1982 J10 rebuild

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
wrang

1982 J10 rebuild

Post by wrang »

hello guys
finally got a chance to get my photos all in one place, found old ones and will be posting here regularly with updates and photos as i progress my 1982 j10 rebuild.

I bought this 1982 short wheel base J10 last spring, and never had a chance to do any thing with it. I knew the 401 (not original) needed to be rebuilt. I also ended up also buying a non-running 1982 J20 (401 again- not original) that has be sitting on a farm for a while.
after testing and pulling both 401's out, none runs, my plans changed.
I have a 2007/2008 GMC Sierra 3/4 ton with a strong and well maintained power train but it is plagued with rust. so the plan is to transplant everything out of the Sierra into the SWB J10. The J10 has dents and dings but minimal rust, the axles from the J20 looked appealing, so started tearing into the J trucks.

here's my plan:
1. Use J10 short wheel base frame, i just like the look of SWB trucks . reused the leaf springs as they don't look sagging.
2. Use the J20 axles (Dana 60 rear and 44 front)
3. The frame got cleaned up: first wet sandblasting - didn't work that great, then shifted to wire brushing etc... painted with Rustoleum rust reformer and then flat black enamel. - COMPLETED
4. Went through both axles, updated U joints and seals on 44. Previous owner must've rebuilt the D60- apart from wire brushing and paint, not much more was needed.
5. full brake system (new callipers/pads, shoes/rebuild kit, prop valve, hoses and lines)
6. since i had the dashboard out, I went and repaired the cracks etc...

next:
fuel system- will update with photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
wrang

Re: 1982 J10 rebuild

Post by wrang »

more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

If you copy the links for the images and paste them inside img tags, they will display without clicking on them.

The frame looks so much better now!
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

thank you for the tip Stuka

more progress
D 44 and D60 axles with new seals, u joints from J20 on the SWB J10 frame, new U bolts.
new brake lines, new brake cylinders, new proportioning valve, new calipers, drums/shoes/kit all in
engine mounts bolted in for now
Steering box from J20 swapped into J10
after so much research and measurements, going with 25 Gallon gas tank & sending unit from a 87 Suburban FI in the back. it fits without any viisble issues, should not hang too low as i the J10 came with a body lift and the height of this tank is less than 11". in tank pump on its way.

next: started tearing into the donor Sierra 3/4 ton

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

It has been a while. Between work, the summer, a parent's illness and then death, christmas, only now been able to post an update and go back and put few hours on the project.
6.0L Engine got cleaned up, few gaskets got replaced (RMS, Oil Pan, Tran-Adaptor/TC).
New sparks plugs/wires, filter...
Installed a 25G tank in the rear, new sending unit- all from LMS trucks.
Ended up using scrap metal to use as brackets to fasten straps to. they are bolted to the cross member and also welded(don't judge my welding skills, i literally just started welding).
used neoprene garage door bottom seal between the tank and the bottom straps
Fuel plumbing done.
Fuel sending unit came with 4 outlets and 3 wires. the 3 wires were:
Gray: connect to Gray fuel pump supply voltage at GM connector to GM fuel pump
Black: connects to black ground of same connector
Purple: Level and connects to purple - haven't tested this part yet-
The EVAP sensor connector is hanging loose for now
some gas and Engine starts (I had the 6.0 L ECU flashed while the truck was still drivable to disable VAS)

Next
1. tidy up fuel line and electrical connectors - order automotive water proof electrical connectors
2. secure gas tank a bit more than how it is sitting now. planing on welding something above the tank to prevent it from moving up and hitting the bottom of the box.
3. Align driveline and shorten read drive shaft
took measurements and rear drive shaft from the GM truck needs to be shortened to 38 1/2". the driveline of the 6.0/6l90 is longer than the 5.3/4l60e and the J10 is a SWB. Hope not too short of a driveshaft at 38 1/2". operating angles will be 2.4 at TC and 2.3 at pinion
front drive shaft is perfect fit, no need to change length ( haven't checked operating angle there yet- i hear it is important and is less forgiving and should aim for less than 2?? true??)
Ordered Yoke for the rear D60 and front D44 to accept the GM driveshafts with GM U-joints. contemplated conversion U-Joints, and although a cheaper easier option, i would rather to keep the OEM GM U-Joints, as the Dana side of the conversion U joint would be smaller and relatively weaker from what i read.
will keep updating here
some pics

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

more pics

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

Update

Finally got it put back together and driving it around the acreage, sounds awesome with lots of power.
Next: interior and body work (will have to wait till we move and settle at new house). so had to rush and button up the project just to move it, some of this may have to to be redone

1. Finished plumbing fuel line from the rear mounted gas tank. Returnless system, so just plugged the line between Purge solenoid valve and intake.

