1989 Grand Wagoneer NC

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Topic author
areeside

1989 Grand Wagoneer NC

Post by areeside »

Hi all, moving over from IFSJA as it seems the domain expired.... Just finished a skyjacker 4" lift on my 89 GW. Wanted to show off pics of the job.

Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/meyA6mjHhiX2H8om9

Will continue to add photos of my progress.

Next on the list:
  • New Tires
  • Finish removing wood and paint job
  • Clean up rust and undercoat
  • Fix window flextracks/doorlocks
  • Rip up carpet and replace
  • Re-upholster seats

Rusho2nd

Re: 1989 Grand Wagoneer NC

Post by Rusho2nd »

How did you manage to take of the old woodgrain so effectively? Looks great!

Theodore

Post by Theodore »

Nice. Welcome to the forum. Like the color - don’t see many that color.
1990 Grand Wagoneer - "Theodore" - AMC 360, fuel-injected, TF727, NP229 - Sand Metallic - restoring to stock - Build Thread

Topic author
areeside

Post by areeside »

Rusho2nd wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:41 pm How did you manage to take of the old woodgrain so effectively? Looks great!
Here was my process:

Buy a cheap heat gun, a plastic paint scraper, and some 3M eraser wheels (I bought a whole box of them but you probably only need 3 or 4 max. You'll also need a drill bit for the rivets.

Start by either removing or drilling out the plugs that cover the rivets. Then drill out the rivets. Remove all plastic trim pieces (4x4, Grand wagoneer, etc.)

Next, apply heat to an edge of the wood trim and use the plastic scraper to get a corner lifted. Then apply heat and either scrape or pull the trim off as you work around each section. The better job you do of removing the double sided sticky stuff the less eraser wheel work you will have. Me personally i liked the eraser wheel work so I wasn't too particular during this step.

Once the trim is off, apply heat to a corner of the wood sticker and get it started, then just apply heat and peel as you go. Its tedious and if there are scratches or cuts in your sticker it will make the process slow (my rear panel took over 2 hours....). The key here is getting the feel for how much heat versus how much peeling. There is definitely a little bit of art involved but by your second or third panel you will know what feels right.

will e

Post by will e »

Welcome! That's a good looking rig!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

sirrus
Vendor

Post by sirrus »

Welcome! Like the color, trying to see if it’s the same as my rig or lighter. How is interior looking? Are you planning to put wood back after repaint or keep it wood-free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes we reinvent the wheel not to have more wheels but to have more inventors

1988 Grand Wagoneer - AMC 360 with ProFlo4 MPFI, TF727, NP229 FOR SALE
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel - new shiny toy

Topic author
areeside

Post by areeside »

sirrus wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:28 am Welcome! Like the color, trying to see if it’s the same as my rig or lighter. How is interior looking? Are you planning to put wood back after repaint or keep it wood-free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interior is probably a 4 out of 10 haha, the seats are cracked, carpet needs to be redone or pulled (leaning towards pulling and doing something like rhino liner). Still undecided on adding the wood back. Wife wants to change the paint color to a hunter green or navy blue but I'm really digging the current OG color.

freehold

Post by freehold »

Nice work! Always good to see another rig in Cackalack.
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX