1982 Sportside J10: Sporticus

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1982 Sportside J10

Post by Stuka »

66stepside wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 pm She rides very stiff as she sits. I’m not sure if it is the shocks, or what. It rides like a 3/4 ton! Lol.
Thats probably a side effect of sitting for so long. The leaves get rust between them, which results in them not wanting to slide along each other. Driving it will break that up some so they work better. Or you can do all the work of tearing them apart, but that may not be worth the effort.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:
66stepside wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:39 pm She rides very stiff as she sits. I’m not sure if it is the shocks, or what. It rides like a 3/4 ton! Lol.
Thats probably a side effect of sitting for so long. The leaves get rust between them, which results in them not wanting to slide along each other. Driving it will break that up some so they work better. Or you can do all the work of tearing them apart, but that may not be worth the effort.
Oh, that’s good to know- Thanks!

I’ve been working on a rear bumper in-between roofing the house and other spring time home stuff.

This is the starting point: a standard j10 ish rear bumper all beat to snot:

Quite a bit of slicey dicey (narrowed to 58”, too):

Of course it also had to be straightened, but only after all the excess hitches, end caps were cut off:

Then painting it after welding the end caps back on (I had to get it all one color in order to see any/all imperfections):

A marathon of body work ensued, more pics to come.

I also have a 2001 addy Deville center console ready, new carpet, and new to me bucket seats while I save up to reupholster the stock set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Wow, that bumper has seen a rough life
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:Wow, that bumper has seen a rough life
It was almost beyond repair for me. I think I have over 18 hours into getting back to usable condition, but I didn’t want to sacrifice my one good 73-82 ish rear bumper.

Edit:

Bumper is on, as is the JEEP lettering from BJ’s:

YAE:

Topic author
66stepside

Re: 1982 Sportside J10: Sporticus

Post by 66stepside »

I’m getting ready to do the Nutter Bypass- which I’ve done on a CJ years ago.

I see the ignition box, but I thought the ECU was supposed to be under the dash- like the CJ's?.

The box marked 1 in the pic is ignition control, but is the box marked 2 the ECU for the carb/timing?

I know it is “orange to orange, purple to purple” for splicing, but I just need to double check that I have correctly ID’d the ECU.

Last edited by 66stepside on Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

That bumper turned out great man.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

FLeetFox wrote:That bumper turned out great man.

Fleet Fox
Thanks!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I may have found a vacuum leak:

And 1 & 2 are the 2 components for the nutter by pass.

Edit:

The vacuum lines are rerouted (along with the replaced vacuum ball) using this schematic from a CJ forum for the Nutter By-pass:

13’ of new hose was needed! Yowza.

YAE:

The exhaust leak was awful, there was a quarter inch inbetween the manifold and the pipe. It took two days of soaking the bolts, tapping the nuts and pipes strategically with a hammer and brass punch to free up the nuts. There’s a small hole worn into the exhaust pipe at the flange from it being so worn for so long.

YAE:

The exhaust leak is done and the new cherry bomb muffler makes the truck sound like a 4 rotor- Roflnao!

I put the chrome tip on it because I heard chrome makes them go faster! Lol

Now on to the FC.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Holy guacamole on that bumper! Fantastic job. :-bd
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:Holy guacamole on that bumper! Fantastic job. :-bd
Haha, thanks! Gotta love heat and the use of strategic force!

I knew an amazing body man from a local shop years ago who once told me stamped metal has the memory of it’s stamped shape. It just needs the right coaxing to bring it back.

Ever since that conversation I’ve been doing my best to coax out the memory whenever body work is needed.

Edit:

Well, well, well, lookie what we have here:

YAE:

Oh, a new VC gasket and a serious degreasing/cleaning of the valve cover.

YAE:

That didn’t last long. No wonder there was 1/4” of RTV silicone and no gasket.

Out with the old cover, in the with new to me cover:

I added the breather vent to the front in the hopes of balancing out the pressure inside the engine.

