I am building harnesses for my vehicles or other customer's vehicles and the harness is exposed to the weather, I prefer to at a minimum use a Weather-Pack connector. That way you are not as concerned with oxidation and everything else that happens when the connector is exposed to the weather.

With that being said, it really isn't too bad to make this harness like previously stated. The yellow wire that is in a 1 way connector is going to be for your reverse lights. Depending on which connector you are looking at, if it is the 4 way connector, the white wire is for your fuel tank sending unit, the orange wire goes to the PS rear turn signal light, the light blue wire goes to the DS rear turn signal light and the other yellow wire is for the both tail lights and the license plate light. If I have a little bit of free time today, I can draw up a quick schematic for you with color and post it on here. If you have any questions on anything, feel free to let me know.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Here is just a quick sketch on Excel. The blue boxes are where connectors are labeled on the schematics. I labeled the other ones. That wire going to the sending unit is white.
ImageScreenshot (32) by Joshua Oman, on Flickr
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Hey RunUOver86GW.

Thanks for the info. I am of the "teach and man to fish, feed him for life" train of thought, so given this information I think I would like to try my hand at fixing it up in house.

Will let y'all know how it goes.

Topic author
Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Let there be light!

It only took me 6 months, but I have working brake lights and a working passenger side turn signal.

Gonna see if I can get the rest of it working today.

Replaced the whole wiring harness from the 4 way connector back and replaced with th suggested weather pack connectors.

1 question, there are only 2 leads coming from the tail light, but 3 wires that need to be plugged in. (Turn signal, running lights and brake light switch wire)

Which ones share a wire? I am guessing the brake light wire and turn signal wire share a lead?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk