Stanchions for A-pillars?

Area for Offroad Modification Tech

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Stanchions for A-pillars?

Post by jpswapmohn »

I was just surfing around for ideas as we let the holiday meal settle. I was wondering if anyone has built or tried making Stanchions for a rollcage for the a-pillars in our rigs.

I have seen them online for YJ, TJ, XJ, and I think some grand cherokee models. Seems like there would be room between the dash and the front doors to run similar in our rigs, allowing a roll cage that doesn’t require holes in the dash or bars that stick out into the door opening.

These are an example of a set for YJ wranglers.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/YJ-Cage-Stanc ... p_417.html

I know there are some of you out there that seem to be capable of making anything.. challenge?
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Jeepin87

Re: Stanchions for A-pillars?

Post by Jeepin87 »

The A-Pillars in the FSJ wouldn't be strong enough to mount a cage to, I'd be worried about stress cracks as well. The kits for small jeeps actually tie into the cowl area on the dash mount which is a semi-strong body point and good for one roll-over (not used by comp rigs or guys that are extreme and plan to roll).

I do like the idea of a cage that is out of the way and I believe some folks have custom fab'd down tubes next to the A-pillar that went through the dash all the way to the floor behind the e-brake pedal.

Have you seen the bobbed blue J10 with a partial exo cage? It's the same truck that was on Truck Night a while back. I believe there are pics floating around of his cage build. Can't remember his name right now...he is on the Full Size Jeep Enthusiast FB page.

KJ Ryu

Post by KJ Ryu »

Ron

2005 KJ, Hit-n-Run, 2am 6-17-2012, Totaled. :mad:
1977 SJ J10, 4v360, T18, D20, 37x14s, SOA & SF on tons, still ugly.
1978 SJ Wagoneer, 4v360, QT, 33x12.5s, lift by Sawzall :-bd NOT Running :(
1977 SJ J10, SniperEFI 401, QT, D44s, 31X10.5s :fsj:
2006 KJ
Mars wrote:One man's trans leak is another's penetrating oil :D

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

So the stanchions I am referring to are flat stock that run down between the dash and body to tie into the floor and some mounts under the rig to tie into the frame. I would not tie anything into the A pillars based on how flimsy they are.

Like these, but maybe bolt into side of dash or body by door hinges. (obviously would have to be shaped differently)
https://www.barnes4wd.com/YJ-Cage-Stanc ... p_417.html

I won’t cut into the dash based on the work to get the 69 dash customized and installed. I really don’t want large tubes in the way of getting in and out of the front seats, but may be able to get a pro to run them tight enough not to be a huge issue.

I am looking at having a cage built out of the smallest, thickest stuff i can to minimize encroachment into the cabin. Not looking to be nascar approved, just something to provide additional protection.
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

Pablo

Post by Pablo »

I was trying to decide between cutting the dash and using chro-mo tubes on the inside-- or just moving the tubes outside in-front of the A-pillar and having a exo/partial exo that goes around the front fenders and ties into the front bumper. I go back and forth on it and I don't really like either approach. I do know the stock A-pillars are really not up to snuff. I also know I want my seats mounted to tubing tied into the frame, not mounted to the body sheet metal. I will monitor the thread for further developments.
  • 64 FSJ Wagoneer, under the knife
  • 67 FSJ Wagoneer, peacefully taking a break
  • 94 XJ, long-armed on 33's. Bolt on ghetto fab fantastic
  • 16 BU, wife's snow commuter
Formerly: 06 KJ CRD (Constantly Repair Diesel)

will e

Post by will e »

I have an internal roll cage that includes tubes that are in front of the A pillars. Evin Twin Fabs custom built it for me. This was great because I am tall and placement of the various components were important to me since my head would be close to the cage. I was there for the build, even helped a little bit, and we did several 'test fillings' to make sure it all worked. This wouldn't have happened if I dropped it off at some shop.

I went with the 'front of the A pillar' configuration because it was easier and would save some money.

Cons:
It interferes with my hand window crank. I cannot roll up/down the window with the door closed. This was not a surprise. I usually have the windows down so I wasn't to worried. I live in AZ so sudden rain isn't much of a concern. I don't daily drive the Jeep.

Same with the wing windows, I can't open/close them with the door closed. I can open them and then close the door. They are still functional.

It's a bit harder to get in and out but I am so used to it now I don't even notice. I an 6ft 4in tall and sport size 15 feet. Foot room was something we played with. It's a balance between having room to get in and out and still having 'access' to the parking brake pedal.

It's very close to the electric mirror switch but does not interfere with the operation.

Thoughts:
In order to do a complete weld for the front of dash tube we ended up taking the windshield out. I believe the windshield will have to come out if the plan is to go through the dash instead of in front of the A pillars.

I'll post up a few pictures in a bit.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Pictures would be appreciated!
I am 6' tall, so I have a little room to play with.
I am torn between just doing a hoop out over the front driver/passenger on a bar that runs behind the front seats, and trying to find a way to do something at the A pillars that doesn't get in the way. I am really not looking to cut holes in the dash, even with the vintage air.
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)