great grandads farm truck

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
keyappstate

Re: great grandads farm truck

Post by keyappstate »

this part of the job seems completely out of order, but my thought process was that ill be doing it anyways, and the drum was so degraded and frozen that it needed something done. so i ordered a disk brake kit from lugnut4x4 and started installing the passenger side rear. kit is straight forward. includes bracket, caliper, pads, hardware (yes and new lugs) and a wheel seal since youll need to remove the inner bearing. i do not believe these hubs have ever been opened up, my dad said he had never done it and he owned it from about 1992 until now, and i know my GGF never did because it only had about 30k miles on it when he died. original ebarings still were in ok shape but ill be replacing anyways. can someone verify the axle for me? from what ive rear i believe this is the Dana 60-3 model. the housing only says 60 on the webbing, ill assume the "4.10" on the metal tag is the gear ratio. by far the hardest part was separating the drum and hub. the lug studs did NOT want to come out. notice the deflection in the drum on the press.. had to apply some heat to persuade them. anyways, the project has officially kicked off i guess. jeep gurus please bear with me, the is the first jeep ive ever really worked on and it will be a huge learning curve for me. unfortunately this will all be coming off again soon, because ill be blasting and painting the axle housing, but to get it off the trailer and wheel it around i needed this tire to roll.

also, i called hell creek suspension and got a set of springs lined up. i just have to check which bushings i have first. have decided to blast and paint these wheels an almond color, and slap some interco 9.5x34x16.5 super swampers on. theyre made here in louisiana so i like to support them when i can.

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

have hit an odd snag in the rear axle. apparently, all jeeps are supposed to have a 7 stud flange on the rear axle housing. mine has 4. i wire wheeled the housing to look for a BOM and found nothing.. the disk brake kit doesnt fit. lugnut4x4 is baffled and says only dodge used 4 stud square pattern flanges but they were all 1/2' bolts and mine is 7/16' like a jeep. not really sure whats going on here. unless i can figure out exactly what axle variant this is i may have to just axle swap both front and rear. anyone have some knowledge to shed here?

Yeller

Post by Yeller »

How about using a weld on caliper bracket?
The bus I ride is so short it is a yellow Smart Car full of squirrels, monkeys and clowns.

1970 J2500 Resto Mod
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=21395

1974 Bronco “Broncno”
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threa ... st-3411909

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

Yeller wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:56 pm How about using a weld on caliper bracket?

ive decided to leave the axles alone for a while and focus on the chassis and suspension, and then body work. cab coming off soon, then engine and tranny off for rebuild. going to have a mobile blaster come do the chassis and running gear, he quoted me 400 bucks which is worth it to me.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

keyappstate wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:12 am have hit an odd snag in the rear axle. apparently, all jeeps are supposed to have a 7 stud flange on the rear axle housing. mine has 4. i wire wheeled the housing to look for a BOM and found nothing.. the disk brake kit doesnt fit. lugnut4x4 is baffled and says only dodge used 4 stud square pattern flanges but they were all 1/2' bolts and mine is 7/16' like a jeep. not really sure whats going on here. unless i can figure out exactly what axle variant this is i may have to just axle swap both front and rear. anyone have some knowledge to shed here?
I don't know all the details but the Dana 60 used up through 73 is set up different than the J20 Dana 60 starting in 74. The brakes are bigger on the newer ones. I am not surprised to see the vendor is apparently unaware of this.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

fulsizjeep wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:41 am
keyappstate wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:12 am have hit an odd snag in the rear axle. apparently, all jeeps are supposed to have a 7 stud flange on the rear axle housing. mine has 4. i wire wheeled the housing to look for a BOM and found nothing.. the disk brake kit doesnt fit. lugnut4x4 is baffled and says only dodge used 4 stud square pattern flanges but they were all 1/2' bolts and mine is 7/16' like a jeep. not really sure whats going on here. unless i can figure out exactly what axle variant this is i may have to just axle swap both front and rear. anyone have some knowledge to shed here?
I don't know all the details but the Dana 60 used up through 73 is set up different than the J20 Dana 60 starting in 74. The brakes are bigger on the newer ones. I am not surprised to see the vendor is apparently unaware of this.
this is what i discovered. several people were convinced i had an axle swap. this is not the case. another forum member sent me a picture of a sales brochure for a 71 j4800 with this dana 60-3 rear axle. right now i put it on the back burner, but i will be trying to find some newer 8 lug j20 axles to swap in, if i cant rebuild this one. drums arent easy to come by and mine were damaged removing the original lug studs.

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

I found a set of axles about 3 hours from me from a 1982 J20. He wants 600 bucks. An earlier post mentioned I could only use j20 axles up through 79, can someone give me the specifics as to why? Width? Offset? Thanks.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Yeah, the 80 and up have the front differential on the wrong side for your truck.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

fulsizjeep wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:51 pm Yeah, the 80 and up have the front differential on the wrong side for your truck.
Thanks. J trucks are pretty rare in my neck. When I saw a J20 part out I got excited. Glad I asked.

R3_Jeeps

Post by R3_Jeeps »

keyappstate wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:30 am
fulsizjeep wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 4:51 pm Yeah, the 80 and up have the front differential on the wrong side for your truck.
Thanks. J trucks are pretty rare in my neck. When I saw a J20 part out I got excited. Glad I asked.
Howdy neighbor, fellow Louisianan here. Where abouts in LA are you? If everything goes right, I will soon be the proud owner of a 73 J-4800. Planning on getting her running and eventually a pretty thorough refresh/restoration. Maybe we could get together one day and talk trucks.

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

R3_Jeeps wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Howdy neighbor, fellow Louisianan here. Where abouts in LA are you? If everything goes right, I will soon be the proud owner of a 73 J-4800. Planning on getting her running and eventually a pretty thorough refresh/restoration. Maybe we could get together one day and talk trucks.

currently in denham springs but im in the middle of a career change and moving. jeep work has been spotty but i did start tearing the front end apart. these old bolts have been... challenging. working on getting the entire front rad support out for pulling the engine easier.

R3_Jeeps

Post by R3_Jeeps »

keyappstate wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:46 am
R3_Jeeps wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:36 pm

currently in denham springs but im in the middle of a career change and moving. jeep work has been spotty but i did start tearing the front end apart. these old bolts have been... challenging. working on getting the entire front rad support out for pulling the engine easier.
You're right down the road from me. I currently live in Ponchatoula. Best of luck with the career change and move. You staying in Louisiana or moving out of state.

I hear ya about the old bolts - right now I'm trying to devise a way to submerge my entire jeep in penetrating oil for about a week before I try to take anything apart lol.

Topic author
keyappstate

Post by keyappstate »

2 years later, i accepted a new job and moved to arkansas and have moved into a new house, and this weekend i was able to go back to louisiana and get my truck. im picking right back where i left off. on the hunt for a set of J20 axles to swap under this thing. i have ordered a shop anbd should have it built by the end of the year which will make this alot more fun.

Harry Dawg

Post by Harry Dawg »

Glad to see the project is still alive!
1968 J3500 - 1985 CJ7 - 1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Liter Limited - 2006 Grand Cherokee Limited
Rhino USA Brand Success Manager
South East Offroad Activist