83 Cherokee resto-mod

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

wimsurf

Re: 83 Cherokee resto-mod

Post by wimsurf »

I kept the originals as well, thinking about taping the new pieces on, the originals are stapled

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Longjohn61 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:25 am I always thought there where only 3 bolts in the body. looked in my TSM but there is no good picture of that.
But do you have a picture of how the torsion rods are connected to the hinges?
I suppose that is also different then.
Very nice Cherokee by the way.
/Nils
Thanks Nils.

I looked at my 1982 TSM. It shows 4 bolts from hinge to tailgate (37). Can't tell from the TSM on hinge to body. My hinges are 5 to body as shown earlier.

No good pictures of the torsion rods. Thought I did but went back and looked and did a poor job so that will be fun.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

wimsurf wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:10 pm I kept the originals as well, thinking about taping the new pieces on, the originals are stapled Image

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Current plan is to staple back. Looked at heady duty electric stapler and heavy duty staples. Also thought about rivets.

Kind hate to put a holes in the sheet metal but it's probably gonna last and I'm clearly trying to keep everything factory original :D

Tape...hmmmm, perhaps industrial strength would work.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

I realize this is not where you are on this build but I did want to take a moment to point out something that I see often. The radiator is plumbed backwards. On an LS the hose with the thermostat is the suction side and needs to go to the bottom of the radiator. It will work like that until for some reason the radiator is not 100% full, then its instant over heat.

The other thing I don't see but may be there is the steam line connected to the radiator. That is another hot spot for overheating that often gets over looked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Yeller wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:53 pm I realize this is not where you are on this build but I did want to take a moment to point out something that I see often. The radiator is plumbed backwards. On an LS the hose with the thermostat is the suction side and needs to go to the bottom of the radiator. It will work like that until for some reason the radiator is not 100% full, then its instant over heat.

The other thing I don't see but may be there is the steam line connected to the radiator. That is another hot spot for overheating that often gets over looked.
This is a first full build for me so I always appreciate feedback at any point.

Actually just ordered my new Gen V radiator from BJs yesterday. With steam port option even though my engine is technically an LT and not totally clear it is needed. Figured I can just block it if not needed but as customer order part not so easy to add it later if it is.

Is the picture from my build thread? I doesn't look like it from the bakground but kind of does from the engine and core support color. Needless to say, when I bought the jeep, I had a master mechanic buddy take a look at it and take it for a drive. He pointed out plumbing on radiator as something that needed to be fixed. I drove the jeep home and then started disassembly so I put less than a couple hundred miles on it. The new engine will be done right. I'm enlisting help from experts to make sure fuel, and cooling systems are correct.

cheers
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

Yes sir, this was from this thread, bottom of page 4 in the discussion about the rubber edging of the core support and inner fenders.

I always try to tread lightly when I point out errors, I worry I sound pompous, and condescending, its the last thing I want to convey. I just want you to have the best operating vehicle possible when you are finished that you can enjoy and use.
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Yeller wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:30 pm Yes sir, this was from this thread, bottom of page 4 in the discussion about the rubber edging of the core support and inner fenders.

I always try to tread lightly when I point out errors, I worry I sound pompous, and condescending, its the last thing I want to convey. I just want you to have the best operating vehicle possible when you are finished that you can enjoy and use.
Wow, how pathetic is that! The picture was just from a post I did about an hour or so earlier and I asked if it was from my vehicle...only defense is it was a bit of a muted crop picture! I'm sticking with that :D

I know enough to know I don't know much so appreciate all of the feedback from folks here. I take it as people being helpful. I try and do the same. That's why many of us are here, to learn and ultimately end up with better projects as a result.

I'm still a newbie but know much more now than I ever though I'd need to knew when I joined. Much has come from reading other build thread, I started with Strode's build, and the from all the responses both here and in other forums. I also know I need to do more research when I do get feedback. It points me in the right direction most times but we should all do our own research. Mine has failed me at times but then I"m the one blame :)
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

akguy09 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:00 am I know that you haven't hung the front fenders yet, but have you located a source that makes the little rubber pieces that go into the inner fender gaps and those areas?
It's called masticated rubber. This is where I bought mine from https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.c ... materials/ . I kept the old pieces and then traced them out on the new sheets and cut the new pieces. I am sure there are other sources if you google masticated rubber.
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

runuover86gw wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:57 pm It's called masticated rubber. This is where I bought mine from https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.c ... materials/ . I kept the old pieces and then traced them out on the new sheets and cut the new pieces. I am sure there are other sources if you google masticated rubber.
great to know, thanks. I wasn't sure what to call it so was just going with industrial strength rubber in my searches.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

runuover86gw

Post by runuover86gw »

