My new Chief!

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
GirlChief

My new Chief!

Post by GirlChief »

I was looking for a Wagoneer but my Dad came across this Chief and I couldn’t pass her up. Super straight body, original paint job and she looks amazing. Interior is in really nice condition as well. I’m just going to drive her for a while & then decide what to do next. Probably convert her to FI but the carb seems pretty good. I have a box of original parts & all docs for everything ever done to her, as well as original sales paperwork. The only rust is a tiny bit above the side rear window (flecks). Any tips on how to make her the BEST daily driver appreciated. I’m not a mechanic but I have two in the family & they both own 99’ Cherokee XJ’s so they can do the work but haven’t worked on anything this old (yet). Also, where can I get decent seat covers so I can keep these pristine? Thanks all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: My new Chief!

Post by Stuka »

Welcome to the forum, looks really nice.

As for being the best daily driver, outside of a complete engine swap, just keep it running well. Check the regular tune up items, etc.

As for seat covers, you will have to dig around. Those seats looks really nice. If they are leather, should be no reason to cover them if you keep them from drying out. Thats when they tend to crack. The same goes for vinyl, you just use a different product.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

will e

Post by will e »

Howdy from Phoenix! Nice looking rig. Someone's done a lot of work to it. Nice.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
GirlChief

Post by GirlChief »

Stuka wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm Welcome to the forum, looks really nice.

As for being the best daily driver, outside of a complete engine swap, just keep it running well. Check the regular tune up items, etc.

As for seat covers, you will have to dig around. Those seats looks really nice. If they are leather, should be no reason to cover them if you keep them from drying out. Thats when they tend to crack. The same goes for vinyl, you just use a different product.
Thank you! I live in Vegas so I’m just worried about the seats drying out and getting dirty. I love the look of them though. I’ll look around for a good leather conditioner.

Cheapthrills

Post by Cheapthrills »

I realy hate you! (Jealous) nice ride. You dont have to cover the seats to keep them pristine, get the leather conditioner and use it every couple months. Like was said befor keep up on regular maintenance, if your not mechanically inclined and dont desire to be, find a good mechanic that's well versed with old school tech and listend to him. Dont do a swap since you aren't well versed in mech world it takes time to weed out the bugs and drivability issues, even with professional swaps top dollar work, you would be returning multiple times for tuning.

Get that thing out there and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Topic author
GirlChief

Post by GirlChief »

Cheapthrills wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:10 am I realy hate you! (Jealous) nice ride. You dont have to cover the seats to keep them pristine, get the leather conditioner and use it every couple months. Like was said befor keep up on regular maintenance, if your not mechanically inclined and dont desire to be, find a good mechanic that's well versed with old school tech and listend to him. Dont do a swap since you aren't well versed in mech world it takes time to weed out the bugs and drivability issues, even with professional swaps top dollar work, you would be returning multiple times for tuning.

Get that thing out there and enjoy it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Thank you? lol. Yes, I think for now I'm going to leave the carb, too many other little things to work on. We think there's a manifold leak & a few other things.

babywag

Post by babywag »

Honestly in NV & CA with UV sun harshness best thing to do it COVER THEM when not in use.
Goes way farther/longer in preserving them. No product I have found prevents fading/degradation to the constant barrage of sunlight/UV.
-Tony
'88 GW (aka Babywag)

Hang em fast

Post by Hang em fast »

Very cool ride, put me on the jealous list too. Mind telling us how much you paid for it?