1978 Cherokee

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
NCStateBadger

1978 Cherokee

Post by NCStateBadger »

I picked this '78 up in Montana on 12/19/21. I am the second owner. AMC 360 2bbl Quadratrc with hi/low. Cherokee was originally in Washington and used primarily as a farm truck, pasture to pasture and occasionally to town. Odometer reads 33k, family says that it is accurate. Originally owner has been gone for years now, so no way to verify. The license plate was last stickered in '99 and I know that it has been sitting since at least 2011, maybe since 1999, with nothing done to it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NCStateBadger on Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1978 Jeep Cherokee Quadratrac, AMC360 2 bbl.

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Re: !978 Cherokee

Post by NCStateBadger »

My son and I have made some progress since getting it back home to Iowa.

Washed, vacuumed.
Vinyl flooring, old and heat barrier have been removed. Found a little rust in front passenger floor board. Everywhere else seems sound for the floor.
Installed new battery, briefly, all lights minus high beams worked.
Removed headliner (found evidence of mice) and all interior door and cargo panels and all trim pieces.
Brakes worked, E-brake did and has now stopped working.
No leaks. Engine can be turned by hand.
We did compression test, wrong. We have not had a chance to redo correctly. We forget to open throttle up completely. Results were all eight cylinders between 150-160.
Dropped a gas line into new fuel gas can and motor fired up and ran.

We are looking to upgrade the stock AMC 360 engine. Edelbrock performer intake manifold while changing the 2bbl to 4bbl. Putting in 2132 cam. Complete ignition upgrade, MSD distributor base, cap, rotor, MSD TFI coil, MSD wires. Hedman Headers. Dual exhaust.
Probably 6" lift, haven't decided between Alcan or BJs.
New wheels and tires. Hopefully fit 33/12.50 on 15" rims.
Convert rears to disc brakes. New complete brakes up front.

Ordered ABS complete panel kit from MIB.
Ordered new gas tank (center mounted in spare tire location) with electric pump from BJs to allow for dual exhaust.
Ordered aluminum washer fluid tank, aluminum overflow tank and the Hedman headers from BJs.
Last edited by NCStateBadger on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

I have more pics of interior, engine, and body before and after cleanup but it now says that the files are too larger and do not know how to post them correctly. any help on posting pice would be appreciated.

kjandb

Post by kjandb »

NCStateBadger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:26 am I have more pics of interior, engine, and body before and after cleanup but it now says that the files are too larger and do not know how to post them correctly. any help on posting pice would be appreciated.
Tapatalk or web? On web upload to imgur.com and use the 'insert image button'. Paste your imgur.com/mypic.jpg and it should work.

Looking forward to the pics!
'71 Wagoneer - 4" BJ's Leaf Lift - early 360 - Avocado Mist ???
S Idaho

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

More pics
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by NCStateBadger on Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

ImageImageImageImage

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Love the patina on the hood and body. Sounds like a great project. Good luck!
NCStateBadger wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:24 am My son and I have made some progress since getting it back home to Iowa.

Washed, vacuumed.
Vinyl flooring, old and heat barrier have been removed. Found a little rust in front passenger floor board. Everywhere else seems sound for the floor.
Installed new battery, briefly, all lights minus high beams worked.
Removed headliner (found evidence of mice) and all interior door and cargo panels and all trim pieces.
Brakes worked, E-brake did and has now stopped working.
No leaks. Engine can be turned by hand.
We did compression test, wrong. We have not had a chance to redo correctly. We forget to open throttle up completely. Results were all eight cylinders between 150-160.
Dropped a gas line into new fuel gas can and motor fired up and ran.

We are looking to upgrade the stock AMC 360 engine. Edelbrock performer intake manifold while changing the 2bbl to 4bbl. Putting in 2132 cam. Complete ignition upgrade, MSD distributor base, cap, rotor, MSD TFI coil, MSD wires. Hedman Headers. Dual exhaust.
Probably 6" lift, haven't decided between Alcan or BJs.
New wheels and tires. Hopefully fit 33/12.50 on 15" rims.
Convert rears to disc brakes. New complete brakes up front.

Ordered ABS complete panel kit from MIB.
Ordered new gas tank (center mounted in spare tire location) with electric pump from BJs to allow for dual exhaust.
Ordered aluminum washer fluid tank, aluminum overflow tank and the Hedman headers from BJs.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

So, rust in the usual places. Front passenger floorboard and rear drivers side fender. Typical gas overflow stain/rot/whatever it is called. Driver side door got head butted by a cow and cause dent and knocked mirror off. Car is basically complete. We did loose the rooftop spoiler during transport somewhere in Montana while crossing an Indian reservation. I assume it didn't like going 80+ mpg.

Time to start replacing, rebuilding, upgrading, ordering and more ordering.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Looks really complete. Even the factory (and over dangerous) bumper jack. I also really like the patina, though brown is one of my least favorite colors, I would be inclined to keep that.

And yeah, rust in the normal spots. But nothing too significant that I can see. It gets rough when the roof seam is rusted through.