At this point I don’t know if the pressure blew the gasket, or the 40ish year old valve cover had just seen better days (the plastic ones were marginal to begin with).

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Today I’m installing carpet, shifter boots new to me bucket seats and a caddy center console:

There’s some mild surface rust to treat, and some broken door moulding screws to deal with, but all in all, not to shabby.

More pics to come, but I may not get it done today.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I stuck for now; I need some metal for newly brackets.

Super wag and the stock bucket seat brackets just don’t cut it- too narrow.

The brackets have more rust than the floors?!

Here are the goods mocked up:

In the above pic you can see the pile o’brackets that did not work out.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

66stepside wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 pm I’m getting ready to do the Nutter Bypass- which I’ve done on a CJ years ago.

I see the ignition box, but I thought the ECU was supposed to be under the dash- like the CJ's?.

The box marked 1 in the pic is ignition control, but is the box marked 2 the ECU for the carb/timing?

I know it is “orange to orange, purple to purple” for splicing, but I just need to double check that I have correctly ID’d the ECU.

Sorry, I missed this post. FSJ's had the carb ECU on the fender as shown in your photo. The duraspark box will also change timing on you, which is why the nutter bypass is a thing. I ultimately just switched to HEI.

NOTE: I also had a weber, so the feedback ECU was not being used, but was still messing with the ignition module.
2017 JKU Rubicon

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote:
66stepside wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:35 pm I’m getting ready to do the Nutter Bypass- which I’ve done on a CJ years ago.

Sorry, I missed this post. FSJ's had the carb ECU on the fender as shown in your photo. The duraspark box will also change timing on you, which is why the nutter bypass is a thing. I ultimately just switched to HEI.

NOTE: I also had a weber, so the feedback ECU was not being used, but was still messing with the ignition module.
No worries. I got it figured out through the CJ forums

I have yet to install the Webber carb I bought. Too many projects, too little time!

itselliott

Post by itselliott »

you might consider the "stealth HEI" ignition

http://www.fairpoint.net/~julienjim/TFI ... 5B1%5D.pdf

I however used the adapter /cap and rotor of a Ford 460 cu in...'70's

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

itselliott wrote:you might consider the "stealth HEI" ignition

http://www.fairpoint.net/~julienjim/TFI ... 5B1%5D.pdf

I however used the adapter /cap and rotor of a Ford 460 cu in...'70's
Thanks! I’ll check it out. I’m still fabricating brackets for the new-to-me bucket seats. That should take a day, or two.

The idle doesn’t want to stay adjusted, but that “feels” like a vacuum-related issue to me for some reason.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Seats...I like the idea of putting in those buckets while saving up to get the originals done. Are those buckets you installed all manual? Thanks for the notes on what kinds of brackets didn't work in your situation too.

I probably shouldn't be so picky, but on my truck, I've been avoiding replacing my worn out, 60s-era bench with used buckets that would really look out of place but would be way more comfortable and functional than my old bench. It seems silly to get stuck on this kind of a thing on a truck that I'm not restoring, but instead, maintaining, enjoying, and improving here and there over the years. I guess overall, the feel still matters.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I think your right on the money with your instincts. I think I have done both bench and bucket swaps. This swap is about 20 hours worth of work.

The hard part is mocking the seats up to a comfortable position that also matches something close to factory, and since this is an 80’s j truck, these buckets seems to fit the aesthetic and are very comfortable, too.

Before:

After:

Still some detailing to do, and screw down the shifter boots x2.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The number 5 piston died over the summer. She was smoking.

I closed the gap on spark plug and drove it occasionally. Saying It was the gutless wonder is a gross understatement.

I snagged another 258 from a YJ, resurfaced the flywheel, new clutch and did an HEI Dist. The swap went well (better then a V8 due to space in the bay).

She’s back on the road.

I also had the front windshield replaced, too. Next up: headliner and bed liner.

FLeetFox

Post by FLeetFox »

Still looking good man.

Fleet Fox
I do things my way, and I pay a high price.... JCM