The Glorified Work Truck Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Rockdrummer93

The Glorified Work Truck Build

Post by Rockdrummer93 »

Been wanting one of these for a while. Ever since my first short lived Cherokee chief and since buying my new tow pig. I have been wanting to build a J-Truck even more. Something cool and Jeep that could do all the truck stuff I didn’t want to do with the nice truck. That could take a beating and still be semi comfortable to drive to Lowe’s or the garbage dump.

Picked up two trucks back in early May. Worked out a pretty good deal on them by trading a bunch of rough cut lumber that was left at my new house for both. A 1979 J20 and a 1977 J10. The J20 had a title and is what I was wanting but the body and frame were too far gone. The J10 was almost pristine but no title. The PO had told me he had bought the J10 for parts for the J20 and that’s how I got both.

My plan is take both of these trucks and make one good one. I have started with pulling parts that I want or may need off the J20 and trying to get it gone. I have pulled the complete drivetrain and suspension along with a few other small parts. Once the rest is gone my plan is to rebuild the axles and once they are done bring the J10 in to swap them out and get it driving.

Overall goal is to not do too much to this truck. Have a vary basic build. Get it running and driving. Install the j20 axles with a SOA/Shackle flip kit and some 37s and use it. Ideally later on will want to do. 12v Cummins and a NV4500. But for right now going to get the 360 running well, install a T18 I picked up and just have it doing the best it can with what it already has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 Cherokee Chief Project

2001 Cherokee, Tons, Stretched, 40s

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: The Glorified Work Truck Build

Post by Stuka »

Its worth getting some additional items from the J20, like the steering box and brake master/booster, which are larger than the J10's.

As for the cummins swap, FSJ's have not faired well with such a heavy engine and a bunch of lift here. We have had at least one roll on the most minor forest road because of the weight of the engine, and that was with full width axles. People have had decent luck with 4BT's, decent amount lighter. And we have some R2.4 swaps here. Though that may be a bit costly for a truck like this.

Not saying you can't do that swap, but going from an ~480lb engine to a ~1200lb engine really impacts center of gravity. J-Trucks are quite a bit smaller than other full size trucks. Which its worth noting you have to do quite a few mods to the firewall to get it to fit. We have threads here on it if you look around.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
Rockdrummer93

Re: The Glorified Work Truck Build

Post by Rockdrummer93 »

Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1976 Cherokee Chief Project

2001 Cherokee, Tons, Stretched, 40s