Panel delivery resto-mod wag canceled in lieu of 78 Cherokee NT.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Re: Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

Thanks!

While I am trying to sell it (it just hasn't been the same after getting trapped underneath it), I am still driving it occasionally- like to work today.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I managed to find the other bumper trim piece at the wrecking yard today.

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

So you still have the panel. Cool. Still selling? I can't buy it but just wondering if you changed your mind.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:So you still have the panel. Cool. Still selling? I can't buy it but just wondering if you changed your mind.

Yeah, I've still got it. Lol. One deal fell through, but most just want to trade.
I just might have to change my mind on selling it, but as long as I have it, I might as well keeping tinkering with it. It won't be too much longer til it'll be put away for the winter. This Fall has been mild for sure, maybe winter will be as well.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I don't think I mentioned a trip to the automotive shop for a once over and new brakes, but she's back from the shop and runs better than ever, the new brakes feel good, and stop great. No more pesky oil leaks, either. I might have to put on my big boy pants and get over the nde. :P

Not too much of a big deal, but, I was able to stop the passenger's side parking light to stop the intermittent on/off thing. I didn't know that was going on until tonight.

New bulbs in the instrument cluster:

And I spent some time at the wrecking yard (where they pull the parts for you, not my usual wrecking yard haunts), and came back with the Wrangler rear seat mounting brackets.

Next comes redoing the wrangler rear seat's Upholstery to match the mustang bucket seats, and, of course install it in the back of the panel. I am almost ready to put the carpet in back there, too. Carpet will come before the seat install.

Topic author
66stepside

Panel delivery resto-mod wagoneer build

Post by 66stepside »

Well, change of plans. Out with the old, in with the stock tank off the 68.

Edit:

Went and filled her up. I was 1/2 expecting the gas gauge to finally work, but no dice.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I am tackling the upholstry on the TJ rear set this somber holiday. When I snagged the bucket seats from the 1996 Mustang Convertible, I also took the rear seats as well so I could have fabric to match.

The two upper fabric pieces were stitched together to form one piece, then trimmed to fit.

Here's the test fit on the upper seat. A bit o' padding and snug stitching should smooth her out.
The bottom Mustang seat is a one piece fabric, so I have to decide whether or not to trim the outside edges, or cut it up the middle and re-stitch it based upon how it all matches to the upper.

While it doesn't seem like much, I have about four hours into just this upper portion. Slow and steady wins the race.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

It's a balmy 55 right now so I am taking advantage of that to get the 68 into the shop for a tear down. Every possible part will be bagged, tagged and put away to end up as parts for the other two s'wags.

Something's going to have to sit outside while this happens. It'll be the yellow one, though.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

One item on my list is to install the 1414D Super Wagoneer Console Mounted Clock into the Wagoneer panel delivery.

I'd like to have it actually work, and there are rebuild kits supposedly online but I have yet to find one. To replace the lightbulb, the whole unit has to be disassembled first. So that's what I did this AM.

I'll head to the auto parts store and look for an LED replacement that does not require splicing, or altering the housing unit. Although it would be nice to change a burnt out bulb without having to disassemble the entire unit.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I installed the Super Wagoneer Console light and just wired the light. I bench tested the clock mechanism and it didn't budge.

You can just make out the clock in the lower right corner of this next pic, but in reality, it's easily visible from the driver's seat. I also ran power to the light on the column mounted tach.

I've been painting the inside of the cargo area, and the roof prepping it for some fat mat, or dynamat kind of product and I found more pine needles wedged into the crevices where the walls meet the roofline. Weird. The shop vac with a few different attachments cleaned it up.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

The points in the clock probably need cleaning. Pull (or push. I forget) the button and "flick" it to start the clock.
Check my parts for sale near Seattle

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

Clock looks real sweet! That old script is the best.
73 J4000. 360, MC 2100, T18A, D20, stock closed knuckle Dana 44 front, 60-2 rear. Warn Lock-O-Matics, Warn/Belleview electric winch, true duals with glasspacks, old-school front diff skid plate, used 265 Toyos on 16" AR wheels.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I won't bother to get the clock up and running at this time Carnuck. I might put it on my list of future mini-projects, though.

Thanks Twisted Frame. I wanted to put a dash/glove box in it, but I just went with what I had. The interior light bulb 57 is brighter than the 53. So I'll be using the interior 57 bulb from this point forward- puts out the right amount of light.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I took her out for a spin and some glamour shots.

