Ouray

Post here to share your FSJ related stories!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Ouray

Post by Stuka »

Well, its just as much a truck as a Ford Ranger is. The size is about the same (Ranger is actually shorter). Its certainly not a full size truck, it would have to be RAM based to fill that spot.

To my knowledge there was not much spent to build those prototypes. The Hemi JK was built by AEV using off the shelf parts that AEV makes. The FC will never go into production due to crash standards. It was built mostly to show off the outrageously priced portal axles. But again its a JK Unlimited with the cab pushed forward. As I recall they built it in a very short period of time, and it was 3 guys that built it as I recall (There is an interview someplace on youtube talking about it).

As for the J12, its actually very close to the J-8. Which is the military version of the JK. Only the J-8 uses leaf springs in back, has a diesel engine, stripped interior, etc. Chrysler actually sells a kit to convert a 4dr Wrangler into a JK8. Which was used for the J12. The J12 does have the custom front end, and they extended the rear frame for a 6ft bed. But the cost to build it was not very high. Especially if compared to other concept vehicles which can reach hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The market for a J12 is actually pretty good. Since the Dakota is no longer made, the Ranger is no longer made, and the Colorado has horrible sales due to it being under powered and having poor build quality.

And while a J12 is certainly no replacement for a J10/J20 from a work standpoint, it is based on the only non-HD vehicle with a solid front axle. So it has a place, but isn't a replacement for an FSJ. And if it did go into production, I would almost be willing to bet it would use a Wrangler front clip, not the FSJ inspired one.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Oh, and back on topic, I was thinking yesterday I should have sent a pile of FSJN stickers to one of you guys to give out. I am sure most people are aware of this place by now, but it never hurts to give out free stuff :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Stuka wrote:Oh, and back on topic, I was thinking yesterday I should have sent a pile of FSJN stickers to one of you guys to give out. I am sure most people are aware of this place by now, but it never hurts to give out free stuff :)
That would have been great Brandon.
Keep it in mind for 2013, rstep and myself will be coordinating the raffle and the stickers would make great door prizes.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tad wrote:
Stuka wrote:Oh, and back on topic, I was thinking yesterday I should have sent a pile of FSJN stickers to one of you guys to give out. I am sure most people are aware of this place by now, but it never hurts to give out free stuff :)
Keep it in mind for 2013, rstep and myself will be coordinating the raffle and the stickers would make great door prizes.
I need to get new razor grill ones made. I dont have any left hardly, and they are the most popular. Rhino grills are no longer all the rage it seams :P
2017 JKU Rubicon

The PIG Smith

Post by The PIG Smith »

Stuka wrote:I am still wanting to go. Its just a loooooong trek (1000 miles, or about 18 hours of driving). Needless to say I doubt my J10 would ever get driven there.
It is 1500 miles from Fort Wayne, Indiana to Ouray, CO...about 24 hours of windshield time.
(...and 1500 miles back)
At 10ish miles per gallon, that would have been 300 gallons of gas @ $3.50ish a gallon, around $1050 in fuel alone.

This year, I had planned to bring my '82 J10, but life threw several curve balls at me this year and I canceled.
At this point, 2013 is not looking good either. :-q
Tad wrote: I say drive what ever makes you feel comfortable and just go.
I can say this because I realized back in 2008 that it really had very little to do with what rig anyone drove, it has way more to do with the quality of people that you meet.
I know in my heart what you are saying is true.
Already know that quaulity of people that attend are par excellence

However, from a selfish perspective, I also feel compelled to test my rig.
I want to prove myself and my rig.
All this hard work, time and countless dollars...I want see some results.
I do not wanna be 'THAT DUDE' with the Mall Crawler.
I want to be able to brag that YES, I drove it out there, wheeled it and then drove it home.
My ego needs to be fed. :@)
Yes, I know, I need to work on this character flaw.

