Mellow Yellow (Twister Jeep) and DOROTHY I

Show off your FSJ photos and videos!

Thorinoakin

Re: Mellow Yellow (Twister Jeep) and DOROTHY I

Post by Thorinoakin »

Hello Charles,

I've been working on a Dodge ram Version of the Twister Truck (real simple I know) with Dorothy IV made out of an old Oil drum yet can distill water/beer kind of like beavis's. However I wanted to add the lights to the Dodge that's based off the j10 Jeep truck like yours, I haven't been able to find those certain lights that's not LED or HID, just the 90s covers is the only thing I've found. I was curious on where did you pick up those lights?

Also you did one hell of an amazing job on that Jeep! I'm in pure love with it, Next Comic Con if I can get the day off, I'll have to head down there!

Cheers,
Leo

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Thanks for the kind words.

Unfortunately a lot of the old school off road lights have been discontinued and replaced with the goofy looking LED cubes and strips.

I actually started collecting parts for Dorothy and the truck back in 2009 knowing that someday I would get the truck. Stuff was easier to find even then.

-Charles

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Got a set of WARN hubs for Mellow Yellow for Christmas.

Looking forward to getting these on and replacing the black painted rusty dust caps that currently stick out the chrome center caps.

Since I've got the QT these will be just for the look, they'll always be locked.

How is the install on these? anything I should know or look out for?

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

This is freaking irritating.

I just got the rejection letter for 'F5'.

REDONE

Post by REDONE »

Having lived all across this country, I can say that Colorado DMV is by far the most incompetent and frustrating. That sucks man.
79 J-10 (Honcho Mucho) KE0LSU
304/Performance Fuel Injection TBI/MTA1/SP2P/Magnum rockers
T18/D20/D44s&4.10s/33" Mud Claws
Grizzly Locker Rear
4" front spring drop, 5" rear shackle flip
Chevy style HEI (ECM controlled)
Dolphin "Shark" gauges in a fancy homemade oak bezel
3/4 resto, rotting faster than I've been fixing it.

berettajeep

Post by berettajeep »

Is "Dorothy" taken?

Or will you find out much later, if that is the route you go, that some else has it after you get the plates? :lol: :banghead:
'47 CJ2A My build
'74 Cherokee S 401/auto My build
'94 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed
'06 Liberty Renegade
'46 CJ2A

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Charles Kline wrote:Got a set of WARN hubs for Mellow Yellow for Christmas.

Looking forward to getting these on and replacing the black painted rusty dust caps that currently stick out the chrome center caps.

Since I've got the QT these will be just for the look, they'll always be locked.

How is the install on these? anything I should know or look out for?

Hoping for a bit of none freezing weather this weekend to be able to put these in. Anyone swap out hubs recently? pretty straight forward?

Thanks!
-Charles

montanablueSJ

Post by montanablueSJ »

Good time to repack the wheel bearings if you haven't done so in a while (outer and inner w/new seal). Or at the very least just check the bearing pre-load.

The larger snap ring can sometimes be cumbersome - a hook/dental pick type tool helps with removal. But since you have the QT and no manual locking hubs, I'm not sure if you'll even have that snap ring, but you will have the smaller axle shaft stub snap ring that is easily removed with snap ring pliers. There should be a large pressure spring and spring cup that you won't need anymore, and also a drive gear that gets tossed. Again, I don't know much about the QT, and how it would work with the full time system, but I think you'll be fine if you just leave them locked all the time.

You'll need the special 4-prong socket for the lock nuts. I assume you've done this before and know about setting the bearing preload and how the inner/outer locknuts and washer works? (torque to 50 ft lbs while rotating, then back off 1/6 turn while rotating for inner locknut)

Oh, and the screws for the hub assembly are a small allen head size like 7/64".

I've got the same warn hubs on mine, they work great. I also have the premium hubs on another vehicle, also great, and a different look. These standard hubs are more period correct in my opinion. The main difference is metal selectors vs plastic on these warn standard hubs. Also the premium hubs have a 9/10's of a turn to lock them, these just have a 1/4 turn and click. But both have lifetime warranty.

Here's my 81 Dana 44 np208 with the Warn standard hubs (9790):

1981 Cherokee 2-door -- 360 V8 -- T-176 -- NP-208 -- Dana 44 + AMC 20 -- Narrow track, base model

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

Thanks for the awesome information montanablue!

nstevic01

Post by nstevic01 »

I'm starting to put one of these together and have been having a hell of a time identifying the wheels. Everything I have been finding either has 8 holes or 12 holes. From what I have gathered, they look like 15x10 and the closest I could find are the American Racing Outlaw 2's. Cragar, Capital and Western seem to have similar designs, but nothing that matches perfectly. Would you be able to share the make/model of the wheels you have on Mellow Yellow?

Also, where did you find the Muscogee State College stickers? Was that something you had made, or were they off the shelf?

