1989 Grand Wagoneer Paint/Grille

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
mtripoli

1989 Grand Wagoneer Paint/Grille

Post by mtripoli »

Hello!
I have another build thread going on the forum but wanted to bring up a couple of questions.

I currently am in the middle of restoring my 1989 Grand Wagoneer. The body has been dropped off for metal work, rust repair and paint.

I love the look of the classic wagoneers and wanted to get everyone’s opinion and see if it’s possible. I’m thinking of doing a two tone paint job (white on the roof, orange/blue/sage green) for the body and doing a grille conversion to make it look like a earlier generation Wagoneer.

Does anyone have any examples of a resto mod like this? Is the 89 the same body as the 70’s Wagoneer? Would it look odd doing a paint job like that? Any advice/photos/opinions are helpful.

SJTD

Re: 1989 Grand Wagoneer Paint/Grille

Post by SJTD »

Sounds good to me. I like the earlier Wags without the shelf paper on the sides. I'm putting a razor grille on my '84 and taking off the wood.

The tail lights changed at some point. The older ones won't fit without major cutting.

The grilles a pretty much interchangeable. Mounts are different but easy to fix. The only issue I'm aware of is that the hood is different for the rhino to fit the corners. The later hoods will have a gap at the top corners. Most folks probably don't notice but it bugs me if I pay attention. Also the razor has and later have a bar across the center of the hood until the pig-nose.

Then there are the changes to the dash at '72 and '85 or so. Door and tailgate latches varied.

Other than that I think it was all paint and trim. Not counting drive train changes of course.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.