1st Time Jeep Owner

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

1st Time Jeep Owner

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

Hi everyone!

I'm a NEW member of the Jeep and FSJN families as just brought home a 1984 J10! I'm the 3rd owner of this fantastic truck. It's all original 83,526 miles...258 motor with 4 on the floor, 131" wheelbase, PS, PB. I've always wanted a Jeep but also wanted a non-electronic truck when I found the J10. We are soon-to-be winery owners so the truck will be emblazoned with our logo to use for advertising, photo shoots and runs to HD! Ha!

It's got a couple of surface rust spots that I'll get fixed and want to lift it 3.5" and put 35" tires on it. Any thoughts on what would work well for doing that?

Thanks and happy to be here!!
-Brent
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

66stepside

Re: 1st Time Jeep Owner

Post by 66stepside »

That is a sharp looking truck- congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

Wow man ..... you never find j trucks like that anymore..... shes beautiful.... as far as lifting it and tires it all depends on your intent.... is it for looks or are you going to see what the limits are?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Nice one!!! Congrats and welcome.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

That is a very nice truck. One of the nicest I have seen in some time.

Welcome to the forum!

As for 35's, regearing will be absolutely required. As the 80's trucks had very high gearing that was marginal even with stock tires. On my '81 I put in 4.56's and it powered 34" tires fine. But it wasn't a HWY cruiser. As for the lift, a 4" lift barely fits 35's, and they will rub in back if the axle gets articulated. But for street only, it should be ok. 33's are a better fit for a 4" lift, and you could get away with 4.10 gears which would be slightly more HWY friendly.

One other issue you may run into is the factory carb, if its still there, was a Carter BBD which is infamous for having issues. Replacing it with a Weber 32/36 gets rids of all those issues and it will run and drive better. But won't pass emissions (not sure where you live). If emissions are important, and you want it to run great, I would go Howell EFI.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Great looking truck. Welcome to the forum! You'll find it a friendly place with a lot of good info.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

66stepside wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:50 pm That is a sharp looking truck- congrats!

Thanks! Taking it to my local Jeep dealer for servicing next week and going to show it in a local Jeep. Can’t wait!!
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

will e wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:38 pm Great looking truck. Welcome to the forum! You'll find it a friendly place with a lot of good info.
Thank you for the warm welcome! Looking forward to checking out the info that’s available. First up is new wheels and tires. Not going to lift it.
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

66stepside wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:50 pm That is a sharp looking truck- congrats!

Thank you! Drove it from SC to GA to get it home, drove fantastic! Sounded great at 70...just no passing gear! Haha!
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

Stuka wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:20 am That is a very nice truck. One of the nicest I have seen in some time.

Welcome to the forum!

As for 35's, regearing will be absolutely required. As the 80's trucks had very high gearing that was marginal even with stock tires. On my '81 I put in 4.56's and it powered 34" tires fine. But it wasn't a HWY cruiser. As for the lift, a 4" lift barely fits 35's, and they will rub in back if the axle gets articulated. But for street only, it should be ok. 33's are a better fit for a 4" lift, and you could get away with 4.10 gears which would be slightly more HWY friendly.

One other issue you may run into is the factory carb, if its still there, was a Carter BBD which is infamous for having issues. Replacing it with a Weber 32/36 gets rids of all those issues and it will run and drive better. But won't pass emissions (not sure where you live). If emissions are important, and you want it to run great, I would go Howell EFI.
Thank you! I feel very lucky and feel I got a good deal on it. Too it to the local Jeep dealer, Jasper Jeep, and the owner was loving it. He owns an 83 J20 and have 5 Js in the family. He talked me out of lifting it and just going with bigger wheels and tires, so that’s what I’m going to do.

Thanks for the carburetor tip. Right now, it’s running great. I’m in GA, and it’s exempt from emissions since it’s more than 25ys old 😃. I don’t want to go EFI anyway. I’ll check out the Weber!

Thanks again!
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

Cheapthrills wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 pm Wow man ..... you never find j trucks like that anymore..... shes beautiful.... as far as lifting it and tires it all depends on your intent.... is it for looks or are you going to see what the limits are?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thanks! She really is a gem of a truck and a great find, in my opinion anyway. After talking with my local Jeep dealer, who’s been around since the 50s, I’ve decided not to lift it but to go with larger wheels and tires. Is just for a more aggressive look. So any thoughts would be appreciated!
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

If its going to be a Billboard for your business, Id lift it and add those 35's. IMO, the WT were built for bigger tires

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Jeep-N-Wineguy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:55 am Thank you! I feel very lucky and feel I got a good deal on it. Too it to the local Jeep dealer, Jasper Jeep, and the owner was loving it. He owns an 83 J20 and have 5 Js in the family. He talked me out of lifting it and just going with bigger wheels and tires, so that’s what I’m going to do.

Thanks for the carburetor tip. Right now, it’s running great. I’m in GA, and it’s exempt from emissions since it’s more than 25ys old 😃. I don’t want to go EFI anyway. I’ll check out the Weber!

Thanks again!
The Weber should work out well for you. Its a pretty easy install, just be sure to follow the instructions for setting the mixture as its not done like most carbs. Its very easy to tune, just different. Oh, and it will want a lower fuel pressure. Installing an inline pressure regulator is pretty simple too.

Oh, does it still have the plastic valve cover or has it already been changed over to an aluminum one? The plastic ones leak pretty bad.

And actually good to hear you won't lift it. Too many other changes required that aren't easy to reverse if you want to put it back to stock. But a set of 15x8 wheels and some 31x10.50 tires will look great on it. And if you go with a steel wheel, some of them will accept the hub caps, so you can retain that OE look, but with a wider stance.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
Jeep-N-Wineguy

Post by Jeep-N-Wineguy »

The Weber should work out well for you. Its a pretty easy install, just be sure to follow the instructions for setting the mixture as its not done like most carbs. Its very easy to tune, just different. Oh, and it will want a lower fuel pressure. Installing an inline pressure regulator is pretty simple too.

Oh, does it still have the plastic valve cover or has it already been changed over to an aluminum one? The plastic ones leak pretty bad.

And actually good to hear you won't lift it. Too many other changes required that aren't easy to reverse if you want to put it back to stock. But a set of 15x8 wheels and some 31x10.50 tires will look great on it. And if you go with a steel wheel, some of them will accept the hub caps, so you can retain that OE look, but with a wider stance.
Thanks for the tips on the Weber. And yes, it has the original plastic valve cover. My plan is to replace it with and aluminum one.

I was wondering how big of w wheel/tire combo I could go without lifting, so thank you for the advice! I really want a wide more aggressive looking stance, but again, without lifting it.
Proud 1984 J10 Owner!

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Jeep-N-Wineguy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:52 am I was wondering how big of w wheel/tire combo I could go without lifting, so thank you for the advice! I really want a wide more aggressive looking stance, but again, without lifting it.
Some J-Trucks can fit 33's without lifting. But you would hate driving the truck with stock gearing and 33's. 31's will have a minimal impact on your driving experience, and still look better than the current skinny tires that you have now.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Ethan Connor

Post by Ethan Connor »

Hello to you!
This is very nice Truck being old model the surface is rusty too so you have to fix them as you mentioned. My experience is this that whenever you buy a vehicle you have to modify the vehicle according to your requirements. Hope you will enjoy your ride. Wish you best of luck 😊😊😊