Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Post by 66stepside »

sirrus wrote:66stepside, where can I get a pair of floor mats like these? I have ugly black rubber ones that don’t fit that well now and kinda want to keep rubber. These look lovely and look like they fit well
Costco, haha. Costco (a membership-based bulk store) often gets in automotive floor mats during the fall: sets of four. I don’t know what happened to the smaller rear mats, though.

These’s used to be in my wife’s suv, but got swapped out for weather tech. So I repurposed them for my Willy’s truck. Tan mats didn’t match the Willy’s red interior, but I didn’t care. So when this 78 Cherokee came a long, I took them out of the Willy’s. The willy’s will get some used black ones until I can find decent red ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I saw these mats just now at O’Rielly’s Auto Parts:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jaber wrote:Have you dug it out yet? How bad is it?
Jaber, it’s raining mix with snow here, so I fired up the shop stove this AM (I took a vacation day) to clean up my work space.

I came across the exploded diagram for the panel delivery’s rear door section in the TSM.

IIRC, the bottom edge of the panel’s rear doors are similar in shape to the standard Waggie tailgate. I don’t have pics to prove, or disprove my memory, though.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Thank you sir.
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

jaber wrote:Thank you sir.
You’re very welcome.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m doing a bit of polishing on some rims tonight after a marathon cleaning session out in the shop.

Pretty sure it’s going to take more than one session to get these buggers booger free.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

My favorite factory FSJ wheels! AMC definitely made a good move picking up on this style in the 70s. I just wish they were 8" wide from the factory. Aftermarket is always an option.

Which rig are these going on? They'll shine up nice!
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:My favorite factory FSJ wheels! AMC definitely made a good move picking up on this style in the 70s. I just wish they were 8" wide from the factory. Aftermarket is always an option.

Which rig are these going on? They'll shine up nice!
I dig them, too.

I plan on putting them on the Cherokee even though it’s a base model.

Yeah, with so many of these rims used on all kinds of cars and trucks, you would think JEEP would’ve stepped up and added a bigger, wider version for the trucks. The Sportside would rock the kidney bean rims!

GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Have you found someone to install a new windshield for you locally yet? I know of a guy in Butte that's familiar with the FSJ nuances and comes highly recommended by the resident Jeep expert I ran into. Best part is he charges about 1/3 of what Safelite in Helena quoted me. $225 vs $600ish. 8-)

Just don't know if it's worth that long of a drive for you to get that savings. IE: gas money :shock:
'75 J10 Thriftside, 360, TH400, BW1339

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

GoMopar440 wrote:Have you found someone to install a new windshield for you locally yet? I know of a guy in Butte that's familiar with the FSJ nuances and comes highly recommended by the resident Jeep expert I ran into. Best part is he charges about 1/3 of what Safelite in Helena quoted me. $225 vs $600ish. 8-)

Just don't know if it's worth that long of a drive for you to get that savings. IE: gas money :shock:
There’s one guy in the Deer Park/Colbert area of Spokane County who installs them, but I went ahead and did it myself. I’ll need suction cups and heat to finalize the position, but it’s in and I can move forward with wiring, steering linkage, body mounts now.

There have been a slew of older FSJ’s on FB Marketplace in your neck of the woods. If I lived near you I’d be flat broke, but jeep rich (buying all I saw)!

GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

Give me a shout if you need me to go look at anything for you when I'm home.

Yea, I'm an enabler. :D

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I am flat outta space! I only have a 1/4 acre, sadly my wife gets upset when and if I use the lawn as a permanent parking space for my JEEP addiction!

There’s a flat fender, a manual wag, and a CJ6- I’m foaming at the mouth!

I’m just going try to bust my knuckles on my own rusty buckets until the foaming goes away.

GoMopar440

Post by GoMopar440 »

I have 5 acres at home if its just a matter of space... ;)

Did I mention that I'm an enabler? :evil: :lol:

BTW, I'm not on FB anymore so I haven't seen what's on Marketplace in a long while. Any CJ5s or 8s around here lately? One of those is the only thing I might want as much as my Thriftside. However those 2dr Chiefs have been on my radar a lot more since I joined FSJN.

Hmmm... I think this forum might be enabling me as well. :| :-bd :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

GoMopar440 wrote:I have 5 acres at home if its just a matter of space... ;)

Did I mention that I'm an enabler? :evil: :lol:

BTW, I'm not on FB anymore so I haven't seen what's on Marketplace in a long while. Any CJ5s or 8s around here lately? One of those is the only thing I might want as much as my Thriftside. However those 2dr Chiefs have been on my radar a lot more since I joined FSJN.

Hmmm... I think this forum might be enabling me as well. :| :-bd :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj: :fsj:
Haha- you know the terminology, my wife asked me what was so funny as I laughed out loud when I read ‘enabler’ in the first post. She rolled her eyes, maybe that’s progress?!

5 acres!? You’re living the dream, you lucky dog!

I stopped by this guy’s house recently and he’s on 7 acres and has 20+ Fords from various years stashed everywhere.

He is also a lucky guy! I sold him some studded 33” 8 lug wheels and took some West Coast Jr. Mirrors in part trade.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

The water pump bearings gave out on her. What a can of worms.

I’ll be hitting up the local hardware store for new bolts as three broke off at the pump. I hope to wrap it up tomorrow.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

No fun to be had with those water pump bolts. None at all.

Did you get any warning signs/sounds before it bit the dust or did it happen fast?
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:No fun to be had with those water pump bolts. None at all.

Did you get any warning signs/sounds before it bit the dust or did it happen fast?
I had a few signs- but I mistook the initial rumble sound as tranny trouble. Over the course of a few days, it got worse, and I was able to narrow it down to the bearings in the water pump. At first, I thought it was a loose fan, but after closer inspection... it was obvious what the problem was.

I’ll button it up tomorrow- before the next round of snowfall. I do have to get new bolts, though.

Edit:

Whew. I’m glad that’s over.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

While she is no Truck Norris, I did manage to beat the snow!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I took a break the the FC to install a rear view mirror in the SJ ; I put a 60’s version in for now, then I realized the dreaded saggin headliner at the 60/40 split.

I had a spare chrome retaining strip. It’ll work for now, I suppose. I need to dig into my stash o parts for those interior light cover plates.

Edit:

The heater blower motor stopped working last night:

So today after work, I checked and the fuse; it was fine. Checked for power to fuse; fine. Checked for power to blower motor; fine. Still no blower.

Checked to see if the blower motor was grounded; no ground.

Now it has ground. Problem solved.

Edit:
Mystery leak solved:

A dry rotted gas line. Yikes. I never noticed it when I installed the fuel pump awhile back.

YAE:

Nasty.

YAE:
I’m making good use of the 83 parts wag I got:

She’s getting some bling!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m dialing in hesitation when you got the gas plus a tough start when she’s cold: adjusting the choke, air/idle mix mix and checking timing advance, etc.

As if that weren’t enough, I notice this:

Whoa. So now she’s up for new hoses and belts. I should’ve done that when I replaced the water pump. C’est ls vie.

I’ve got two transmissions to load for the FC while she cools down after the last test run.