1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
mtripoli

1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Post by mtripoli »

Hello all! We are moving along with our 89 Wagoneer build and figured some folks may be interested in following along( and of course helping us when we are stuck... :D)
We picked up this grand wagoneer in late July of this year, it had been sitting for about 5-10 years, can't quit remembering will need to check the carfax again. When I originally purchased it for some reason my brain read the odometer as 134xxx miles, but in reality, she has 213xxx miles. Thankfully she only cost me $600 so I could live with that,

The truck has spent a majority of its life in Texas, the biggest rust issues are the front floor pans due to the windows being left open for some time and rain getting in. But besides that, it is a fairly clean/straight truck.

What we have done since July:
-Removed every part of the suspension and axels underneath the car and media blasted the frame.
-Applied POR-15 onto the frame AND a top coat of rubberized undercoating( the reason for this was the high gloss fo the POR-15 did not look great, a thin coat of rubberized undercoating was applied)
-Axles were cleaned up and painted
-Interior was stripped out
-Parts that we were keeping from the suspension and drive train were stripped to bare metal and repainted
-Brake lines were removed
-All body mounts were removed

What's to come in the next month:
-The body is going to be professionally media blasted down to bare metal and then sprayed with primer(First Week of January)
-Floor pans will be replaced and any other bodywork and rust repair will be done in january
-The suspension will be put back together, all new hardware, ball joints, parts etc. where needed. (all new parts are currently sitting in the garage
-2.5 inch lift kit will be placed
-Put in the new body mounts (need help trackign down the bolts needed and a solution to the caged nut since we sliced and diced that off)
-Since the engine has 213xxx miles on it(she runs great) we still want to do a refresh. This will either be a rebuild or purchase a remanufactured engine online from ATK.
-Paint
-New wood grain and trim
-All new interior

Topic author
mtripoli

Re: 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Post by mtripoli »

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mtripoli on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Frame before:Image
Frame after por-15
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mtripoli on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Still figuring out how to post photos here, quality when I reduce the size is not great

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Some photos of the drive shaft adn other suspension parts before cleaning them up and prepping for paint

Last edited by mtripoli on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Last edited by mtripoli on Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

will e

Post by will e »

When you said '$600' I thought "Oh no". But yeah after looking at the pic my opinion is it's in pretty good shape and that's a good deal.

What are your plans? Restore to 'original'? Do some modern mods? I don't get a 'set it up and wheel it' vibe from your posts, and that's okay too!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

will e wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:30 pm When you said '$600' I thought "Oh no". But yeah after looking at the pic my opinion is it's in pretty good shape and that's a good deal.

What are your plans? Restore to 'original'? Do some modern mods? I don't get a 'set it up and wheel it' vibe from your posts, and that's okay too!
We lucked out for sure. No major issues yet, everything that we’ve come across is fixable.

Our plan is to replace everything we can while we have it completely torn apart, and bring it back to original’ish. We have the 2.5 inch lift, will go bigger tires, thinking about painting it blue instead of the gray/silver it was originally and the interior will be custom, thinking a brown leather instead of the burgundy. You are correct, this car will mostly be taking on the streets of Austin, load her up for some camping trips but that is about it.

Are the rest of the photos i posted visible? (the non imgur photos)

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Parts post clean up and paint:

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Waiting to be media blasted- still need to remove all fo the trim and glass.

will e

Post by will e »

Pics are showing up
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

ImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by mtripoli on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
mtripoli

Post by mtripoli »

Car was professionally sand blasted and then sprayed with epoxy primer to prevent flash rusting. Body work and dropping the engine is up next....

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Man! Your making good progress. I love how your working on the trailer. When I was salvaging FSJs I did that to pull the axles and then take it to the Scrappers on the trailer/jack stands. However, once I got a Forklift I didnt have to do that to keep it on the trailer

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Its certainly coming along!

Was that one front fender just rusted through? It almost looks like a bird shot pattern.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Lti57

Post by Lti57 »

Following your progress
Good work
Directly above the center of the Earth 🌍
2017 Chevy Silverado DD
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1987 BMW E30 325i convertible
1981 Jeep Wagoneer. 360 ,TF727 , NP208