US 64 in NC, Part 2

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Topic author
MtnYJ

US 64 in NC, Part 2

Post by MtnYJ »

US 64 in NC, Part 2

If you're jumping into this without reading Part 1, you're gonna be a little lost. Go check out part 1 real quick...

http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2005

OK, so either you ignored Part 1 or you're back from catching up with where we are now in the story. If you're just here
to see if we made it, here ya go!

For our fellow geography and stats nerds, here's the stats:
Raleigh to Tennessee
May 24-28, 2013
956.3 trip miles
average 14.7 mpg
best 17.6 mpg
worst 11.9 mpg

First of all, I want to acknowledge how cool of a feat we think this trip was, and what it represented; mostly the fact that
I'm typing this from the couch after getting home without any tow trucks or trailers involved. Only 3 years ago we purchased the Waggy and brought it home with the aid of a come-along and a trailer!

We went from this:
To this:
In 3 years, we think that's pretty cool. I'm sure others could do it better/faster/cheaper but we're pretty proud of ourselves! ;-)

Ok, enough horn tooting, here's the story for Part Deux...
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'76 J20, T-18, Dana 20, no floors
'91 Grand Wagoneer, AMC 360, AX-15, NP208, manual hubs
'93 YJ, 4.0L, 5-SP, flipped Dana 300, Dana 44s
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD
Carolina Full Size Jeep Club President http://www.cfsjc.com

Topic author
MtnYJ

Re: US 64 in NC, Part 2

Post by MtnYJ »

Day 1, May 24
Home to Morganton, NC

Just like Part 1, we took off first thing in the morning and drove the 21 or so miles to the start of this leg of our US 64 trip.

Enough typin. Warming up the Waggy - it was pleasantly cool for late May in this part of NC.

We didn't get far, Waggy and driver needed fuel! Probably also a good time to admit we're addicted to Sheetz. ;-)

US-64 @ I-40 - Just like Part 1, the last "big" sign on this leg of the trip.

Me and Jordan Lake

More Jordan Lake, less Me

It's a road trip, so why not make some random stops!

We had heard good things about the parts availability at Marsh Auto Parts in Siler City, NC. We got as far as the parking lot, and the
sales counter - it's not a self service yard. :-( We asked about FSJs, and were quickly pegged as "Jeep people" by the sales guys! lol

Another random stop - Delks Army Navy Surplus near Asheboro. This place is huge! We highly recommend it!

Lunch spot - just a small rural park.

Unlike the eastern leg of our 64 trip, this half has some proper wheeling (unless you count the beach drive). The Brown Mountain OHV park
in the Pisgah National Forest is mostly used by ATVs, as it only has one trail for full size vehicles, but it's a nice 30 minute drive (one way) so we decided to lock the hubs and put it in 4WD for a bit. We met an FSJ fan in the process of visiting gas stations trying to buy a trail pass.

The hard earned trail pass

The OHV area has several USFS campsites, we found an unoccupied one and set up for dinner.
Chef Sarah at work!

This meal worked out so well in Part 1 we decided to try it again - it didn't disappoint!

Just down the road from the campsite was a pretty cool little waterfall.

Swimming hole at the bottom

Boss-lady by the falls

Random picture from a back road getting us from the OHV area to my parents house - our stop for the evening.

We had our first Waggy failure when we stopped at my parent's house - the cover for the tailgate key hole is no longer spring loaded. We decided to declare this our Waggy failure for the trip! ;-)
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

Day 2, May 25
Morganton to Pisgah National Forest near Brevard

A lady stopped us at Bojangles to say she had a "Car Crush" on our Waggy, her husband didn't seem as impressed! For you non-southerners, here's a picture of Bojangles

We stopped at Morse Park to enjoy views of Lake Lure, the marina, and some geese

Chimney Rock State Park - aka - Stairs State Park
We parked in the meadow and got some long range views

We hiked the Four Seasons Trail from the meadow to the base of the rock. The 0.6 mi hike gains 400ft in elevation - so that translates to LOTS of stairs!

Then there were plenty more stairs to climb up to the top of Chimney Rock itself.

Can you spot the Waggy? Hint: It's parked behind a large white van that was full of people who carelessly set things on your hood while you're standing right there!

