Wagoneer for the wife.

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

rainman

Re: Wagoneer for the wife.

Post by rainman »

pcoplin wrote:Now I just have to find a more compact radiator overflow and washer reservoir. Then cut the driver's fender and sink those and the air box down into. Also find a place for the charcoal canister and evap solenoid. Gonna be tight. :)
You might be thinking/trying to hard. Your stock airbox from the 360 should work (if not get on from a 95 down dakota like i did after i sold the one from my 360. Takes the same filter) I mounted my charcoal canister to the fender from underneath right behind the drivers headlight. It worked perfectly since i could keep the stock hard plastic hoses. Used the stock radiator overflow and washer canisters (moved the washer canister rearward to where the 2nd tank is for the rear window on the 89?-91 waggys. I'll try to remember to take some pics tomorrow when there is light.
1987 Grand Wagoneer
5.2L/46RH/NP229/4"/31s/4.56/ARBs
Current FSJ status: Mostly functional...mostly

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

I don't have any of the stock Waggy intake stuff. It came with an Edelbrock round filter, and none of the charcoal canister hoses. I don't even know what the intake looks like. :D

A pic would definitely be helpful. The ZJ box is real big.
85 Grand Wagoneer 5.2/44RE/NP229
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

rainman

Post by rainman »

I was refering to the stock ZJ charcoal canister hoses.

I still need to aquire an intake hose. I'm pretty sure the stock FSJ one will work. I never had one.

My only concern with my current intake setup is the A/C pressure fitting points directly into the front of the air cleaner housing using the ZJ hard line. I should probably rebuild the compressor since it's been open for 5+ years and may use a dakota model since the port/hose configuration works better with the round air cleaner.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Gumby

Post by Gumby »

pcoplin wrote:Looks like I got an extra inch or more out of the springs. Must have been a saggy batch.

Rebuilt the steering box. Note the color of the end cap. CHANGE your p/s fluid! I had no idea p/s fluid could get this much gunk on the inside of the box.

Also have been slowly refurbing the wheels. Went from the gold to a graphite.

Before:

After:
Just wanted to know how did you return the rims and how hard was the steering box rebuild?

Pretty good job so far I just wish my wife would even drive mine.
1984 GW 360/727/208.... 4"/ 31"
2004 CRD QC SRW 3500 4X4 (DD)
1983 "project Dubya" (long term)

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

I went to the yard today, got a combo coolant/washer bottle. Messed around with positioning with all combinations using the ZJ box, a TJ box, and a couple different coolant bottles. Even got the sheet metal. Decided to just use the Dakota intake, or a simple cone filter for now, and using the stock Wagoneer stuff on teh driver's fender. Going to focus on getting it running. But you know how temporary fixes are, they tend to become permanent. :D

Rainman, did you have A/C lines made to adapt to the Wagoneer? BTW, the newer compressors have a one piece mount that exits off to the passender side, those may work also. But you'll have to have the existing lines modified, since the lines are integral with the mounting block.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Gumby wrote: Just wanted to know how did you return the rims and how hard was the steering box rebuild?

Pretty good job so far I just wish my wife would even drive mine.
Thanks. On the rims I just used paint remover and a plastic paint scraper. Then steel wool to clean the insides and polish up the spokes.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

rainman

Post by rainman »

I was referring to the stock zj lines. I have yet to put my AC system together. It's in the "non-essential" category. I'll likely get custom hoses made, the only FSJ parts I will use will be under the dash.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

SPent the past couple days waffling on how to do the fuel system. I think I'll ultimately build an aluminum tank that replaces the stock one that uses the modern ZJ/XJ/TJ style pump with incorporated regulator. But that's another day.

For now I installed an old Ford in-tank fuel pump I've kept for no reason for about 15 years. :lol: Goes to show you: keep your misc parts! I've used several things on this swap that has been left over from my other Jeep projects. Cut the sender, attache with a hose, and hose clamp a rod to stabilize it. It's a pump for a 95 Tracer/Topaz 4 cylinder, but has the same specs as an E2000 or E2182 Ford pump.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... fier=21300

If it's not enough at WOT, I'll pull it and buy the 5.0 Mustang pump. Using a WJ fuel filter right off of the tank that has a built-in regulator at the 49 psi I need. Just need to grab the factory ful lines off a Chrysler with a V8 so I have the 3/8 feed to the fuel rail.

It was a SOLID 15 minutes work. :)

Planning:

Cut and attached, Just have to wire it.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Quick shot of the trans mount I made. Not elegant, but quite easy since the trans lined up well when I moved the crossmember back to the 4.2l holes.

Note the 11/16 spacer ring.

ALso had to modify the shifter mount to accomodate the extra spacer:
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Going to have to drop the tank to properly rerun the lines. Got to empty it. I'll also see how low the fuel pump gets the tank.

