79 cherokee ls swap

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
Tan79

79 cherokee ls swap

Post by Tan79 »

Well this is likely going to be a slow build, but I'm doing a 5.3l ls/4l60e/np241c swap. I bought a donor 2004 suburban I'm pulling the motor and tranny from. I'm currently sourcing parts based off of other builds from here and ifsja. I was planning on using the stock gas tank with a holley 12-130 retro fit in tank pump but because I have the j truck rear Dana 60 it looks like the rear driveline will hit the tank with the np241. I know everyone uses the 97 blazer tank but with a lifted truck it'll be the first thing hit in an accident and I'd likely damage it offroad. I've heard about suburban or bronco tanks, but not sure what years or if I'd have the same issues. Anyone have any other ideas or experiences with a tank that doesn't hang that low?
1979 cherokee- bjs 6" lift, 37" tires, rear Dana 60, HD 44 front, custom bumpers.
Soon to be lm7/4l60e/np241c with sye

Cheapthrills

Re: 79 cherokee ls swap

Post by Cheapthrills »

Do the rear tank bronco or burban what ever, build heavy skid plate for it and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5.3Waggy

Post by 5.3Waggy »

Tan 79, I just finished this same exact swap and it works great in my 84 GW. I ended up using a tank from a 1993 Chevy/GMC G20 Van (21 gallon). It had the factory drop in fuel pump which i swapped for a Walbro 255, i also relocated the factory jeep sending unit to fit in there. I used Novak's motor mounts and radiator. Factory LM7 Truck manifolds wouldnt work for me (interfered with trans shift linkage), instead i used factory 5th gen Camaro manifolds since they dump straight down and not on an angle.
For the NP241c i grabbed one out of a wrecking yard off a 1993 1500 Chevy (driver drop) used the SYE kit from JB Conversions and also used thier shifter. The front output on the NP241c had a weird flange that i wasn't sure i can adapt. So i swapped it to a 1310 CV style yoke, this required changing out the front output shaft to one from a Dodge's NP241 (light duty version) found on ebay. With the BJ's 6" lift 4.10 gears and 33" tires im getting 17 mpg on the highway.
P.S. the small threaded ports between the upper and lower radiator hose mounts aren't for trans cooler they are for steam port (LS requirment) or for a temp sensor. I learned the hard way and pumped a bunch of coolant into my trans. 👍🤥

Good luck with everything, feel free to PM me.

Topic author
Tan79

Post by Tan79 »

5.3 waggy, Thanks for the tank idea. I assume the g20 tank fit the factory driver side location?
1979 cherokee- bjs 6" lift, 37" tires, rear Dana 60, HD 44 front, custom bumpers.
Soon to be lm7/4l60e/np241c with sye

80Limited

Post by 80Limited »

Tan, I have the 20 gal. G20 tank in my wagoneer the only thing I changed on it is a bigger pump for the 5.3 and a bigger inlet for the fuel filler. Just need a couple custom mounts for hanging it.

5.3Waggy

Post by 5.3Waggy »

Yes, if your asking about hooking up to the filler neck. Had to buy several hoses and adapters. Go to fillernecksupply.com they have a great selection, all hose is very durable and fittings are stainless steel.