Camping - Roof Top Tent on the Wagoneer

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Camping - Roof Top Tent on the Wagoneer

Post by Lumpskie »

So, last weekend, Wifey and I decided to give the RTT a test. It would be our first time camping in the Wagoneer, first time using the RTT and Lil Chunky's first camping trip! (Lots of firsts!) So, we decided to go to a propery that my buddy owns. We'd camp "off trail" and my buddy would bring his motor home and camp along the road that runs through his land, just in case we need support.

So, we hit the road and headed south and hit the dirt. Nutnut, our dog, was happy.

We meandered our way up his road, looking for a good spot to pull off and get into the woods.

After a while, we found a good spot to pull off:

After we got off the road, we continued down into the forest.

And we decided to set up in a little clearing within the trees.

We took our canopy (this is family camping after all!) and set up in a little meadow near the creek.

After that, it was dinner time.

That night, we discovered that the Jeep was a little nose high. So we decided to move the Jeep to another spot that was a bit more level.

We found a better spot, but decided that it needed even a little more leveling. So, here's the solution we came up with. (Note that my wife didn't like th RTT ladder, so I just used my "Little Giant" along side it. It worked great!)

We spent the rest of the day chopping/cutting down standing dead timber on the property. Man, that was a lot of fun.

Evidence of the cougar that lives on the property. He's eating well.

Lil Chunky was had a great time "working" with us all day.

And Nutnut had more fun than she could handle.

After all that work, we enjoyed the evening. Our new spot was perfect.

The next day, we packed up and had to head back to civilization. It was a fun trip, but too short. I can't wait to go back.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Tatsadasayago

Re: Camping - Roof Top Tent on the Wagoneer

Post by Tatsadasayago »

It's nice to see you getting a chance to use your Jeep as intended and nothing broke.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

ZiRiu

Post by ZiRiu »

I was under the impression the roofs on these can't support very much weight. Did you reinforce it or does that large roof rack just spread it more evenly?
1981 Wagoneer

360, TF727, NP-219 T-Case, D44 front, AMC 20 rear.

csuengr

Post by csuengr »

It's nice that you brought a photographer along with you.
1977 Cherokee S, Ford 5.0, 5 speed, BW 1356, 33 x 10.50 BFG's. No longer my DD.
2007 Mercury Milan, 2.3L, 5-speed, now my DD. 29 mpg average.

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

ZiRiu wrote:I was under the impression the roofs on these can't support very much weight. Did you reinforce it or does that large roof rack just spread it more evenly?

The rack seems to be on the drip rails so a little more foot print to spread the load.

Pretty nice trip good time to be out.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

jsinajeep

Post by jsinajeep »

Look like you had a good time. And I enjoyed the pictures.

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

looks like a blast! glad the tent worked. Always wondered how they worked.

Roof is quite strong near the drip rails, I've found.
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

You guys covered it. I'm using 2 Yakima drip rail roof racks that spread the load out and put it on the drip rail. As far as I can tell, the system works great and can handle the weight of a tent with 2 adults, 1 baby and gear without an issue.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg

mwood

Post by mwood »

Nice rig, but FAR too high for me.
I would get up in the middle of the night to pee and break a hip trying to climb down in the dark...

Besides it's too small, where do you put the flat screen and DVD player?!?!?! And what about the fridge?!?!

When you get old your idea of camping changes for some people...lol

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

mwood wrote:Nice rig, but FAR too high for me.
I would get up in the middle of the night to pee and break a hip trying to climb down in the dark...

Besides it's too small, where do you put the flat screen and DVD player?!?!?! And what about the fridge?!?!

When you get old your idea of camping changes for some people...lol
Haha, I know what you mean. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about building up an old Airstream and making it the family "glamping" rig. That way we could camp in the middle of winter and have, basically, a towable cabin.

ZiRiu

Post by ZiRiu »

Lumpskie wrote:
Haha, I know what you mean. Lately, I've been thinking a lot about building up an old Airstream and making it the family "glamping" rig. That way we could camp in the middle of winter and have, basically, a towable cabin.
Old guy who lives near me has a a big two axle air stream he tows behind his 2wd Cummins. Thing is massive and has tons of room inside but he says he can barely feel it even when going over the Continental Divide. Only downside is his is stock so it's pure early 80s inside and would need to be completely gutted if someone else bought it.
1981 Wagoneer

360, TF727, NP-219 T-Case, D44 front, AMC 20 rear.

Topic author
Lumpskie

Post by Lumpskie »

Hey ZiRiu,

Do you live in CO?

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Awesome trip! Glad you shared it!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'