Like a good and close friend told me recently, "I wanna be able to haul 30 bales of hay"
I also want to have that ability and not think about how I am gonna do it.
Like the tongue-in-cheek comment I made back to my friend, "I could haul the hay in my cargo van."
The kewl factor in a white cargo van does not exist.
Extended length 1 ton cargo van at Ouray? NO.
Bryan Smith
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
- 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green --Daily Driver
1986 Jeep J20
- Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line -- Current Project
1982 Jeep J10
- Has become a Long Term Project.
1981 Jeep J20
- Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
- Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Tad wrote:
And actually, I am sure I could swing a few t-shirts as well. Stills a long ways off obviously, but I have been toying with the idea of designing an FSJN t-shirt. Just not sure there is a market for it right now. But in a year, who knows! :)
2017 JKU Rubicon

lindel

Post by lindel »

Well, I know you'd sell at least one...;)
Lindel

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Make that 2, and several stickers here....:)

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Tad wrote:I have/had no objections to the Chrysler folks showing up.
I have no objections to the rigs themselves.

I do have very mixed feelings to them calling the J12 a truck, I like to think of it as a J.375
I also have mixed feelings about all the fawning that went on, some of it was like watching high school froshmen that just saw their first breast in person.
I'm also not very happy with some of the statements that were made reguarding the development and non-production (I'm probably one of the few that do not want to see them made, maybe the hemi) of said vehicles. Those statements were not made to me directly so I'm trying to reign myself in on that but it made me think that this (the prototypes) were a tremendous waste of money that could have been put to much better use.
At this point it gets social and political for me so I will step aside.
Please feel free to delete anything that does not belong here.
The Jeep is cool and all but does not satisfy my addiction to FSJs. Pretty simple for me.

I would have liked to arrive on top Engineer a bit earlier to get in on the group pix but I also enjoyed taking my time getting us there. The trail is rough up to the treeline so I was going slow and easy for Krista's sake. We had a great visit and ride with Jason. Besides, he HAS a truck. =))
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Is the windshield on Brutus actually being held in place by a bungee cord? :P
2017 JKU Rubicon

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Yup! and has been for a couple of years now :D
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Stuka wrote:Is the windshield on Brutus actually being held in place by a bungee cord? :P
I know it was in 2008.
It sported a tarp instead of an umbrella for the sunroof.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

srobertsfsj

Post by srobertsfsj »

Would of loved a sticker!!
Scott R.

'86 Grand Wagoneer "Super Chief" 5.3L drivetrain/ WT conversion / TT's Fabworks SOA and SF / 37x12.5x17 BFG A/T KO3 http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtop ... 294&p=3364

"After years of being paranoid about my Jeep’s temp going towards that 220F mark, I’m realizing that if it was real problem, Jeep engineers would have painted that area RED." - FSJ Guy

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

srobertsfsj wrote:

PM me your address. I dont have many razor grill ones, just rhino grills ones. But I have a ton I need to send out, so get me your address and I will get some out to you.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Jeffsj

Post by Jeffsj »

Thanks so much for sharing! That is some gorgeous country. I'd love to take the family up there someday......someday
Jeff

Beast : 1979 Cherokee Chief
Engine : 2003 GMC 5.3 liter Vortec
Trans. : 2002 4L60e / Transfer Case : 1989 NP241C with Slip-yoke eliminator
Lift : 4" / Tires : 33/12.50./15 BFG KM2's
Dakota Digital dashboard cluster

My 5.3 swap thread:
http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=767
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrqX1ip2KkM
Tad's SOA/Shackle Flip installation: http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3347

Topic author
fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Ouray FSJ Invasions Rock. We are doing it again in July. Some teasers...

Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

hutcho

Post by hutcho »

Stuka wrote:
srobertsfsj wrote:

PM me your address. I dont have many razor grill ones, just rhino grills ones. But I have a ton I need to send out, so get me your address and I will get some out to you.

Got any more of them? :grin:

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

sgtpoliteness

Post by sgtpoliteness »

Stuka- You've got Rhino grills for sale??
1977 Cherokee Chief WT w/ 2" lift
360 (originally a 401)/TH400/QT w/ MM part-time
16197427 $OD junkyard TBI set-up

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

sgtpoliteness wrote:Stuka- You've got Rhino grills for sale??
Sticks with with rhinos on them. Not actual grills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon