Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

There are a few old jeeps left, but not many. The way I look at it is this- a few have to die so the rest many live. You can only save so many.

I did take the studded snow tires off today, well, my son did as we were clearing space to take off his bed and to get the gas tank installed.

One of these days I'll be able to afford real white walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

66stepside wrote:...a Wagoneer body style with a life span of roughly 29 years in the modern world doesn't need further definition than that. It's the second longest life span in the automotive industry ...
Well...

I'm not saying they didn't wear out the tooling over 29 years, but credit where credit is due - the air-cooled Porsche 911 went 36 years (from '63 to '98), the Austin Mini went 42 years (1959 to 2000), the air-cooled Beetle went 59 years (1945 to 2003), and the Land Rover went 67 years (1948 to 2015).

All the who-owned-what-when stuff is really kind of a tangled web after all these decades of buyouts, selloffs, fire sales, and parts bin shuffling. It's kind of amazing anyone can keep it straight enough the keep the vehicles on the road at all!
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

DarkMonohue wrote:
66stepside wrote:...a Wagoneer body style with a life span of roughly 29 years in the modern world doesn't need further definition than that. It's the second longest life span in the automotive industry ...
Well...

I'm not saying they didn't wear out the tooling over 29 years, but credit where credit is due - the air-cooled Porsche 911 went 36 years (from '63 to '98), the Austin Mini went 42 years (1959 to 2000), the air-cooled Beetle went 59 years (1945 to 2003), and the Land Rover went 67 years (1948 to 2015).

All the who-owned-what-when stuff is really kind of a tangled web after all these decades of buyouts, selloffs, fire sales, and parts bin shuffling. It's kind of amazing anyone can keep it straight enough the keep the vehicles on the road at all!
Thing is, the 911 changed body style numerous times over that time span. A '98 993 is NOTHING like a '68 911. The Mini changed body styles, and the bug of course changed quite a bit over its time, but the tub did stay mostly unchanged. Even for the Mexico built models many things were the same. Although having worked on some, there was a lot that did change.

The defender had the same look, but the sheet metal changed several times, you cannot put an older fender onto a newer model.

You can put a fender from a 63 wagoneer straight onto a 91. And I think thats his point. Not that the vehicle was sold for X number of years, but that the sheet metal went nearly unchanged for that time period.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

DarkMonohue

Post by DarkMonohue »

Fair enough. I know the 911 and Beetle especially changed, but the old Mini was *fairly* consistent (other than minor changes like roll-up windows, different grille, etc) throughout its run - excluding, obviously, the New Mini, which shares no real lineage with the classic.
'85 J20 Old Man Truck, bought @ 65K miles. Not great, but better than nothing at all.
High quality dumb stuff in the intro thread and the slow build thread
Prospect, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
Bad Company, 360th Misfire Regiment, 161st Haiku Assault Division

Tech Tip: there is no apostrophe in Willys. The more you know...

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Here's an update, I installed a 2011 JK front bumper valance on the panel awhile back ago. It's black of course and I wedged it under the front bumper for a more sleek, finished look.

This weekend I tackled a rear receiver hitch. It had been on my list of to-dos for awhile.

I had a spare 2007 Grand Cherokee factory hitch and cut the brackets off. Used 5" angle iron to mount new brackets and then reinforced it and welded it it all together.

It's buttoned up, almost ready for installation, but I have to drill holes in the hitch first. Set up to mount with the factory holes in the frame.

ImageImage

I'll be drilling the holes and mounting it tomorrow- along with a test run pulling the trailer:

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

She did pretty well!

https://vimeo.com/172367759

Now for that axle swap.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

I sent you a PM some time back, but you have not looked at it. Can you look at it and reply when you get a chance? Your PM count up at the top right should show a count.

BTW: Waggy is looking great.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

What? I did not get a notification! That's weird. But then my tapatalk app isn't notifying me of thread updates either. Insert mad face emoticon here.

Topic author
66stepside

Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

I hung a bike rack off the recover hitch... My son mows 5 yards a week. I dropped him off at the first house and he rode his bike to the rest, then on home.

I could get used to this.

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Damn that's looking sweet...
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks!

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I got a last minute call from a fellow jeep owner and hit the road to revisit and snag an early 60's aftermarket roof rack off a 63 Wagoneer.

Last time Al and I went I hemmed and hawed about the roof rack- didn't get it and kicked myself ever since.

I didn't snap a pic of the jeep prior to taking the aftermarket roof rack off, but here's his herd- he's selling everything off, he wants everything to go so he can clean up his 30 acres.

He also has 5, or more 4 bbl intake manifolds for the rambler/jeep 327 Vig.! Many valve covers for the 327 and like 4 power steering units for the 230 I6 set up- quite the collection of parts and vehicles.

He's driven each and every one of them and it's amazing to see it all and take it all in. He's actually taken many of his old parts to the scrap yard over the past year.

I wish I had space for it all.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

I'm interested in some of that 327 gear!

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar

Renodemona

Post by Renodemona »

Dang that's a good collection. Great look gladiator. Hopefully some/all of those get to someone who can get them back on the road.
"Wait, what's on fire!?" KJ7TCT
--------------------------------------------------------------
1976 Cherokee w/t 'Susan' 401/TH400/QT(PT)
FiTech Go EFI, Edelbrock Performer intake
3" Rough Country Springs, HEI Dizzy
-------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Cherokee Trailhawk V6 'Sedna'

tedlovesjeeps71

Re: RE: Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by tedlovesjeeps71 »

66stepside wrote:
I didn't snap a pic of the jeep prior to taking the aftermarket roof rack off, but here's his herd- he's selling everything off, he wants everything to go so he can clean up his 30 acres.
Dang... where is that herd hiding??

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Deep in the woods of North Idaho.

I called Montana Overland and FSJParts in Couer d'Alene, ID. so most of the parts will end up for sale online through one of those Jeep Parts Places.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Saw this one for sale locally- 1963- so much want!

We passed on it.

Last edited by 66stepside on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

44bz wrote:I'm interested in some of that 327 gear!

Weirdly enough, almost every jeep he has- has a 327 in it, from the white wag, red truck and that white truck, too. I'll PM you his number and email address, as he told me he will ship them out individually.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Renodemona wrote:Dang that's a good collection. Great look gladiator. Hopefully some/all of those get to someone who can get them back on the road.
True! The white one is a small window cab with the custom can script. I thought small windowed cabs only went on larger windowed cabs, but I guess not.

44bz

Post by 44bz »

66stepside wrote:
44bz wrote:I'm interested in some of that 327 gear!

Weirdly enough, almost every jeep he has- has a 327 in it, from the white wag, red truck and that white truck, too. I'll PM you his number and email address, as he told me he will ship them out individually.
Very cool. I'm actually headed thru your area this weekend, coming back thru again next weekend. Is he very far out of the Spokane -coer da lene area? I wouldn't mind getting a 4bbl intake.

1968 J2000 - AMC 327/T18/D20 (twin stick), stock D44s, 3" body lift, 35x12.50 Goodyear MTRs w/ Kevlar