LS / full powertrain (engine/trans/TC) swap ito 1982 J10

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
wrang

LS / full powertrain (engine/trans/TC) swap ito 1982 J10

Post by wrang »

hello guys

I have a 1982 J10 with a decent body with minimal rust in the usual spots on the box. i am going to rebuild it and planning my swap. I already have a rusted out J20 (1982) in a bad shape as a donor for D60 and matching D44. both trucks have 401's but neither runs.

my plan is to swap in a full powertrain from my 2008 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 6.0l gas/ 6l90/MP1225.
worth mentioning is the J10 is Short wheel base.

reading through most of the swap posts, i didn't come across any who swapped in an MP1225 TC, this must be for a reason. I have no concerns re: reliability of this powertrain since i had this car for many years and is very well looked after. mp1225 already rebuilt etc....

is there anything obvious i might be missing why i shouldn't be using this combination (short wheel base J10 with a longer trans "6l90" and slip yoke TC)?
obviously i am concerned about the length of this powertrain vs short wheel base J10.

once started, i will be posting progress with photos. I already have few things off and take photos comparing few things between J10/J20 etc...

any advise will be appreciated.

thanks

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: LS / full powertrain (engine/trans/TC) swap ito 1982 J10

Post by Stuka »

Which version of the t-case do you have? If its a manual shift version, its less of an issue. The auto one wants traction control data from the PCM. The electronic shift version gets shifted via the PCM as I recall, and the PCM needs a signal from a switch. The manual shift version doesn't have either of these issues. And it still has the correct speedometer hookup in the tail housing.

It does also have a slip yoke rear output. Which, if this truck will only be used on the street, you should be fine. But they are not a good setup for offroad. Not sure if there is a slip yoke eliminator kit for it.

But sounds like a good swap setup. That engine and trans will make that a whole new truck.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
wrang

Re: LS / full powertrain (engine/trans/TC) swap ito 1982 J10

Post by wrang »

it is the manual shifter, so thats good news.
yup, rear drive shaft is a slip yoke, and can't find an SYE kit for it. will have to do for now , the truck will see some trails for sure but no plans to do any extreme off roading.

depending on clearances once i drop the Powertrain into the bay; my plan is to reuse the GMC drives shafts. I will be using a Pinion Yoke on the rear D60 that would accommodate the GMC drive shaft u joint and plan on reusing the GMC front drive shaft and use a conversion U joint at the front D44. will most likely have to shorten/stretch drive shafts.