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

The wheels were a craigslist find and have no manufacture info on them.

All the decal artwork was done by me in Adobe Illustrator and cut by a vinyl shop that I trust to not try to sell or share the artwork.

nstevic01

Post by nstevic01 »

Appreciate the response. I'm guessing by the way you said that, you would not be open to sharing or selling a set of them?

Topic author
Charles Kline

Post by Charles Kline »

You are welcome. I know it sound harsh, but I've put countless hours of research into this even beyond the fabrication work.

-Charles

nstevic01

Post by nstevic01 »

I hear you on that. The amount of research I have put into my Dorothy 2 and Daryl Bike build is staggering, literally years. But it is all good. I did identify the wheels though, the TCL guys discovered they are Pacer 320c 15x10 in case anyone else wanted to know what they are.

nstevic01

Post by nstevic01 »

The car lounge over on the vortex forum. They have been known to identify pretty much anything fairly quickly.

blakehairston

Post by blakehairston »

I am in search of the measurements for Dorothy. I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker that will look like Dorothy. I've kinda winged some measurements so far, but having exact measurements would be great. I've scoured the internet looking for help. Thinking I might just have to go to Wakita to get the actual measurements myself. Just a 18 hour drive. lol. Please contact me. I will pay for measurements of Dorothy. Message me on facebook. Blake Hairston from Cameron, Tx
Charles Kline wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:21 pm I bought this Honcho towards the end of summer 2015, since then I've been working on getting it to this.

Ever since seeing Twister as a kid 20 years ago I've always said that if I was to get a Pickup, it would be one like that Yellow Jeep.

In summer of 2011 I visited the original Dorothy I. I was able to get some great measurements and reference.

I slowly started collecting parts over the years, and looking at FSJ's off and on. When I found that Yellow '79 J10 Honcho with the factory blue stripe package I knew I had to get it. After a 5 hour drive with my boys (and not as much cash as he was originally asking) I had it.

Here is how it looked when I bought it.

(those plasti-dip blue rims were the ugliest dang thing the PO could have done [besides spray painting all the interior and getting over spray everywhere])

My goal was to have it complete in time to take it to the 20th anniversary parade in Wakita, OK but getting laid off from my company of 10 years put a wrench in that plan. I was able to find a new job fairly quickly and busted ass to get it presentable in time for Denver Comic Con 2016 that took place over Father's Day weekend. It was a HUGE hit, everyone loves "THE truck from Twister" I had to put a plush cow on it somewhere and people loved it when they spotted it. "We've got cows" is definitely the go-to line from Twister.

This is a neat photo of waiting to get loaded into the Denver Convention Center, you can see I had not yet put some of the details on Dorothy - I removed the vertical pipe for driving through the roll up door.

This Dorothy with Dorothy has got to be about the cutest photo ever.

I've taken photos along the way and will be uploading those as well as more adventures with Mellow Yellow.

-Charles

blakehairston

Post by blakehairston »

I am in search of the measurements for Dorothy. I am currently building an Ugly Drum Smoker that will look like Dorothy. I've kinda winged some measurements so far, but having exact measurements would be great. I've scoured the internet looking for help. Thinking I might just have to go to Wakita to get the actual measurements myself. Just a 18 hour drive. lol. Please contact me. I will pay for measurements of Dorothy. Message me on facebook. Blake Hairston from Cameron, Tx
Charles Kline wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:21 pm I bought this Honcho towards the end of summer 2015, since then I've been working on getting it to this.

Ever since seeing Twister as a kid 20 years ago I've always said that if I was to get a Pickup, it would be one like that Yellow Jeep.

In summer of 2011 I visited the original Dorothy I. I was able to get some great measurements and reference.

I slowly started collecting parts over the years, and looking at FSJ's off and on. When I found that Yellow '79 J10 Honcho with the factory blue stripe package I knew I had to get it. After a 5 hour drive with my boys (and not as much cash as he was originally asking) I had it.

Here is how it looked when I bought it.

(those plasti-dip blue rims were the ugliest dang thing the PO could have done [besides spray painting all the interior and getting over spray everywhere])

My goal was to have it complete in time to take it to the 20th anniversary parade in Wakita, OK but getting laid off from my company of 10 years put a wrench in that plan. I was able to find a new job fairly quickly and busted ass to get it presentable in time for Denver Comic Con 2016 that took place over Father's Day weekend. It was a HUGE hit, everyone loves "THE truck from Twister" I had to put a plush cow on it somewhere and people loved it when they spotted it. "We've got cows" is definitely the go-to line from Twister.

This is a neat photo of waiting to get loaded into the Denver Convention Center, you can see I had not yet put some of the details on Dorothy - I removed the vertical pipe for driving through the roll up door.

This Dorothy with Dorothy has got to be about the cutest photo ever.

I've taken photos along the way and will be uploading those as well as more adventures with Mellow Yellow.

-Charles