An idea I had for the brakes

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
will e

An idea I had for the brakes

Post by will e »

Posted in the Offroad section of this forum.

A few times while wheeling I have had situations where the engine wasn't available and I was on a hill. One time I lost oil pressure and turned it off myself and had to back down a pretty steep grade. Another time the fuel pump gave out at a very inconvenient time. The thing with vacuum assist brakes is you get one more pump (maybe two) and then it's done. With no vacuum assist the brakes are very stiff and not so good, even worse with all of the weight I have added to my rig.

So, I got the idea to add a vacuum pump to the brake system. It's a popular modification for over cammed street cars with low vacuum. They use the pump to provide enough vacuum for decent power assist in normal driving.

Normally I have enough vacuum but on those rare situations where I am on a hill and the engine isn't cooperating or I am being drug out of a trail for some other reason I didn't have the advantage of vacuum assist.

I started with a vacuum canister, that got me a couple more brake pumps. Later I added a vacuum pump to the system. My vacuum setup is a bit different compared to what the manufactures show in their installation manuals. They normally show the pump between the engine vacuum and the tank with a check valve between the engine and the pump. I found the inline check valve was really restrictive and limited how well the normal engine vacuum worked so I put the pump between the tank and the booster. This works great. The tank has its own check valve so when I turn on the pump it creates vacuum in the booster and the tank.

Currently it's wired with a manual switch to work even if the ignition is off. This means it will operate while normally parked and the ignition in the 'off' position. This could drain the battery if I forget to turn it off. I am thinking of changing so it only operates if the ignition is in the 'on' position.
I normally leave it turned off and will just turn it on if I am approaching a big hill or have had an engine problem.

What do you all think of this idea? I haven't seen it used much for offroading. Any thoughts on alternatives to how I installed it?

Last edited by will e on Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: An idea I had for the brakes

Post by Stuka »

I think thats a great idea. Not having power assist to hold a heavy vehicle with big tires can really suck. Almost all newer vehicles use vacuum pumps for the brakes since most new vehicles are turbo charged. So you really only get vacuum at idle. The difference is they are often mechanically driven. But some are electric.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

My Nissan motor had it mounted on the back of the alternator.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

letank

Post by letank »

Very good idea, diesel cars had electrical vacuum pump -but, I only worked on a Peugeot years ago, ah, ah, a 1/4 century ago-

Yes, it is really chilling, the engine dies on a cold morning and you are barreling down a steep SF hill... put shifter in neutral while stomping on the brake pedal and turning the ignition switch while pumping for gas to dump gas down the carb throat.

Can you share any refs on the vacuum pump and the vacuum canister?

Thank you for such a very useful idea
Michel
74 wag (349 Kmiles... parked, next step is a rust free body)
85 Gwag (229 Kmiles... the running test lab)

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

25 Years? That's when I started my project. One reason I've got shuch an archaic motor.

I've gone to hydroboost but that too gives you nuttin if the engine's off.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

SJTD wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:07 pm 25 Years? That's when I started my project. One reason I've got shuch an archaic motor.

I've gone to hydroboost but that too gives you nuttin if the engine's off.
It feels like my project is taking me 25 years, but only 8 so far. :banghead:

To the main topic, maybe a good reason for a line lock? If your power goes out, pump the brake and throw the line lock to lock at least half the brakes on?
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I can get 3 good solid pumps out of my hydro boost. After that you still have brakes but may need to source your in inner green Hulk to have much power. You have the same issue with a vacuum booster unless you have an electric vacuum pump. Even that is limited to battery power.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

The line lock is a good idea but the main reason I installed the vacuum pump is if I lose engine power while wheeling. I remember one time I was climbing a pretty steep hill out by box canyon. My oil pressure dropped so I killed the engine and had to back down with no power brakes.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

That sounds like a lifesaver idea for sure.

As I am just starting rebuild on my '84 Grand Wagoneer, will keep that in mind after getting it back to normal, and considering worthwhile mods to think about.
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

michaelbennett902

Post by michaelbennett902 »

Thanks for sharing

j10builder

Post by j10builder »

I really like this. Thanks
'81' J10 w/all the good same year J20 stuff

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

Or you could put the non-power brake pedal on and give yourself lots of leverage--and at that point, you could eliminate the power entirely and not lose any brake when the engine dies :D

Yes, I'm mostly joking, but at the same time, the '71 has never had power brakes (yes, it has discs in the front now), and I can lock up the tires on dry pavement. Sure, they're 225/75r15s, but I can lock them up at 60 mph.
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-B350 (HEI, iron 4-barrel, Edelbrock 1406), TH400, D20
-'74 D44 front (nonpower discs)
-custom headliner
-Front shoulder belts (rears eventually)

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

I had no idea non-power brakes were ever available.

I've got 37's and do a 'lot' of off roading. Plus, I have added a lot of weight to my rig too! But I like your idea.

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

I'm not sure they were with the discs from the factory. I think if you got the very base model J10 (and maybe Cherokee?) post-'74 for a few years you maybe could get non-power, but I'm pretty sure they were drums on the open knuckle axle. The '62-'73s though, never had disc brakes in the front (and had the closed-knuckle front end), and I'm 100% sure you could get non power on those.

I would probably be ok off road with the non-power; my concern would be at speed, those 37s are going to have a super high moment of inertia, as they're not only heavy but also move the tire out farther, causing it to take a much larger quantity of force for the same amount of braking, assuming the same weight. Now, the plus side is, with the lift required to run 37s, the wind will be working in your favor for stopping :-bd

You could still get the pedal for the non-power brakes if you're really worried about it (BTW that pedal is the same between the manuals and the automatics); it might be kind of irritating if it's already heavily boosted, but then at least if the engine died you'd have the extra leverage...
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

There are 2 major differences between new Wranglers and FSJs. FSJs are meant to be both utilitarian and capable, not just capable. FSJs are also rarely initially recognized as Jeeps by the average American.

Topic author
will e

Post by will e »

sierrablue wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 pm Now, the plus side is, with the lift required to run 37s, the wind will be working in your favor for stopping :-bd
Air Brakes!

I am going to stick with what I have. The pump is working out great, I've tested it a few times off road and so far the engine hasn't died on a hill yet. (Truck Avenger).

sierrablue

Post by sierrablue »

will e wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:10 pm
sierrablue wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:26 pm Now, the plus side is, with the lift required to run 37s, the wind will be working in your favor for stopping :-bd
Air Brakes!

I am going to stick with what I have. The pump is working out great, I've tested it a few times off road and so far the engine hasn't died on a hill yet. (Truck Avenger).
Cool! If you wanna use aero to slow you down, you could always use flaps like airplanes use; that'd stop you in a hurry ;)
'71 Wagoneer (DD)
-custom headliner

viewtopic.php?t=23070

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

So there is a fully-electric brake booster that Tesla sells from Bosch, an i-booster. Replaces the vac/hydro booster unit:
So as long as you have your battery, you have full braking power. Apparently this is used on late model Honda Accords. More details on irate where I found this:

https://irate4x4.com/threads/ibooster-e ... er.394316/

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

How Smart is this Electric Booster. Does it need a controller to operate. Im sure that its similar to the electric steering assist and has a processor and multiple I/O that are required.

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

rocklaurence wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:24 am How Smart is this Electric Booster. Does it need a controller to operate. Im sure that its similar to the electric steering assist and has a processor and multiple I/O that are required.
Nope. Per the video: 3 wires. 40 AMP fused to battery. Ground wire. 5 Amp fused to ignition.

If you want it to do fancy stuff and adjust the force curve applied, they you need more wires.