98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

78 WIDETRAC

Post by 78 WIDETRAC »

How are things going on the swap? Looks great with the front clip back on, I've been driving mine alot since the spring swap. I like it. just looking for some dog dish caps that fit the 6 lug steel wheels.
91 Grand Wagoneer
89 Grand Wagoneer
80 Golden Hawk
81 Cherokee

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Going real well. Working a bit each day on the small bits. Need to run fuel lines, still decided to half-ass it and plumb into the stock lines, or drop the tank and run the Durango line I have properly. DOn't want to drop the tank by myself, haha!

Hooked the battery up, I have power everywhere I should, and the starter cranks. Just need to run the fuel and trans lines, have the radiator modified, and have the driveshafts done.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

jeepfan93

Post by jeepfan93 »

Just wanted to add my.02. I recently purchased a 87 with a 5.2 motor swap. The AC system is plumbed in looks factory and uses the factory overflow and washer tanks. Also the charcoal canister in it is from the orgiinal Wag I believe. I can pop my head in it this week and take a peek. Runs awesome BTW, love the startups and extra power. Can't feel it idle. I mean really, can;t feel it run.

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

jeepfan, I'm interested in seeing the AC lines. I'm guessing it's an older 5.2, perhaps with the screw on lines ont he 5.2 compressor. THat's definitely an option. Mine has a fancy al-you-minium bolt-on block that I'll have to contend with, unless I swap to an older compressor.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

Everything but the radiator is buttoned up in the engine bay. Finished the fuel system tonight. Tomorrow buy some tranny fluid ($80 worth...) and some fuel, then hopefully it fires up. :)

98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

War Wagon

Post by War Wagon »

Can't wait to see this run, I have a 5.2, trans, and transfer case from my daughter,s wrecked 95 ZJ. I have not used it because I was told that the wiring was a nightmare and it was hard to override the security system. I really would like to use this setup because I just had the trans rebuilt and had HD everything put in it plus the engine really ran good before the wreck.

Jim
The War Wagon - 78 Wagoneer, 6" BJ's no flex lift, 33's, 360/T400/QT, Aussie Locker
The War Truck - 79 J20 Flatbed
1979 J-10 360/t-18/D20
The War Buggy - 81 J10 Truggy
The Compost Heep - 82 Wagoneer Camo
The Warlock - 83 J10 Sport Side 360/T18/208
07 JK Rubicon - Wife's DD
09 JK Rubicon Unlimited Daugther's DD

04 F-350 CC SRW FX4 6.0 My DD and tow vehicle

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

The wiring is super simple actually. The PCM likely does has security, and you'll probably have to use a Dakota/Ram PCM instead.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

After building oil pressure while cranking, it fired right up. :D

However, the PCM that came with it (1997 ZJ 5.2/44RE) has the damn security on it. It starts, then shuts off after 3-5 seconds. However, runs real good with the extra 1997 Ram 5.9/46RE PCM that I had extra from my TJ swap. Long term I'm betting it'll get poor fuel mileage. The cam profiles are also different between the 5.2 and 5.9. But I'll at least be able to drive it until I figure out what I'm going to do with it.

Just need a radiator and fab up the driveshafts.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke

rainman

Post by rainman »

War Wagon wrote:Can't wait to see this run, I have a 5.2, trans, and transfer case from my daughter,s wrecked 95 ZJ. I have not used it because I was told that the wiring was a nightmare and it was hard to override the security system. I really would like to use this setup because I just had the trans rebuilt and had HD everything put in it plus the engine really ran good before the wreck.

Jim

If the engine can still run in the ZJ you can disable the security system. I think there is a thread at jeepforum or mallcrawlin. Otherwise you need to wire in the alarm module (behind the glove box in the zj) when you do the swap. Van ecm would also work (i have one for a back up)

The engine wiring is easier than it looks.
1987 Grand Wagoneer

Topic author
pcoplin

Post by pcoplin »

I think the disable only works when wired with the SKIM module, doesn't it? However, Sean at Hemifever tuning may be able to remove the SKIM with one of his SCT programmers, but you'd have to let him know the PCM part number.

I finished up the exhaust this evening, the ZJ 5.2 A-pipe mounts right in line with the stock exhaust, and is the same size. There's even a relief that fits perfect over the stock Waggy crossmember. I used a spare cat and mounted in before the stock muffler. Sweet. :)

Also, here's a quick picture of the WJ fuel filter/fuel pressure regulator. I'm using the stock 5/16 line up to the Jeep fuel line off the motor. I hope it works well enough. If not, I have to drop the tank and run a 3/8 line. However, not including the extra pump I had laying around, I have $70 in this fuel system, half of that is the WJ filter.

Dropped the radiator off at the shop to have modified. Showed him where and the angle I want the outlets, be around $100 and a couple days.

Debated on having the driveshafts done, decided to do it myself just to get it on the road. I'll have it balanced later.
98 TJ 5.9/46RE/D300
97 F250 Powerstroke