Solid base for a project though!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

Been out in the weather a lot. Lots of sun! Looks complete though. Fun project! :-bd
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination A/Ts, 7600 GVWR
Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
Dual Everything: '15 Chryco Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk, ECO Green
Blockchain the vote.

rocklaurence
Vendor

Re: 1978 Cherokee

Post by rocklaurence »

I salvaged a '77 that looked exactly like that! The Passenger's side was caved-in by a motor cycle impact and it sat for 15 years before I got it. The interior turned Pink-ish like yours also. I think but not certain that mine had a 3 speed manual.

1978J10REDWHITE

Post by 1978J10REDWHITE »

There are several HEI distributors out there I feel might be better than a coil Dist type setup.
I used a HEI in my rigs and they work fine, actually makes them run better and start easier.

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

A '78 comes from the factory with the Motorcraft Duraspark ignition. This is a VR (variable reluctance) magnetically-triggered distributor. Industry standard design. With upgraded plastic parts and wires, it's functionally the same as the GM HEI. It's also easier to adapt to the MSD or Summit CD module, if that's desired. Also no functional difference from an MSD replacement distributor. Look at the instructions for the MSD module, either on the Summit or MSD sites. Provides explicit instructions for using the module with the existing Motorcraft distributor.
Tim Reese
Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS/PDB, hubcaps.
Blockchain the vote.

2nd Day

Post by 2nd Day »

78s a great year!

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Currently Jeepless (Previously 78 Cherokee WT-2 each, and 79 Waggy, 94 XJ)
Co-Founder of the East Coast Invasion
I live In Virginia :roll:

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

Got delayed but back at and will post pics soon. As of today, it is in a thousand pieces. Pulled body off the frame today. Sending the frame out next week for to get blasted and painted back up. Then the chassis rebuild/upgrades start while the body is sent out for body work and paint.

I have already ordered and received most parts for chassis, now looking to start ordering for some engine upgrades. One problem, though. I did not think to measure carb to hood clearance before i tore it all apart. Does anyone know the measurement for clearance? Or model numbers of intake, carb and filter height combos that you are running? I am wanting to get an Edelbrock Air-gap 7531. I already have a Holley 4150 carb and then whatever air filter fits. Anyone out there that can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

tgreese wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:17 am A '78 comes from the factory with the Motorcraft Duraspark ignition. This is a VR (variable reluctance) magnetically-triggered distributor. Industry standard design. With upgraded plastic parts and wires, it's functionally the same as the GM HEI. It's also easier to adapt to the MSD or Summit CD module, if that's desired. Also no functional difference from an MSD replacement distributor. Look at the instructions for the MSD module, either on the Summit or MSD sites. Provides explicit instructions for using the module with the existing Motorcraft distributor.
That is the route that I was planning. I think I have all the models numbers figured out that I need but if you know them, it would be greatly appreciated if you posted for me.

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

- Summit MSD cap, rotor kit MSD-8414
- Summit MSD replacement cable MSD-8862
- Summit MSD plug wires MSD-35859
- Summit MSD Ignition 5527 Street Fire Coil
- Summit Ignition Wire Adapter MSD-8869
- Summit Ignition Digital 6AL controller MSD-6425
- Summit Ignition MSD-84039
- Summit Ignition MSD-37334 Iridium Spark Plugs (already purchased)

tgreese

Post by tgreese »

NCStateBadger wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:10 pm
tgreese wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:17 am A '78 comes from the factory with the Motorcraft Duraspark ignition. This is a VR (variable reluctance) magnetically-triggered distributor. Industry standard design. With upgraded plastic parts and wires, it's functionally the same as the GM HEI. It's also easier to adapt to the MSD or Summit CD module, if that's desired. Also no functional difference from an MSD replacement distributor. Look at the instructions for the MSD module, either on the Summit or MSD sites. Provides explicit instructions for using the module with the existing Motorcraft distributor.
That is the route that I was planning. I think I have all the models numbers figured out that I need but if you know them, it would be greatly appreciated if you posted for me.
If you search old posts here and at IFSJA, there are plenty of ignition upgrade threads to refer to. I'm not sure what you are asking of me - there is a MSD ignition module, and an adapter cable to the Motorcraft distributor. As I suggested, go to Summit or MSD web sites and read the instructions for the module, posted with the module listing. If you want to go all-MSD, suggest you contact MSD for advice on their products.
Tim Reese
Blockchain the vote.

Anvil-3

Post by Anvil-3 »

Looks great! Wonderful father son project! I wish I had something like that as a kid. Couple questions:

Is there a reason you are looking to do so much MSD upgrades and intake etc and not just go to TBI/EFI?

Also is there a reason you are going for a 6” lift over a changing to spring over axle? More cost efficient/improved ride quality with flatter springs… just an idea worth exploring if you haven’t!

I’m jealous of your solid floors!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Grand Wagoneer - under the knife

Topic author
NCStateBadger

Post by NCStateBadger »

Anvil-3 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:43 pm Looks great! Wonderful father son project! I wish I had something like that as a kid. Couple questions:

Is there a reason you are looking to do so much MSD upgrades and intake etc and not just go to TBI/EFI?

Also is there a reason you are going for a 6” lift over a changing to spring over axle? More cost efficient/improved ride quality with flatter springs… just an idea worth exploring if you haven’t!

I’m jealous of your solid floors!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ended up ordering a 4” lift springs from Alcan.