FNG here from Wyoming

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
wyocherokee

FNG here from Wyoming

Post by wyocherokee »

Howdy folks,

after waiting for 2 weeks for approval at the other FSJ site, i came over here and was Instantly approved!

I just picked up an 89 GW, that has been a dream of mine since i knew they existed. The body is a bit rough, but the interior is in great shape aside from the headliner and HVAC. It spent it whole life in South Dakota at a hunt camp. It sat for 5 years before we got it from a friend who purchased it from SD. I had to replace the alternator as soon as i got it home(went with a powermaster from BJ's) and it was clocked wrong, so i fabbed up a ground wire from the alternator case to the block. Once i get some more time ill re-clock it to use the factory brace. Gave it a tune-up and some gas treatment(full tank that sat for 5 years) and it runs decently. I drove it for about 4 or 5 hours, and my wife stole it and has been driving it all week. its got some stumbling when cold, and a bad exhaust leak, but im sure ill have to rebuild the carb and change the exhaust from manifold gasket down. pics to come. Apparently mine are to big to upload.
2021-06-03 test.jpg
2021-06-01 test 1.jpg
2021-06-05 test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
89 GW all stock. Custom game carrier and 12v pass through wiring from the PO

freehold

Re: FNG here from Wyoming

Post by freehold »

Love the pics--welcome to the insanity! Glad your pups have a new backseat home.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

freehold wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:47 pm Love the pics--welcome to the insanity! Glad your pups have a new backseat home.
More room than our Xj for sure!

oregonphil

Post by oregonphil »

Welcome to the fold. We bought our Wagoneer just for our two German Shepard's and just left the back seat out permanently.
77sj 401 warmed over
72 Commando basically stock
07 Siena should last forever
76 FLH just for fun

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

oregonphil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:38 pm Welcome to the fold. We bought our Wagoneer just for our two German Shepard's and just left the back seat out permanently.
I bet. ill probably just fold it forward when not camping and leave it setup when we go. Gives a little more cargo sepparation for their safety

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

gave it a fresh oil change, and man it was dark. ill run it a thousand miles or so, and change it again. Funny, the penzoil window sticker from 2005, gave the mileage change number , and the odometer is within 300 miles of that. i had an oil filter from my renix era XJ with the metric threads. glad i had one of those around. eventually ill put the adapter for a FL1a on there. Went to check plug wires, and wouldnt you know they shocked me through the insulation, so i ordered new wires and plugs and new belts(hopefully i ordered the right length for the alternator/ac/fan). the cap and rotor are new. Kindof hard starting. Im thinking the power valve is leaking and allowing the fuel bowl to drain out.

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

also got some new shoes.
KIMG1326-1.JPG
KIMG1325.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Post by will e »

Hey! Welcome to the forum. A great looking rig and your dogs will love it!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

Man uploading pictures here is a royal pain. im trying to upload some from our maiden voyage in the bighorns. Only got hot climbing the grade in 97degree heat, but found out that evening it was low on coolant. Need to make another trip up the hill to see if she gets hot again. replaced all the plugs and wires, which seemed to smooth it out, but i definetally need to rebuild the carb. The accelerator pump nipple was stuck, once i freed that up, it helped tremendously. broke a shock on a rough trail, but i kindof expected that, the bushing was toast. Got some new ones ordered from BJ's. Still trying to figure out the AC. im sure the blower fan is toast, and im hoping thats all.

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

i think these pics will uplaod

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

wyocherokee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:35 am Man uploading pictures here is a royal pain. im trying to upload some from our maiden voyage in the bighorns.
Sorry, I have to limit the data size or people try uploading giant photos.

If you are uploading from a phone, Tapatalk makes that pretty easy, as they resize the images for you.

Glad your trip went mostly good. Always a few gremlins to work out.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

Stuka wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:07 pm
wyocherokee wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:35 am Man uploading pictures here is a royal pain. im trying to upload some from our maiden voyage in the bighorns.

If you are uploading from a phone, Tapatalk makes that pretty easy, as they resize the images for you.

I wont use tapatalk, it is so glitchy and advertisement crazy. :banghead: i find its actually faster to use the web browser method. I'm having to resize all of my photos that my phone takes down to be able to upload them. i miss the days of photobucket before they sold out. it sure made forum posting worlds easier.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

wyocherokee wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:15 am
Stuka wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:07 pm

I wont use tapatalk, it is so glitchy and advertisement crazy. :banghead: i find its actually faster to use the web browser method. I'm having to resize all of my photos that my phone takes down to be able to upload them. i miss the days of photobucket before they sold out. it sure made forum posting worlds easier.
Flickr still works fine for sharing photos to forums. They even have an easy share button that has all the UBB code that you just paste in.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

well after a mountain trip, the rear glass wont roll back up. made for a gassy, dusty drive home. I diagnosed the dash switch...its fine. i need to get the glass up to test power at the motor. I think from researching it, that the rear key switch is bad. Previously the key switch would bring it down, but not up. I ordered a NOS one off Ebay, and ill try switching it out first and see if that fixes the issue. otherwise i guess ill have to do surgery and remove the glass to get to the motor. Thankfully it isnt forecasted to rain this week while im out of town. She did hit 220 climbing a hill we call red grade, so i had to stop and run the heater to cool her down, ill put a new fan clutch in it. Its about a 5 mile long super steep gravel grade. you cruise about 45 to 50mph on pavement then drop to 30 once you hit gravel and then drop to 15mph for the last steep climb. Most every older rig ive ever driven gets hot on this climb, The remedy every local uses is to stop just at the top of the pavement, throw it in 4lo, and go the last 5 miles in 4 lo at 15 mph. Once i put it in 4lo, it never got above 195*
Last edited by wyocherokee on Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

will e

Post by will e »

You might also try having someone 'lean' on the tailgate driver side while you try to move the window. Sometimes the safety switch needs a bit of help. Mine is this way, sometimes...
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

will e wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:09 pm You might also try having someone 'lean' on the tailgate driver side while you try to move the window. Sometimes the safety switch needs a bit of help. Mine is this way, sometimes...
i tested the safety switch and it tested out fine with my meter. even if i manually held it shut, and had someone hit the switch....nothing.

Topic author
wyocherokee

Post by wyocherokee »

Ended up being a bad rear key switch. got a replacement on Ebay, and everything works. Had to order a new lift channel from BJ's before i can put the glass back in.