76 Wagoneer on a Dodge frame

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

super dually

Re: 76 Wagoneer on a Dodge frame

Post by super dually »

Hey waggyguy,,don't be fooled by the guys at the glass shop about the windshield. I have taken out many and installed them too,,but myself. what you need to do is put the rubber gasket in the frame first with some sealer,(that can be a little messy) then the windshield I found out the best way is to stick the top of the windshield into the gasket first,,(does help to have someone help with this, one on each side, meaning the outside of the windshield) after you get the top corners and all across the top stuck into the gasket, you work your way down the sides and bottom pulling the gasket up and over the windshield...just take your time doing this. I have a hook tool I use for this kinda like a clip puller or radiator hose removal tool. once you get the windshield all set in,,then I run a bead of sealer around the windshield down in the rubber gasket then clip the gasker together to lock it all in...then put all the crome trim in,,it slides into the gasket (sort of) .a little spay lube can help here. Hope I explained that all well enough...Super dually

Topic author
WaggyGuy

Post by WaggyGuy »

Nice, thanks Super Dually!

I wonder if it would work to put a string in the groove the windshield sits in then pull it out while pushing on the windshield to pull that lip up (not sure if that makes sense). The same way older windows were put in.

Tatsadasayago

Post by Tatsadasayago »

WaggyGuy, Yeah, that works if the seal is new and lubed with something. I would tie a knot at the end of the string (Construction chalk line without the chalk), jam the little wad under the seal then pull it around the perimeter of the glass. The worse thing you can do is employ anything metal with a rough surface as this usually causes the edge of the glass to chip and often leads to a crack. The L shaped radiator hose pick or nylon door panel removal tools work very well also.
One thing I did learn from the glass installers: Make sure the work area, vehicle and glass are nice and warm.
1977 Cherokee Chief - The Blair Jeep Project III
A collection of parts flying in close formation

Eastudio

Post by Eastudio »

Nice build, thank you for sharing . I have been watching your updates and progress
You want to see it complete, I want to see it complete too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Crisd

Post by Crisd »

I know this thread is cold, but I'd love to see how it finished out. Any updates??
Black '88 on shortened Dodge Ram 2500HD chassis
Gray '88 LS ECU swap project
Green '91 all stock except vacuum hose mod