Roadside art: rooster

Pisgah National Forest
Drove forest roads near US 276, camped near Looking Glass Rock

snail came to visit us at camp

We had our second Waggy failure for the trip, now when we open the non-spring loaded key hole cover, the key lock just spins and spins and spins with no resistance.
This isn't good, since the key switch to lower the glass was the reliable way to raise and lower the glass. So from now on, retrieving something from the cargo area
involves crawling over the back seat - there are worse problems to have!
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

Day 3, May 26
Pisgah National Forest near Brevard to Tennessee

Packed up in the rain this morning
Cooked breakfast in a picnic shelter at the Pink Beds picnic area, off of US 276

Cradle of Forestry - visitor's center and museum... we walked one of the trails to see a train, sawmill, new tree plantations, old trees, mule-pulled road grading equipment, and a trout hatchery
Sarah steering the road grading equipment - I just wanted to mention that because I wasn't implying she's the mule ;-)

Drove US 276

Brevard's 10th Annual White Squirrel Festival
These push-cars went over 35mph at the bottom of the hill! The race is called the "Squirrel Box Derby"

Lake Toxaway Falls - this place is really impressive

Drove under Bridal Veil Falls between Highlands and Franklin

Stopped at an overlook west of Franklin, no the stain on the pavement isn't from us! And yes, we checked!

We stopped at Lake Chatuge, near Hayesville

TN-NC state line... we made it!!

Headed back home. Notice Manteo, where we visited on Part 1 of the trip is a mere 563 miles away!

Persimmon Creek Campground - mile 7 of US 64, a nice quiet place to camp
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

Day 4, May 27
Mile 7 of US 64 to Candler

To cover as much scenery as possible, we decided to take back roads other than US 64 home...

We drove through a valley between Murphy & Andrews on US 19/74

For those who recognize the area, and are familiar with it, the answer to your question is no, we didn't go ride through the former Tellico Trail system. Couldn't bring ourselves to see it like they've left it now... RIP Tellico... :-(

We drove through the Nantahala River Gorge, a popular place for whitewater rafting and kayaking

Our third "failure" of the Waggy for the trip - "Are we supposed to hear the top end of the engine rattling under compression braking?" and "do you think the oil pressure guage
is actually working?" are NOT two questions you ever want to pair in a conversation! Welp, the engine seems to have survived it's run of several hundred miles of low oil volume,
and note to self - The Waggy burns WAY WAY more oil that originally thought! ;-)

We met friends in Sylva for lunch at O'Malley's

Then drove through Western Carolina University, in Cullowhee

Added oil (ignore boa, that's a whole other story)

Laurel Oaks: One of the apartments that I lived in while attending WCU

Drove the Blue Ridge Parkway from Balsam to NC 151

Overlooked Caney Fork bald - where I spent a lot of time during my college years. This was the second place on this trip that was sad - thanks again USFS, really loving the "why maintain when we can just close!" mentality!!! :roll:

Highest point on the parkway

Looking Glass Rock

NC 151 to Candler... it's a very, very windy road... no place for a spool, but a great place to have oil in the engine!
movie:

While staying with a friend in Candler for the evening, this Ambulance Camper came by to visit. It belongs to the friend's friends. (for more details: http://six13metalworks.com/)
It's a work of art!
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

Day 5, May 28
Candler to Home

Drove past my Granny's former home in Asheville
US 70 from Black Mountain to Statesville
Crossed the eastern continental divide on I-40/US-70

That's it for fun pictures and story. The rest of the trip was very ho-hum, but I guess that could be considered a good ending to a road trip in an FSJ!

In case you're wondering, we fixed the tailgate switch! The cover still isn't spring loaded, but that's easy enough to live with! ;-)
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

pyro

Post by pyro »

very cool...i wish we had cool places to sight see down here in the swamp. :c
'81 J10 Laredo 258/T176
'82 Cherokee 258/TF904
'84 CJ-8 258/T176

Florida FSJ's Click Here!!!

Louiseven

Post by Louiseven »

Wow, thank you sharing! I can't wait to get my Wagon road trip worthy.

[ O o \\|// o O ]

Post by [ O o \\|// o O ] »

Really nice thread. I love the picture of Bridal Veil Falls. Of course there's the obligatory shot of the hood raised as people stare into the engine compartment but the pink boa really adds a twist of interest to the image. Checked out the link to the expedition ambulance, you're right it's a work of art. The only thing I'd change is the paint, I think fire engine red would look better.
Thanks for the write up.

wvrefugee

Post by wvrefugee »

Looks like a great trip! BTW, I know Mr. Sheetz and had his grand babies in my school when I was a Principal!
...so the Maples formed a union and demanded equal rights - the Oaks are just to greedy, they grab up all our light. Now there's no more Oak oppression, for they passed a noble law, and the trees are all kept equal -- by hatchet, ax, and saw..." Neal Peart, Rush "The Trees"

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

wvrefugee wrote:Looks like a great trip! BTW, I know Mr. Sheetz and had his grand babies in my school when I was a Principal!
Awesome!
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

blue beast j10

Post by blue beast j10 »

thanks for sharing awesome pix. I said I would never go east of the Mississippi again but that is some beautiful country and might have to come check it out. what time of year is the humidity the most forgiving there and not to hot.
1-79' j10 360/th400/QT 31/10.50/15
if you didn't bleed you weren't working on a FSJ

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

blue beast j10 wrote:thanks for sharing awesome pix. I said I would never go east of the Mississippi again but that is some beautiful country and might have to come check it out. what time of year is the humidity the most forgiving there and not to hot.
I have a similar discussion with myself every summer; Why don't I live some place cooler and drier?! The mountains in NC and surrounding states are what keep me on the east coast.

Personally, I'd aim for October for a fall trip, and late April, early May for a spring trip. You'll get some fluctuations of course, but those times should be a good shot at all around nice weather for road tripping/camping...
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Just catching up on the T&S adventure, awesome pic's and story.
Don't think the new Cherk will make it out for '14 or '15 but we are building it for a long distance cruiser.
You folks are good people.
(On a side note, it took 3 months but raffle winner finally made contact and has his parts, thanks for you folks help in that).
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
MtnYJ

Post by MtnYJ »

Tad wrote:Just catching up on the T&S adventure, awesome pic's and story.
Don't think the new Cherk will make it out for '14 or '15 but we are building it for a long distance cruiser.
You folks are good people.
(On a side note, it took 3 months but raffle winner finally made contact and has his parts, thanks for you folks help in that).

Thanks for the kind words Tad!

Sorry to hear you won't make it out with the new rig, I just read up on it. That's a great story, we'll be following along!

Glad the raffle winner finally got up with you. He seems to be good people, and was definitely excited (and in need of it) about it...

We're putting together a fall ride at Uwharrie the last weekend of September. If it's popular maybe it'll be a annual thing, and you guys would have two events to choose from!
Tim & Sarah

'84 CJ-7, AMC 401
'14 Ram 3500 4x4 CTD

lobie

Post by lobie »

Didn't know you posted this here. Hopefully I can join you on a spring run.
77 Wagoneer | 6.0 | TH400 | NP205 | Sterling 10.5 | Dana 60
07 6.7 Cummins 2500 4wd

http://www.lobie4x4.com
http://www.cfsjc.com

wewillsurvive

Post by wewillsurvive »

Thanks for the trip... my now wife and I lived in AVL in 2003-2004 while she attended massage therapy school. We wheeled the fire trail systems down near Bat Cave... ALOT. We have discussed the last few months moving that way again, likely Eastern or Central Tennessee but WNC has been discussed too.

Ever wheeled Hurricane Creek Road off I-40 near the TN line? Its not hardcore but its a nice little trail
1972 Dodge Demon with a 451" stroker Big Block
1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer AMC 360" AKA Golddigger- SOLD
2003 Dodge Crewcab 2500 Cummins longbed 4x4
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee V-6 full time 4x4

Alternators, winches, 4x4, guns all have the same issue if you don't have any knowledge of them usually bad things will happen. Serehill

Sayruh

Post by Sayruh »

Yes we have wheeled Hurricane Creek; we hear it's easier now than it used to be. About 10 years ago there were many more trails open in Western NC, but now they are few and far between. Glad to help bring back some memories for you!

Here's another local ride, south and west of Asheville: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =28&t=8097 where we enjoyed some Forest Service roads and scenic highways. And here's another one between Lake James and Blowing Rock: http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... =28&t=3502
Sarah
(MtnYJ's other half)

'91 Grand Wagoneer LS, NV4500, NP208J
'84 CJ-7 AMC 401, AX-15, Dana 300
'94 YJ
'06 LJ