1966 Thriftside J 3000

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

twisted frame

Re: 1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by twisted frame »

Just curious, why'd you pass on it? I enjoy seeing which FSJs you pick up. I'm thinking it must not have had what you needed for a project or didn't fit the bill for something you'd want to put on the road again. Either way, it's fun seeing all the available stock in your area, because that just isn't the case here! :)

Not to hijack but your brake light note got me thinking about my old 77 Cherokee. I was on my way home on an interstate, late at night years ago, and passed a state trooper clocking people. He didn't pull out and I wasn't speeding, but after about a half mile, I noticed him pull out. He caught up to me and only put on his lights after a minute or so of being right behind me. When he pulled me over, he said the reason was because my brake lights were flashing intermittently and he thought I might have been trying to signal him as I went by, because perhaps there was something bad going on in my car, like I was trying to get his attention. Luckily, there was no problem and I just had bad brake light wiring! I thought that was very perceptive of him to pull me over like that and I thanked him. Fixed the brake lights the next day!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Just curious, why'd you pass on it? I enjoy seeing which FSJs you pick up. I'm thinking it must not have had what you needed for a project or didn't fit the bill for something you'd want to put on the road again. Either way, it's fun seeing all the available stock in your area, because that just isn't the case here! :)

Not to hijack but your brake light note got me thinking about my old 77 Cherokee. I was on my way home on an interstate, late at night years ago, and passed a state trooper clocking people. He didn't pull out and I wasn't speeding, but after about a half mile, I noticed him pull out. He caught up to me and only put on his lights after a minute or so of being right behind me. When he pulled me over, he said the reason was because my brake lights were flashing intermittently and he thought I might have been trying to signal him as I went by, because perhaps there was something bad going on in my car, like I was trying to get his attention. Luckily, there was no problem and I just had bad brake light wiring! I thought that was very perceptive of him to pull me over like that and I thanked him. Fixed the brake lights the next day!
It was a combo of what you were thinking, but also that I’m at the point where I want to see them all back on the road, so between it not having much in the way of usable parts to bring her back, it wasn’t worth the price for me for as a parts rig either. I’m getting old and picky. If I’m needing parts, I usually pony up the dough for the parts.

The owner kind of beat it up and ruined most of the body panels, too. I think the tailgate was the only straight panel on her.

That’s a pretty cool story on the brake light situation. I’m glad he was thinking safety first! There’s no hijack there, that’s a cool story. We need more people and officers thinking safety first.

It’s funny, you never find out about those lights being out, front, or rear, usually until someone else points it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

New PS pump, lower radiator hose and belts! She can tow again:

Belt 1
Belt 2

Topic author
66stepside

1966 Thriftside J 3000

Post by 66stepside »

A bit more maintenance on the 66. My day started at 5:30am. I have a list on things to do on my herd of jeeps.

First up is the bumper fix:

Huge difference between the old paint and new stuff, but I had to do something to cover the scratches. I used some kind of funky spacers to hold the bolts in place for ease of installation. The spacer retaining clips will come out once the bumper is on.

While the paint dries, it’s on to the next thing on my list on one of the other members of my flock o’jeeps.

Edit:
A bit o’polish. I kept the light brackets on, but treated the rust and painted them.

While it was drying, I set up the parts for the 401/th400 install, installed an alternator on the 54 Willy’s and pinstriped the logo lettering on the willy’s.
It’s another long day tomorrow!

scaryhd

Post by scaryhd »

Hi 66stepside,

I've enjoyed scrolling through your J3000 posts, all 384 of them!

May I ask for some advice on two items of interest to me?

1. Stock steel wheels color code?

- I am also in the process of swapping out chrome aftermarkets for stock 15" steel. I have the 5 wheels, plan to clean them up and get them powder coated. The color isn't exactly white right? More towards creme. Any advice?

