Parking Lot Rag Joint Replacement

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
3upadventures

Parking Lot Rag Joint Replacement

Post by 3upadventures »

Things I DO NOT recommend:

Being 300 miles from home, hearing a clunk in a parking lot, and then realizing that your steering box bolts sheered and took the rag joint with them.

The good news is that it wasn't the previous night on I-15 and that I had my tools with me.

The bad news is that I'm not a mechanic and it took me 6 hours in a Wells Fargo parking lot but damn it, I fixed it. All by myself.

Full story here: 3Up Adventures: Replacing Rag Joint
1998 Cherokee "Ruth"
1977 Cherokee "Francis" [Sold]

[url=http://3upadventures.com!]3UpAdventures.com[/url]: Outdoor adventure, travel, simple living, and a big ol' jeep.

Herk

Re: Parking Lot Rag Joint Replacement

Post by Herk »

For future reference, it's easier to just replace the assembly http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lare ... 18340126-P

Topic author
3upadventures

Post by 3upadventures »

Herk wrote:For future reference, it's easier to just replace the assembly http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/lare ... 18340126-P
Yup, I found that in my research but there weren't any in stock at the 3 auto parts stores within 2 miles of me. And since I was on foot...that's what I did. ;)
1998 Cherokee "Ruth"

[url=http://3upadventures.com!]3UpAdventures.com[/url]: Outdoor adventure, travel, simple living, and a big ol' jeep.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

Way to go on the 'Field Expedient Repair'.
I've found that when one is immobile due to a mechanical failure, the ingenuity factor goes up proportionally to the distance from home.
Your steering box was probably loose for a long time, maybe even years and this is likely why you didn't notice the extra play. I wager you now notice an improvement in your steering. :)

Well done!
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

lkmarsh

Post by lkmarsh »

Good Job getting yourself out of a bad nasty jam! You should be able to pull the steering wheel and center it. Any idea why the bolts broke?
Lyle
69 1414x Buick350/Th400/D20
PDB, HEI, relays, rallyes, rhino, rust...
73 Wagoneer parts donor

shimniok

Post by shimniok »

Dang. I tried to replace my rag joint several years ago. Usually I can figure most stuff out but that just had (has) me totally clueless. So, yeah, nice going fixing this not just when you have hours to mess around but when you're stranded in a parking lot. Will definitely check out the pix/writeup and maybe i'll finally get mine done before it falls to pieces. :)
Broken Photobucket image in my post? PM me.
'86 GW "Troubled Child" tc.wagoneer.org
360, TBI, 4" Skyjacker, 33" BFG MTs, WT D44+ARB, WT AMC20 + LockRight, CB 2m 6m 70cm, K0FSJ
The world's first Robotic Full Size Jeep!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

They are a major PITA. Congrats on getting the job done, and while away from home!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Mdcptman

Post by Mdcptman »

Wow. Just wow. Im seriously impressed. Amazing accomplishment. Good for u!
88 Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208
Edelbrock 2131, non-EGR
Holley 600
Hydroboost
Hedman headers
Dual exhaust
MSD 6A
TFI conversion
Rusty's 2" Add-a-Leaf kit
31 x 10.5 LT15 Goodyear Wrangler Authority Tires
S-10 Steering Box Mod

Quote From Friend's Mom:
"You don't rely on that vehicle do you?"

will e

Post by will e »

Good for you. Road side repairs are the norm for our old jeeps. Usually it is something a lot more simple. I liked the ratchet strap idea.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
3upadventures

Post by 3upadventures »

will e wrote:I liked the ratchet strap idea.
Holding the damn box up there while trying to line up the bolts was what almost broke me. Those ratchet straps saved my butt. :-bd
1998 Cherokee "Ruth"

Topic author
3upadventures

Post by 3upadventures »

lkmarsh wrote:Any idea why the bolts broke?
No clue. That was honestly the first time I'd taken the FSJ any distance away from home. I've only had it since January.
1998 Cherokee "Ruth"

will e

Post by will e »

3upadventures wrote:
lkmarsh wrote:Any idea why the bolts broke?
No clue. That was honestly the first time I'd taken the FSJ any distance away from home. I've only had it since January.
That's kind of an unusual failure but anything can happen. I am glad you didn't just give up on the rig. Are you planning on hanging out with the Ouray gang this year? If you do there will be a bunch of folks who can give your rig a 'once over' (or maybe a 'twice over') and maybe spot some problem areas.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

A little future trick. I recently had to change a steering box in an XJ which is fun since I broke my shoulder. I screwed a threaded stud into the box's bottom hole and lifted it into place and slid the stud through the frame hole. Made it much easier to hold while putting a bolt in. I need to do it again soon with my Eagle.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle