The Rebuild of Oz

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
j20owner

Re: The Rebuild of Oz

Post by j20owner »

Needing some help. The PO cut the connectors for the ignition switch and turn signal switch when he sold the column out of Oz. I'm not worried about the column as I've got the one in the j20, but I need to replaced the plugs. I have the plugs for the ignition switch(don't want to cut them off the j20 harness) but am having a hard time deciphering the wiring diagrams on the 'oljeep' website. Oz is an '84. J20 is a '79. On the schematic for the 84, it shows a pink wire coming out of the switch on connector c135, which is the smaller of the two connectors. Here's the diagram:

However, on that diagram, it does not show a pink wire in the connector end view. I can't find where this wire goes on the connector. I have a pink wire in the dash harness, so I'm at a loss here.

Also, I've looked at the diagrams for the 83 and the 79 and this pink wire is not present. 86 and up this wire is, at least, not the same color. The diagrams for the 84-85 are small and very hard to read clearly. Any help is appreciated.

Did a little messing around of my own and figured out why I can't read that thing. It's real size is like 2"x3". Just too dang small.
Tatsadasayago wrote:And here i thought Capitalism was hitting the Shift Key...

bassntruck

Post by bassntruck »

I have been watching this thread. It is very bitter sweet. But I have something that might help you here.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Haha! Yeah, I did it right. Still couldn't get the windows to roll down, but I rewired it right. My ignition test switch is green, not sure if it's even very good, been in the bottom of my toolbox for about the last 8 years. They should be the same, but you never know.

Did you know there was over 15 gallons of fuel in the tank? Yeah, about dropped it on my head. :lol: I really need to go to my buddy's place and strip the j20 down and get this thing back together a little more. I was just about cussing you on Saturday while I was trying to figure out the wiring for the tailgate window. Still a little confused, but I know where 3 of the 4 little wires go. I know you told me they just need to be grounded, but I'm not sure on how to proceed. I'm trying to locate a dash mounted rear window switch. Would I just put the red and brown wires to the factory switch and make sure they go to ground?

Still trying to figure out what I'm going to do on rear springs and tire size. Toying with the idea of removing the body lift. ;)

bassntruck

Post by bassntruck »

Come to think of it, I think I filled it up right before I parked it.

The big red wire need to go to 12v+ the small wires run the relays and just need grounded. I honestly can not recall what the other wires do. LOL Maybe I ran another relay for the defroster? The problems you come across when you leave a project sit for years. I know it works. Just make sure you have a good body ground as I think I might have removed the cable when pulling the motor. I know I installed 2 rear windows. Can not recall why one one of them. The then replacement my buddy smashed as he had it up just enough to catch on the body when he closed it and POP it went. I was pissed as I just bought a new bar for the glass and epoxied it in. Come to think of it I think that was the orignal glass the POPed I had to pull it apart because of a rusted out support bar or what ever it is called. Heck I think I have another one here sitting in my garage new from BJs. All the seals were rotted as you saw I bought them all and replaced some.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Yeah, there's a third relay on the right side of the window motor mechanism in the tailgate. It has a little green wire running to it.

bassntruck

Post by bassntruck »

I bet that one is for the defrost.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

I went to the parts depot(buddy's place) and pulled the grille and some pieces off my j20. The front valance is trashed, though. Going to run my grille on the original valance. Also took some rear springs off of another 14 bolt and I think they'll work for this. Need to get some cutting discs for the grinder and do some frame cleaning. :D

bassntruck

Post by bassntruck »

Slacking on the updates.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Too damn hot. After working in it all day I just want to come home and relax in the A/C.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Well, robbed the column, ac box and dash cluster off the j20.
Wanted to run the j20 100mph speedo, but wanted to keep the current mileage on the wagoneer. I ended up just swapping the odometer out of the wagoneer speedo and putting in the j20 speedo. Hopefully this weekend I can pick up a Sunpro volt gauge and put it in the cluster and finish it up.

Still trying to get my rear springs and axle placement figured out, but with the heat haven't had much drive to do anything serious.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Oz got a face put back on.

I also bolted the springs to the 14 bolt and have it kind of sort of centered under the rear. I need to pick Tad's mind about some things on it, if he doesn't mind.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Ok, I'm going to PM Tad just to make sure he sees this as this question is kind of going out to him. I'm going to use 9 leaf GM 56" rear spring and will leave the front rear spring mount in same location front to back but plan on dropping it. My main question right now is has anyone used the lower hole in the front rear spring mount? This hole here:

I took some more measurements of the frame and the width of the frame at this front mount is 40 1/4" and just in front of the stock rear mounts is 38 1/4". I'm thinking of punching a hole in the frame parallel to the lower hole circled above and then making a new rear, rear spring mount. Here's a pretty much done drawing with Google sketchup of the mount I think I'm going to be making. Either out of 1/4" or 3/16" plate.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... d374d5604e

What does the hive mind think?

Not sure if you have to have a google account to see the link.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

You will need to weld some plate to the inner side as there are two elongated holes very close to where the other hole would go. Also be smart weld a large nut in place to make later removal easier. It also gets tight when the spring is drooped as it gets close to that bottom part (Seen from photos, not first hand).
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Tad
Vendor

Post by Tad »

Somewhere on the web is a spring chart in .png format listing lengths and center pin locations, I'm at work without much time to search, I think it's on the keylime site along with the flat top knuckle pic's.
http://littlekeylime.com/MrN/mrnimages/ ... ngs_sm.png
Found it.

From what I recall the GM 56's may move your axle forward a bit.
People have used that lower hole, like Stuka mentioned you will need to plate the inside of the frame as the slots don't perfectly match the location of the outer hole, welding a nut to the plate is a good plan. You'll need to remove part of the lower box to keep the spring from hitting at droop like Stuka mentioned also. IIRC you will also have to add a few washers on the outsde frame area to match the factory positioning, I would tack those in place also.

Since you are trying to keep the budget down you can remove the rear most mount from the frame and flip it over, it will have to come forward a bit to keep a good shackle angle.
This does not exactly match the front SOA for height but since you are playing with rear springs anyway here's what I would try.
Use the FSJ rear main leafs to keep the axle location correct and mix and match the rear spring packs to get the desired height. Don't weld anything solid until you have everything where you want it.
I have moved all my hangers around both front and rear for axle location, just use some really good tack welds, keep the rig partially supported except when testing with full weight and be really careful.
A collection of 1966 to 1986 parts.
Self Inflicted Flesh Wound
Caddy425/TH400/Atlas 4spd/14B/D60/locked front and rear/Hydroassist/39.5 Irocks
(Join date = Friday the 13th)

My Stuff:
http://www.ttsfabworks.com/
Tech Stuff:
IFSJA WMS Project

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

According to that chart, the front half of the spring is the same length as the jeep springs. It's 1" shorter on the rear section. Plate on the inside of the frame with a nut welded on it is planned, as well ass the washers welded together to properly space the spring. I'm going to make new mounts, not reuse the old ones.

I'll proceed as planned and keep it up to date.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Cut one rear, rear spring hanger off tonight. Only burned through one shoe lace.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Should have OZ's new heart by the holiday. :ympray:

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Which holiday? :P
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Haha, guess I should have specified. Labor day. Once I have custody, it'll get tore down, inspected, bearings rolled in, and put back together with new gaskets. Still need to find an intake, alt/ps bracket, a/c bracket, but I have pretty much everything else. Then I'll need a flex-plate, bolts, and spacer and a torque converter and then I can get the engine in it's new home. Baby steps.

Topic author
j20owner

Post by j20owner »

Got the cluster put together. Sunpro volt gauge put in, a little off center, but oh well. One more piece of the puzzle. Think I'll do some more grinding on the frame tomorrow morning.
Last edited by j20owner on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.