Np246 transfer case

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
66wags

Np246 transfer case

Post by 66wags »

Is there a reason why guys aren’t using the 246 transfer case when doing an LS swap? It looks like a lot of guys are using the 241c passenger drop.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Np246 transfer case

Post by Stuka »

For older vehicles, the 241C can drive a mechanical speedometer, and it is mechanically shifted. The electronic shift in the 243/246 is kind of meh.

But there are some common issues with the 246, GM was replacing them under warranty a lot. Several issues related to the pump.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

derf

Post by derf »

"6 = Computer-controlled multi-plate wet clutch"

If you keep everything from the donor and figure out a way to mount the buttons that tell the computer to shift into various modes, it can work as well as it did in the Chevy. Although, you may run into some issues if the computer needs ABS sensors to control the actuation of the clutch. Without the ABS sensors, the computer can't tell when it needs to engage anything. So you'd probably end up with what amounts to an open differential inside the transfer case.

A 241c doesn't have any of that. It has a manual shift lever that is easier to get working and bolts right up.

I do like that the 246 offers a full time 4HI mode as well as a part time 4HI mode. And being able to just hit a button on the dash would be nice. But if I were doing an LS swap, I'd find a Jeep NP242 and adapt it to the Chevy transmission (easy). That's a manual shift version that gives me full and part time 4HI options without having to worry about everything else.

If I were doing a body swap on to a Chevy frame, I would consider the 246. The Chevy frame and drivetrain would supply all of the wheel speed sensors and everything else that came with the whole system.

derf

Post by derf »

Oh, and if you need a passenger drop, you're better off going with a different transfer case. The 246 only came out after GM had changed over to driver drop and there's no good way to flip the 246.

Topic author
66wags

Post by 66wags »

Thank you guys for the responses. I think it will simplify things to use the 241. I am also using the 6 lug rear axle off the donor vehicle so I will get a Chevy front axle to match. I also want to use the 241 because I plan on flat towing behind the Motorhome and those are perfect for doing that.