I lost a beauty ring somewhere along the way. Went back to find it and it's long gone. : (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twisted frame

Post by twisted frame »

That cowl induction hood is so subtle - perhaps because the rest of the truck is also not overly done-up. Maybe it's because there's so much white sheet metal and less glass? I don't know exactly but it's real cool!

willysdave

Post by willysdave »

I really have to ask but, please do not take offence, I love your wagon. I believe your 1963 wagon is not made by Willys. The company was sold to AMC and the new type of wagon, (like your body style)was sold in the same dealer lots as the old style willys wagon and trucks. I have read this over and over throughout the years. Also I would wonder about the 62 J200 truck as I have had a 62 Willys and it was the old body style. The wagon I have now is a 61. If I am wrong, can you please clear this up ? Again, not trying to offend, I just love the history of these vehicles, they have so many twists and turns ! Thank you !
1961 Willys Wagon, high compression 383 stroker,custom exhaust, TH400 w/stage two kit, Dana 300, Currie twin stick,LoMax 4:1,D60 front, 14 bolt rear, Discs, E brakes, hydro brakes, PSC hydro assist, ARBs,38 x 14.5 x 17 MTRKs on steel, 4 link front w/ King coilovers, Autometer Phanthom Gauges,Winters shifter, buckets ,old crappy paint with some rust and dents, just the way I like it ;)

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

They rolled off the same assembly line from Jeep so it's a moot point.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

twisted frame wrote:That cowl induction hood is so subtle - perhaps because the rest of the truck is also not overly done-up. Maybe it's because there's so much white sheet metal and less glass? I don't know exactly but it's real cool!

Thanks, I can't pin point the "why" either, so maybe the answer is all of the above? Hahaha. Subtle is what I was going for, I am glad you think it worked out. ; )

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

willysdave wrote:I really have to ask but, please do not take offence, I love your wagon. I believe your 1963 wagon is not made by Willys. The company was sold to AMC and the new type of wagon, (like your body style)was sold in the same dealer lots as the old style willys wagon and trucks. I have read this over and over throughout the years. Also I would wonder about the 62 J200 truck as I have had a 62 Willys and it was the old body style. The wagon I have now is a 61. If I am wrong, can you please clear this up ? Again, not trying to offend, I just love the history of these vehicles, they have so many twists and turns ! Thank you !

No offense taken. I think technically it's probably a Kaiser, I don't know the exact date Willy's sold itself to Kaiser, but Kaiser kept the Willy's stamping on the firewall tags until 65- which is the year (I believe) they also dropped the classically cool flat fender truck and wagon lines. Then again, re-tooling the plants to run the new wagoneer and j truck rigs had to of happened many years before Kaiser bought, then took over, so who knows?

I do agree with Carnuck, though. I believe it's a moot point. I just like it because it's a jeep, it's a wagoneer, and it's a panel delivery. A trifecta of cool combinations.

Ford, Willy's, Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler, and currently Fiat, have all held the jeep mantle in one way, or another, and each definitely added some value to the product line that has cultivated some real iconic lines, and obvious emotional attachments. As far as "branding" goes, JEEP is one of the top brands that most represent an American Ideal.
We, as consumers, can nit-pic, and wax nostalgia, but above all, a Wagoneer body style with a life span of roughly 29 years in the modern world doesn't need further definition than that. It's the second longest life span in the automotive industry (Harley-Davidson has 1st place for that). In addition, the resurgence in appreciation and value of the iconic Grand Wagoneer only reinforces the sheer genius of Brook Steven's design. Willy's? Kaiser? AMC? Chrysler? It's all good.

carnuck

Post by carnuck »

{PSSST! You forgot Renault!} :shock:
th_hiding.gif
66stepside wrote:
willysdave wrote:I really have to ask but, please do not take offence, I love your wagon. I believe your 1963 wagon is not made by Willys. The company was sold to AMC and the new type of wagon, (like your body style)was sold in the same dealer lots as the old style willys wagon and trucks. I have read this over and over throughout the years. Also I would wonder about the 62 J200 truck as I have had a 62 Willys and it was the old body style. The wagon I have now is a 61. If I am wrong, can you please clear this up ? Again, not trying to offend, I just love the history of these vehicles, they have so many twists and turns ! Thank you !

No offense taken. I think technically it's probably a Kaiser, I don't know the exact date Willy's sold itself to Kaiser, but Kaiser kept the Willy's stamping on the firewall tags until 65- which is the year (I believe) they also dropped the classically cool flat fender truck and wagon lines. Then again, re-tooling the plants to run the new wagoneer and j truck rigs had to of happened many years before Kaiser bought, then took over, so who knows?

I do agree with Carnuck, though. I believe it's a moot point. I just like it because it's a jeep, it's a wagoneer, and it's a panel delivery. A trifecta of cool combinations.

Ford, Willy's, Kaiser, AMC, Chrysler, DaimlerChrysler, and currently Fiat, have all held the jeep mantle in one way, or another, and each definitely added some value to the product line that has cultivated some real iconic lines, and obvious emotional attachments. As far as "branding" goes, JEEP is one of the top brands that most represent an American Ideal.
We, as consumers, can nit-pic, and wax nostalgia, but above all, a Wagoneer body style with a life span of roughly 29 years in the modern world doesn't need further definition than that. It's the second longest life span in the automotive industry (Harley-Davidson has 1st place for that). In addition, the resurgence in appreciation and value of the iconic Grand Wagoneer only reinforces the sheer genius of Brook Steven's design. Willy's? Kaiser? AMC? Chrysler? It's all good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.