2. Installed headers. bought them off Amazon 242$ Canadian total. they were (1-5/8'' Stainless Steel Exhaust Headers Shorty Header Compatible with 91-04 GMC Sonoma Compatible with 82-90 GMC S15 Compatible with 82-04 Chevy S10). needed to modify driver side slightly to clear the Novak engine mount.

Engine intercooler lines interfered with headers, so did the delete.

Also needed new plug wires that would clear the headers. so used "JDMSPEED LSx LS1 LS2 LS3 LS6 LS7 High Heat Spark Plug Ignition Wires Set" and added Heat shield protectors.

3. Using my beginner's recently learnt welding skills, i managed to use stock J10 exhaust and welded few elbows etc... to reach final product as in photos.
Also had to cut into cross member and weld on another plate to move holes back and lower the trans mount by 1 inch to give me an operating angle within specs.

4. Installed BJ's Radiator with Trans cooler, perfect fit. Had to cut original GM hoses and make them shorter but all fit perfectly. used clutch fan and lots of clearance.

5. And had to do the hydroboost, bought one from BJ's. Will do rear disc conversion later. Got power steering hoses made at NAPA.

6. Since I am not good with electrical, i ordered a standalone harness and ECU from Wiring specialties, pricey but I am glad i did.. lots of pain trying to figure out what was causing the engine not to fire, and the stall and hesitation etc.... all sorted with the set up from Wiring specialties, amazing customer service.

7. New set of Rancho shocks are in.

8. the J10 has square tubing lift (from previous owner), so that helped with steering clearance.

9. Put doors and box back on, fenders, front clip etc...

9. Been driving it and testing it around the acreage, and i am so happy with how it drives, steers and stops.

I tried uploading photos but I can't rotate them for the right orientation, sorry.
IMG_3691.jpg
IMG_3689.jpg
IMG_3686.jpg
IMG_3668.jpg
IMG_3663.jpg
Last edited by wrang on Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

more pics
IMG_3846.jpg
IMG_3845.jpg
IMG_3843.jpg
IMG_3837.jpg
IMG_3836.jpg

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

IMG_3851.jpg
IMG_3850.jpg
IMG_3849.jpg
IMG_3848.jpg
IMG_3847.jpg

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

IMG_3873.jpg

devildog80

Post by devildog80 »

Nice progress.

Keep pics coming :)
'81 CJ5 Base, 258 I6, MC2100, T176 4 spd, 300 TC, D30 Front NT, 3.31, 2-Piece AMC 20 rear NT, 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
'84 Grand Wagoneer, 401 V8 (.030 over), MC2150 HA Comp, 727 auto, Selec-trac NP229, AMC 20 REAR - D44 FRONT - WT 3.31, 4" high arc spring lift
Rather be driving, than waiting to be modified

thej10guy

Post by thej10guy »

Anything about this lately?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1983 Jeep J10 Honcho SWB 5.3 4l60E NP241C viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22361
1979 Jeep J10 LWB (project/parts truck)
1989 GMC Jimmy (project)
Jeep Lover for life :fsj:

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Wow, two 401's! In all my years and 40 FSJs I have never come across an AMC 401. I think they are an Urban legend--like werewolves and Vampires. Ive seen the blurry photos of 401's many times but they are reminiscent of Big Foot videos.

Topic author
wrang

Post by wrang »

I am terrible. I did not put any updates on here. between winter here in AB Canada and work as well as some work type travel, not much time to work on it
no major new updates or major progress.
Ordered parts for rear disc conversion. That will be next.
will be mounting a brake pedal from an automatic (bought it off ebay)
will have to figure out an easy way to properly re-mount the gas pedal so it clears the tran tunnel