Old Spanish Trail - Las Vegas

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Old Spanish Trail - Las Vegas

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Well, I'm at it again.

Hadn't driven the jeep in a few weeks so pulled it out of storage Friday night. I had a buddy who needed to do a shake down run with his 56 Willys (with a brand new GM V8 under the hood) before going out to Hump 'N Bump next weekend, so we gathered a few other jeeps and went off to a nice easy trail for the day.

We met up around 11:30 am, and headed into the desert, towards Goodsprings, NV on the old spanish trail or cottonwood canyon or whatever its called.

So, for ONCE I'm not the oldest jeep in the group! Even though everything except the body on that Willys is either brand new or 100% refurbished....we'll still give it credit!

You've all seen it before....dusty roads eventually give way to beautiful desert scenery. With the cooler weather and recent rains, everything was very green.

So we start to climb a bit.

We took a detour and headed up a trail that goes to the 99 Mine, which is where the foot trail that leads to the Carol Lombard plane crash site begins.

The road just got super crummy. It wasnt rough in a good, challenging way, it was just rough in an annoying way, and we just decided to head back to the main trial before we got too far. It was like driving over softball to volleyball size rocks. Blah. Just crappy and rough.

Before i backed up and turned around I paused for a few shots. (FYI at this off camber position my truck was barely running. It was at like 300 RPM and could hardly stay alive, stupid carb, soon as it was actually moving tho it was fine).

Check out my SWEET FLEX!!!!!! OOOH YEAH!!!!! Leaf springs rock!

K, enough embarrassing myself with that lack of flex.

Paused for another pic on the way down. Just though it was a neat spot. Not sure which pic is better.

Like I said, it was fun having an older sibling on this trip, I'm sure my jeep enjoyed the company!

We headed up to an overlook where you can see the entire city of Vegas in the distance. Just some neat pics (me in the red)

Well, the rest of the trail is pretty slow, more of the same desert scenery, more dust, more jeeps.

We all stopped to air up. Well, not me. I didnt air down. But everybody else did.

The coolest part about goodsprings is the world famous Pioneer Saloon. Oldest bar in Clark County.

Pretty much the only way to drink PBR is from a Mason Jar....

Bullet holes in the wall where a man was shot in 1915

The 'Carol Lombard Room'

Anyway, after a beer or two we packed up and headed back to town.

OH, home sweet home....
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

j20owner

Re: Old Spanish Trail - Las Vegas

Post by j20owner »

I see a GPS speedometer on the dash!
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Great photos, thanks for taking the camera. Image

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that uses their GPS for a speedometer. Image
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Great pics! Looks like the weather was beautiful.
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

j20owner wrote:I see a GPS speedometer on the dash!
jaber wrote:Great photos, thanks for taking the camera. Image

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that uses their GPS for a speedometer. Image
Heck yes. My speedo is off by something ridiculous like 18%.

Also, on long trips my speedometer cable tends to come detached and leave my speedo/odometer inoperable....its a shame that happens....especially since I'm registered as a classic vehicle and am limited to only driving 5000 miles a year. ;)

So yeah, a GPS comes in handy haha
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam that makes me the bitter fool I am But this four-wheel buggy is A-dollaring me to death.
For gas and oils and fluids and grease, And wires and tires and anti freeze....And them accessories, Well honey, that's something else.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Great shots!

So funny. Winter is the best time to wheel there. And here Winter Wheeling is basically non-existent.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Stuka wrote:Great shots!

So funny. Winter is the best time to wheel there. And here Winter Wheeling is basically non-existent.
Yes sir! It sure is alot more fun when its 50* vs. 115* and you can stand to be in the sun without some SPF 99. Though trips to the riverand lake aren't as fun :-/

Manimal70

Post by Manimal70 »

Looks like a great time! hanks for sharing those! Hopefully I can get out with the family SOON!

hummer010

Post by hummer010 »

Nice pic's!
With the cooler weather and recent rains, everything was very green.
Must be nice. Around here, everything is white.
'68 J3000 327/T18/D20 Work in Progress (this implies that I actually get time to work on it)

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

Very cool! Thanks for the pics! F.Y.I. I just got back from a Halloween event called the Spook Rally here in Az. There were some pretty gnarly trails and I gained a lot of flex by unhooking the sway bar links. I am going to look into the quick disconnects for it.
Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

Topic author
Dr. Marneaus

Post by Dr. Marneaus »

Jeffsj wrote:Very cool! Thanks for the pics! F.Y.I. I just got back from a Halloween event called the Spook Rally here in Az. There were some pretty gnarly trails and I gained a lot of flex by unhooking the sway bar links. I am going to look into the quick disconnects for it.
Lol, whats a sway bar? Is that some safety thing they put on new-fangled cars?