Laredo Matt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:25 pm
runuover86gw wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:57 pm It's called masticated rubber. This is where I bought mine from https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.c ... materials/ . I kept the old pieces and then traced them out on the new sheets and cut the new pieces. I am sure there are other sources if you google masticated rubber.
great to know, thanks. I wasn't sure what to call it so was just going with industrial strength rubber in my searches.
I am good for more than just electronics. Lol
Josh's Classic Custom Auto Electronics LLC, Owner/Founder
https://www.facebook.com/JoshsFSJRelayKits
1986 GW 360/NP229/TF727/Dana 44's
1986 Comanche
1979 Wagoneer Limited 360/Quadra-Trac/Turbo 400/Dana 44's

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Thanks Matt, the rubber pieces that you showed were the ones I was talking about. I guess I will just make my own as well. Kind of what I had thought I would have to do anyway.
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

hey @laredo Matt, how are you doing?
Looking forward to seeing your build mature further. I'm guessing that, like me, you are advancing on the many tiny things that make it a full jeep :)
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

@wimsurf ... spot on, working on the tiny things while resolving some bigger ones.

- Switched from electric to manual transfer case. Nothing but problems with tuner/builder for electronic t-case module. He basically did half the job and then disappeared for months with virtually no response :banghead: I had to move on. Found the right t-case (MP1225) and expecting a fully rebuilt unit with warranty here end of the coming week or week after.

- I'm ordering a new custom engine harness as well. Same tuner didn't do much of what he promised, no PWM wiring for fuel system, other bits and pieces missing, wouldn't respond etc. Easier to just start clean. Live and learn.

- I dropped the jeep off at a body shop last week to get it re-cleared. I removed quite a bit of clear wet sanding the orange peel out last fall. I never broke through to base coat but wanted to be sure I had good mill thickness to protect it. I'm clearly not skilled at spraying clear so off to the shop it went.

Work has been unusually busy as well and will be for the next few weeks. That and other projects have slowed me down. Once the jeep is back from clear and the t-case is in I should be able to start with wiring body harness, mechanical assembly etc.

I hope I'll be able to provide some interesting progress updates soon. We'll see. The tiny stuff is important and necessary but not as interesting for the thread.

cheers
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Haven't been able to do a lot the last few weeks but did pick the jeep up from the shop today. Had it re-cleared.

I also had them spray raptor undercoating on the roof. Decided I didn't want the glossy paint job I did. I plan to put a rack on it and use it so figured the raptor would be more durable for load/unloading over time...and they got the color match nearly perfect so really happy with that decision.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

Looking really good, Love the color. The engine looks close to the firewall, is that just from the angle of the picture?
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

Not just angle, it is close to the firewall. I have about a finger gap between top of heads and firewall on passenger side. A bit more on driver side because of the contour of the firewall.

I used the Novak FSJ Gen V mounts. They mount directly to the factory mount holes so it eliminated the guess work.
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

Looks like just enough, the guess work took me more than a day. A bit further back and the transfer case would not fit, a bit further forward and my radiator fan would hit.

My hemi is further forward than your engine, but; different dimensions

Do you have close up of what you did to your roof? I really like your color, curious how that looks now you made it rugged :)
1984 grand wagoneer
it's a project now:

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

By the time I get radiator and fan installed, it will be close but will work.

Here are a couple of the roof. I did the drip rails too since I plan to have roof rack mount to them and didn't want mounts to wear on paint if I take it on/off over time. If you're standing 4-5 feet most people probably wouldn't even notice the raptor. It's subtle and the color match is really close.

a little monochromatic right now but I'm trying to be patient about hanging trim, mirrors, door pulls etc. I'm giving the clear a little more time to dry before I start taping things up for install. It was baked in the booth so probably not necessary but I have plenty of other things to do first. Yesterday rebuilt the vent windows, seals, slides everything. Mocked up core support and inner fenders so I could determine where to place EMC, fuel control model, front powercell etc. still noodling.

Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E

akguy09

Post by akguy09 »

The roof looks great, that will really help deaden the sound along with all the other sound proofing you did
1979 Jeep J-10 304/T-18
2017 Jeep JK 2DR
2021 PowerWagon

Topic author
Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

That wasn't the primary motivation but was definitely a contributing factor. I have sprayed LIzard skin in under the dynamat so the combination of three will hopefully do it!
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
4L60E