Northern NM 1985 Wagoneer

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Robbie

Northern NM 1985 Wagoneer

Post by Robbie »

Figured its time to start keeping a list of what it takes to keep my jeep on the road. As a kid I grew up bouncing around in the back of a CJ-2A which has turn into an irrational love for rusty old jeeps. I dug a 1950 WIllys wagon out of a field a few years back and have been working on getting it back to life. Realizing that this resto/mod project was going to take a while between finishing school, beginning a profession, and starting a family I decided I needed a running jeep in the mean time.

I picked up this 1985 Wagoneer near Denver about a year ago and drove it a few hundred miles back to New Mexico, slightly nerve racking mission but made for a good roadkill type experience! Since then its been my daily, some mild wheeling and trail driving on local forest roads, and family camping jeep.
1985 Wagoneer
360/727/229
44 front AMC20 rear
Howell TBI Fuel injection
BeCool Radiator
So far(besides fixing small things that break weekly) I've added:
Rustys 4" lift with Jegs 16x8(4"BS) d windows and some 265/75-r16 BFG All Terrians
Razor Grill conversion
Selector shaft seals on the trans
New Exhaust from the manifold seals back
Desmoggged

When I got it:

Currently:

Lumpskie

Re: Northern NM 1985 Wagoneer

Post by Lumpskie »

^That's a good looking Jeep. I like what you've done with it so far.
1989 Grand Wagoneer - Rebuilt 360, 2" Alcans, 10" travel Gabriel Guadian shocks.
1996 Land Cruiser - 1HD-T Diesel, Gturbo (23psi), Wholesale Automatics 442f, F/R ARBs, 35" Duratracs, ARB Rear Bumper, OME 2" lift, home built sliders and aluminum belly skid
2000 Honda Civic - Integra GSR engine, transmission, shift linkage and axles, 200hp, 33 combined mpg
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 9 - 437hp/447ft-lb

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Got the exhausted finished up and went on a good little cruise last weekend and when I got back into town turning onto my street the brake booster gave out on me. Decided to take this opportunity to do a brake overall, had a new master cylinder already, got a delco booster replacement and got all new stuff to rebuild the back drums (recently did the front pads).
On the cruise
Before and after rear brakes
And the booster I put on, the nuts holding the booster spacer to the firewall were a PAIN to take off, easily the longest part of the weekend

j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Looks like the rear brakes were needed. Like the look with the new suspension and face.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Between starting my small family, graduating with an engineering degree, and starting a profession the wagoneer hasn't got much time spent on it. But with some extra time over the last weekend or two I started a bumper build. I need a full size spare and don't want to sacrifice bed space inside. I've always liked the look of the cliffhanger bumpers but to save some money and work on fabrication skills, or lack there of, I decided to make my own.
Started with 3x4 0.122 steel tube and then tapered/capped the ends. Image
I ended up using the original bumper brackets and altering them slightly to fit the bumper. I figure if I find they aren’t up to the job I can cut them off and build stiffer ones. (just tacked in the photo) Image
I used the heavy duty spindle from ruffstuff as well as the clevis mounts, spare tire plate, and a synergy spring pin. Ended up going with a DeStaCo 341-R latch with a lock.
This is how it ended up for the weekend. Hoping to finish the tire, highlift, and gas can mount over the next weekend and get some paint on it.

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

And the final product, just in time for more snow. I have some 33x10.5 KM2s on order and should finally have a spare within a week.
ImageImage

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

The jeep and that bumper n rack look great!
The embossed J E E P on the gate is something I've never seen before. Did someone graft the tailgate skin onto it from a J-truck?
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Tatsadasayago wrote:The jeep and that bumper n rack look great!
The embossed J E E P on the gate is something I've never seen before. Did someone graft the tailgate skin onto it from a J-truck?
Thanks! Yep the J-truck tailgate letters were added by the PO, Austin4x4. A good lookin addition but is coming up on some touch up work with rust coming through.

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Hey that's looking really sharp! Nice Work!
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

With the 4" backspacing on the 16x8 wheels I had to much front spring rub so I went back to a set of 15x8 pro comp with 3.5 BS with a full set of 33x10.5 km2s

Next weekend I hoping to put a set of lower quarter panel patches on

Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

looking really nice! Those bigger tires make the look. I'm glad you are enjoying her the way i did, and doing all the work i never was going to get to. It would be awsome if you could make it to ouray.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Loving that bumper, good looking Jeep!

What locking clamp did you use on that Jerry can?
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Austin4x4 wrote:looking really nice! Those bigger tires make the look. I'm glad you are enjoying her the way i did, and doing all the work i never was going to get to. It would be awsome if you could make it to ouray.
Thanks! Its been a fun truck, I'm glad I ended up with it. Ouray this summer is on the list, with any luck I should see ya up there

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Loving that bumper, good looking Jeep!

Thank you, I used a old Con Ferr spare tire jerry can mount without the tire standoff. It clamps under the lip and over the handle.

az chip

Post by az chip »

I like your waggy!

1981 Cherokee Chief
'81 Cherokee Chief 81 WT Chief/MSD 6/Holley Sniper/ Rusty 4" Spring lift/ Bulltear oil adapter/K&P Engineering Oil Filter/ NP 208/ Serehill Light Harness/KC LED Headlights/ Evil Twin Fab Roof Rack and sliders/ Ross mirror mounts.

Grand_Wag_85

Post by Grand_Wag_85 »

Robbie wrote:
Grand_Wag_85 wrote:Loving that bumper, good looking Jeep!

Thank you, I used a old Con Ferr spare tire jerry can mount without the tire standoff. It clamps under the lip and over the handle.
Thanks!
82 J10
77 J10 Golden Eagle 401
88 GW

You know it's bad when your car is on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

Topic author
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Forgot about this thread but still lurk on this forum from time to time. Here is the update on the 85
LM7/4l60e/NP241C
04 Super Duty Axles (still on leafs for now)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

The little one from early pic, should be near ready to start driving it?

Looks like a natural holding that steering wheel :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

Austin4x4

Post by Austin4x4 »

Nice to see it still on the road. Finally got the upgrades it deserved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk