Relay upgrades (windows, tailgate, locks and headlights)

Place to buy and sell FSJ parts.
Forum rules
Please read the sales area rules before posting here. Thanks!

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Relay upgrades (windows, tailgate, locks and headlights)

Post by sirrus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:47 pm

I'm starting to make relay modules for tailgate window, door windows, power locks and potentially headlights. Everyone probably knows harnesses that sereehill was making - that is my solution for the same problem. Adding relays to the systems addresses multiple issues that factory wiring has by taking the electrical load of the switches and delivering full current to window motors, lock actuator or headlights. As a result you're getting more reliable operation, prolonging your switches life and more important - faster movement of windows and locks or significantly brighter headlights.

Core of any module I'm making is waterproof relay/fuse holder that can house either two 35A micro ISO relays (for power windows and locks) or two 20A ultra micro ISO relays and mini (ATM/APM) two fuses (for headlights, more details below). I'm also using high-quality 12 gauge GXL wire for all connections. Module itself is very compact and intended to be mounted inside tailgate or the door.

Installation is easy - you need to make 2 cuts in existing wiring, crimp 5 connectors, connect the module and mount it. I designed it to keep modifications to original wiring minimal and to be able to easily revert back to factory operation if desired. Headlight harness does not require any cutting at all - it plugs into your factory light connectors and power points.

Tailgate window module - $60 (domestic US shipping included)
Kit includes module itself with all wires, connectors and plastic mount plate with adhesive tape. All wires are labeled to make installation easy. If you prefer using butt connectors instead of quick disconnects - let me know, I can include them instead.

Here's how the kit looks:

I posted installation writeup with some pictures here, more detailed instructions are coming

Door window module - $60 (domestic US shipping included), coming soon
You'll need 4 of them to do all windows. Even though it's electrically same as tailgate one, but I still have to install and test on my rig and figure out wire length and connectors. Should be able to start shipping them in late March

Power locks module - $60 (domestic US shipping included), coming soon
One module serves all 4 locks. Will be available in late March (same as window modules)

Headlight module/harness - coming soon (if there's interest)
For headlight I have 2 options in mind:
  • Compact - uses ultra micro ISO relays (max 20A for low beam and 20A for high) and two mini fuses. Enough current capacity if you plan to run standard 55/60W lights
  • Power - uses micro ISO relays (max 35A for low beam and 35A for high) and external inline fuses. You need this one if you're planning to run high wattage light (like 80/100W). I expect it to be slightly more expensive
I'd like to know if there's interest for any of those options, price should be like $90-100 with shipping

Installation instructions
I'm finishing instructions now, will post them here next week

For any questions - feel free to ask me here or send me a PM
1988 Grand Wagoneer - bone stock (AMC 360, TF727, NP229), slowly turning into reliable daily driver

Relay modules and other parts for sale

Nutsiam

Re: Relay upgrades (windows, tailgate, locks and headlights)

Post by Nutsiam » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Do you have any videos of stock tailgate movement and videos then a video with this installed for us to see the difference.
1988 Grand Wagoneer Buff Yellow New to me August 2019
1st GW 1988 Charcoal burnt to the ground. Ya CHARCOAL
1990 GW Parts vehicle, no motor, no fog lights, no right front marker light, no chrome on top of windshield. All parts moving to the buff one.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:54 pm

I have a video that I took after installing relays

https://youtu.be/rTvhgF3a974

I didn’t think of recording it before installation, but I can disconnect relays and do it on Monday.

I have to say though that my window was moving quite good before relays due to good condition of wiring and the fact that I disassembled and cleaned both key and dash switches before, so there is difference but it’s not that big. What was more important for me is that before relays motor was really struggling trying to overcome friction of inner and outer wipes and that lead to changing speed when rolling up or down. Anyway, once I get back home (Monday), I’ll try to make a video with relay module.

Overall the difference in movement speed really depends on condition of wiring, connectors and switches - if your switches are really corroded and burnt it would be way more noticeable than on a rig with clean ones. In any case having relays switch high currents helps keep contacts in switches from burning up
1988 Grand Wagoneer - bone stock (AMC 360, TF727, NP229), slowly turning into reliable daily driver

Zorm

Post by Zorm » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:19 am

Sirrus, I am restoring the 71 Ford in my sig and will be installing power door locks and windows. Made the bedside tool box my power module,

anyway, when you make these, I could get a set, only 2 door though. I would also need a wire diagram so I can splice into my new harness

thanks
83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles)
4" lift, 351w in the works
78 Cherokee Chief 304
2007 SeaRay 205
71 F-250 Camper Special 390

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi everyone, I had a bad fall while snowboarding last Saturday :banghead:

Having this cast makes doing almost everything more difficult (I'm right handed, of course :banghead: ), but not impossible. I'm not yet sure if I need surgery or not, but that definitely slows my original plans a bit. Not sure when I'll have a chance of making and installing window modules on my rig, however I'm still working on finishing instructions and wiring diagrams and committed to making those modules.

Zorm, great idea with power module on the slides! Wiring diagrams are in work along with installation instructions, but I'm not sure when I'll have them ready given that I'm mostly single-handed now :D

It also occurred to me that people may have other preferred way of connecting those rather than what I'm using now (t tap and ring terminals for power and quick disconnects for inputs/outputs). If that's the case - let me know

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:44 pm

I can't edit my first post for some reason, so putting wiring diagrams and instructions in this post

Internal wiring of module and wire color code

Tailgate:

Power windows (1 module per window):

Power locks (1 module for all 4 locks):

Tailgate installation instruction (PDF)

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:00 pm

I am also making rubber stops for tailgate - $5 for pair

If yours are gone or rotten and you're installing tailgate relay kit - might get those as well

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:50 pm

Nutsiam wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:41 pm
Do you have any videos of stock tailgate movement and videos then a video with this installed for us to see the difference.
Installed relays in all doors this weekend and finally did a before/after video on a rear left door: before and after

Nutsiam

Post by Nutsiam » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:59 pm

Thank you sir that is definitely a big difference
1988 Grand Wagoneer Buff Yellow New to me August 2019
1st GW 1988 Charcoal burnt to the ground. Ya CHARCOAL
1990 GW Parts vehicle, no motor, no fog lights, no right front marker light, no chrome on top of windshield. All parts moving to the buff one.

killerinstinct

Post by killerinstinct » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:31 pm

Great Post! How did your headlights come out? Would love to see the difference on those as I might be interested in that, if not to difficult to install your kit.

Thanks
Cesar

Topic author
sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:00 pm

I've created new thread in Vendors section that I'm going to be using from now - https://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18630
Sorry for one more thread, but I need to be able to edit and update posts and I'd like to keep all information in the first one - and it's not possible in the Parts Sales subforum

killerinstinct - PM sent