2. Source for new reproduction Stock-style chrome rear bumpers?

- I am in the process of removing the large/heavy farm style rear bumper to replace with stock-style 2-of-the-3-piece bumper (may not want the center piece). Have you come across a source for these replacements?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Cheers,

Dave
'64 J300

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

scaryhd wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:33 pm Hi 66stepside,

I've enjoyed scrolling through your J3000 posts, all 384 of them!

May I ask for some advice on two items of interest to me?

1. Stock steel wheels color code?

- I am also in the process of swapping out chrome aftermarkets for stock 15" steel. I have the 5 wheels, plan to clean them up and get them powder coated. The color isn't exactly white right? More towards creme. Any advice?

2. Source for new reproduction Stock-style chrome rear bumpers?

- I am in the process of removing the large/heavy farm style rear bumper to replace with stock-style 2-of-the-3-piece bumper (may not want the center piece). Have you come across a source for these replacements?

Thanks for considering my questions.

Cheers,

Dave
'64 J300
Thanks!

The stock color is white, I'm not sure of the color code, but I use Rustoleum white appliance expoxy in the rattle can for white on rims. There are so many shades of white, though... On most of my rims, I use prefer Duplicolor's "Ford Whimbleton White"- it's like an off white, antique/vintage/aged white. That's the color of the rims on my 66. It matches every kind of paint as an accent paint.

The stock chrome rear bumper is super hard to find anymore. The standard white 74ish-79ish can still be found in the solid metal version, but the rear bumper with the black end caps is ultra rare as well. I've only seen one period correct bumper on a j truck locally for the late 70's, early 80's trucks, but it was a 2 owner truck that was all original.

If I had any advice for the purists when it comes to a full on restoration, when looking for parts, I'd say always scout eBay daily using a variety of search terms and categories. Craigslist and FB Marketplace are good sources, too.

I hope this helps, and I'm looking forward to the progress on your 64!!

scaryhd

Post by scaryhd »

I reached out to a seller (Erik) on BaT (1957 Willys FC-150) and he responded with the wheel paint chip code (9010) and was kind enough to offer to send the chip to me (win!).

For those interested here's the BaT link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-willys-fc-150/ . The new owner is somewhere near me in the Bay Area (CA). Maybe the new owner will join the Forum.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

scaryhd wrote:I reached out to a seller (Erik) on BaT (1957 Willys FC-150) and he responded with the wheel paint chip code (9010) and was kind enough to offer to send the chip to me (win!).

For those interested here's the BaT link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1957-willys-fc-150/ . The new owner is somewhere near me in the Bay Area (CA). Maybe the new owner will join the Forum.
Whoa- very cool!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The roof is done despite Spring Graupel (Google it).

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I snapped up a bumper pull travel trailer (now that the Sportside sold) for my 20 acres.

I towed it home last night with my 66; yeah, no pics. I finally got to use the T18’s 1st gear properly! Hahaha. The 401/T18 did just fine.

I will have to get some air bag, or air shocks to avoid the SWS (saggin wagon syndrome).

I managed to dig out the ice berm on the county rd., and clear a path to the bridge over one of two creeks on the property.

All in all, it’s a good start to a ton of work... but a perfect retreat for these historic times were living in.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Boy do I wish I had some land like that.

I would advise air bags over air shocks. Air bags only impact the ride when aired up. Air shocks will always impact the ride.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:Boy do I wish I had some land like that.

I would advise air bags over air shocks. Air bags only impact the ride when aired up. Air shocks will always impact the ride.
Thanks! This has been a dream for awhile- 2 jobs for 20 years, then added another job about 6 years ago. So it’s a plan on motion for awhile.

I’ll dig into some air bags for sure! Thanks for the info!

Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Cool truck. Is there a way I can see the pictures without the photobucket junk everywhere?

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Super Dave wrote:Cool truck. Is there a way I can see the pictures without the photobucket junk everywhere?
Yeah, for sure. I used the ol’ Pbucket when I was more active on the IFSJA site… like most everyone else, I let my account lapse.

Here are some pics in random order: