Tremors Tribute Truck: T3

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

I’m not sure what got in to me, but it all started with a local member texting me about their 1973 short bed J2000. I was a bit reluctant (seriously).

Next thing I know, he offers to deliver, and, well...

While I’ve been going through it, cleaning, assessing, selling of a few unnecessary parts that came with it, it will get set aside while I slowly accrue the parts for the tribute to the truck that started my strange induction to this awesome cult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: Tremors Tribute Truck: T3

Post by Stuka »

I LOVE the Tremors 1 J-Truck. Seriously my favorite movie truck of all time. An interesting note is as I recall,at least three Tremors movies have had a J-Truck or AM General (The one in Mexico had a Deuce and a Half). And one had an M715.

And there was three different trucks used. Kind of easy to tell as the tires and wheels change.

But yeah, small window thrift side, one of my dream trucks.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Chubbinius

Post by Chubbinius »

Too cool! My son and I just watched the Tremors marathon on TV a few weeks when it was on. He liked Fred Ward's truck!
1970 1414X Wagoneer "The Pig"
-Custom Special
-Dauntless 350 V8
-D27 front/D44 rear
2006 XK (65th Ann Edition)-DD

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Stuka wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm I LOVE the Tremors 1 J-Truck. Seriously my favorite movie truck of all time. An interesting note is as I recall,at least three Tremors movies have had a J-Truck or AM General (The one in Mexico had a Deuce and a Half). And one had an M715.

And there was three different trucks used. Kind of easy to tell as the tires and wheels change.

That's the truck that started it all for me. I had the chance (30 years ago) to trade my 73 bull nosed commando for a 65 Thriftside, but did not. I've been kicking myself ever since. I still look for the truck scooting around, but only saw it once after I passed on it.

I've been researching old threads and online sources and there appears to a baby blue truck and a primer gray stepside. so I have some decisions to make!
Chubbinius wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:57 pm Too cool! My son and I just watched the Tremors marathon on TV a few weeks when it was on. He liked Fred Ward's truck!
I watch it every time it comes on; USA Network will occasionally have a marathon on the weekends- it never gets old!

IIRC, the 1st movie kept two on hand, one to rob parts off of when the other one broke down on set... hahaha, classic jeep stuff! It was filmed in China Lake, CA. both trucks were sold off after filming. They regretted the decision after the movie was a mild success.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

66stepside wrote:
Stuka wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:41 pm I LOVE the Tremors 1 J-Truck. Seriously my favorite movie truck of all time. An interesting note is as I recall,at least three Tremors movies have had a J-Truck or AM General (The one in Mexico had a Deuce and a Half). And one had an M715.

That's the truck that started it all for me. I had the chance (30 years ago) to trade my 73 bull nosed commando for a 65 Thriftside, but did not. I've been kicking myself ever since. I still look for the truck scooting around, but only saw it once after I passed on it.

I've been researching old threads and online sources and there appears to a baby blue truck and a primer gray stepside. so I have some decisions to make!
Chubbinius wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:57 pm Too cool! My son and I just watched the Tremors marathon on TV a few weeks when it was on. He liked Fred Ward's truck!
I watch it every time it comes on; USA Network will occasionally have a marathon on the weekends- it never gets old!

IIRC, the 1st movie kept two on hand, one to rob parts off of when the other one broke down on set... hahaha, classic jeep stuff! It was filmed in China Lake, CA. both trucks were sold off after filming. They regretted the decision after the movie was a mild success.
Yes, that’s what I heard as well. Based on watching the movies last night, they drove two trucks in the first movie, one of which appeared to have the wide window and the fabricated a faux panel to simulate the small window cab. Of the two trucks used in the first movie, one appeared to an a manual with a floor shift, the other appeared to be an automatic column shift (or possible a 3 on the tree set up) as in one scene Kevin Bacon’s character shifts at the column, while else where he shifts from the floor.

The main truck used in the first movie appears to be a 62-63 manual small windowed J200 as the floor shifter for the 4wd is the old school lever on the driver side as Kevin puts it into 4wd when he is “hung up” and it ends up the Graboid had grabbed on to the rear axle.

The truck in the second movie also had a faux panel on it to simulate the narrow rear window.

One of the trucks was missing the lower portion of the passenger side front fender.

I couldn’t find too many clean pics of the dash, especially the glovebox area, and the passenger side.

Where the heck did they source 4 Thriftsides!?! Why hasn’t at least one popped up for sale after all these years!?

I have some mild dilemmas: which version of the truck to try to replicate? Do I attempt to recreate an authentic replica, or create a “modern” spin on one of the trucks?

I’ve got time to figure it out, and I’m open to suggestions/ideas from the group, too.

Here are pics from the shows:
Wood paneling for the driver side door- the dash pad holes had grommets placed in them. Single circular instrument cluster- speedo only?
It looks like the truck in the second show had blocks on the front for it’s lift.
Blue interior, Mexican Blanket to cover the bench seat. But note the faux rear panel to hide the larger cab window (no legit support brackets near the window side?).
This one is a real small windowed truck.
Flat baby blue exterior with primer grey sections.
Black driver’s side door panel, or just bad lighting?
Symmetrical primer spots on front clip.
31” tire on black spoke rims? What type of tire? 3” lift?
He skidded to a stop.
Some shots show wipers, rear view mirror and green dice hanging off the minor, some shots show the truck without those items.
Shackle reverse, blocks, or lifted with springs? That tread!
Homemade tailgate of angle iron and wood.

Lol, I’ve reached my cap of pic uploads for the month! Classic.

shortbus4x4

Post by shortbus4x4 »

I loved the truck on Tremors. It's sooo cool. Can hardly wait to see your build.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

66stepside wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:55 am The main truck used in the first movie appears to be a 62-63 manual small windowed J200 as the floor shifter for the 4wd is the old school lever on the driver side as Kevin puts it into 4wd when he is “hung up” and it ends up the Graboid had grabbed on to the rear axle.

The truck in the second movie also had a faux panel on it to simulate the narrow rear window.

One of the trucks was missing the lower portion of the passenger side front fender.

I couldn’t find too many clean pics of the dash, especially the glovebox area, and the passenger side.

Where the heck did they source 4 Thriftsides!?! Why hasn’t at least one popped up for sale after all these years!?

I have some mild dilemmas: which version of the truck to try to replicate? Do I attempt to recreate an authentic replica, or create a “modern” spin on one of the trucks?

I’ve got time to figure it out, and I’m open to suggestions/ideas from the group, too.
Its quite possible they build a thriftside for a non-thrift side truck. Its a pretty simple design to make it 'look' correct for a movie truck. Because that is a rare bed setup for sure.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

shortbus4x4 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:47 pm I loved the truck on Tremors. It's sooo cool. Can hardly wait to see your build.
Thanks! I've amassed a short bed stepside, fenders, skirts and tailgate, front fascia for the rhino grill, rhino grill, and factory rims.

I'd post up pics, but that will have to wait until I can post up more pics as I have reached my monthly limit. :(

Stuka wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:32 pmIts quite possible they build a thriftside for a non-thrift side truck. Its a pretty simple design to make it 'look' correct for a movie truck. Because that is a rare bed setup for sure.
That's probably what they did- good point.

There used to be a website dedicated to the Tremor's truck and facts about it, but it must no longer be around.

EDIT: One version of the truck shows the "Den Hunt" wrap around bumper (a few more bucks as an 'add on'), another truck shows the standard Willy's style wrap around bumper.

Edit:

Sierra Blue appears to be the stock color of the 1963 j200 Thriftside mostly used in the 1st movie.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

Lol, I upgraded my account for the .99 a month. I’m sure it will increase in price, but I’m on vacation and I’m trying to get caught up with the projects as I have a long list of stuff to do.

Here are the rest of the pics I took for the tribute:

This shows one of the trucks with black bezels around the headlights, painted front bumper.
Just a badass shot from the second movie.
This shows what appears to be a faux small window in the second movie. Also the gun rack is new. I thought hanging the coat on it was pretty clever.
Another badass shot.
Combo of blue and grey.
A cool action shot.
More grey and blue.
Second movie showing the faux wood paneling on the exterior to make it a small windowed cab.
Beefy tires on black spoke rims: 1st movie used back stock rims.
Wood and angle iron tailgate.
No lenses on turn signals, primer grey headlight bezels, no blocks on the front axles for the lift?
Grey and blue, one of two door graphics, standard after market mirrors.
Clean shot of tailgate- non-Diamond plate wrap around bumper (or just poor resolution from a older movie?).Image
Faux small window, paneling on back of door, and above the door, white, not blue, even the gaskets are white.
Enough said on the faux small window.
Da bed.
Da clip. I thought it was funny that all the spare parts came in white to match the current color of the truck.

She’s tarped and out of the way. With so many variations of the truck between just the first two movies, I have some decisions to make.

It needs to be a small windowed truck for sure, BUT I’m not going to do wood paneling to create the faux small window vibe.

bigun

Post by bigun »

I would just try for the essence of the truck without coping anyone of it's many versions

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

bigun wrote:I would just try for the essence of the truck without coping anyone of it's many versions
Yeah, I agree.

As of now:
-short bed Thriftside
- wrap around rear bumper
- factory 1963 blue exterior
- dash and interior; maybe and amber poly dash, or blue, or white?
- keep existing shackle reverse on the rear springs.
-lifted in front since she’s sitting on a factory spring over now (the truck came with 3” lifted springs for the front, but one bad bushing).
- I have the complete T18/Dana 20 combo to throw at her, retain the 360.
- black factory 15” rims with hubcaps
- painted grill and front bumper (factory white.

I’ve been toying with the guiding question “what would this truck have looked like when it came from the factory, but 10-20 years afterwards after regular, daily useage?”

Kinda like right before Earl picked it up and used it for another 10 years. T3 Build: A prequel?!

Edit: 1/16/2020

T18 Dana 20 combo w dash mounted clutch pedal assembly is added to the parts horde:

Edit:

What have I done?!?

MadMax78

Post by MadMax78 »

Any updates on the build?
MadMax78

78 Cherokee S, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, TAD's SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake, MSD Coil & Ignition

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

MadMax78 wrote:Any updates on the build?
Thanks for asking!

I’ve been squirreling away parts, basic tear down, nothing too fancy and inspiring- or worth the effort to update.

However, I did discover the roof line of the cab is shot. I can put my finger through 4-6 spots. So a new cab might be in order.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

I love these ol trucks, damn nice rigs!! "cuse my french...

Anyhow, I love the one when ol Burt...admitted, he ran out of ammo...LMAO!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »

HowardT64 wrote:I love these ol trucks, damn nice rigs!! "cuse my french...

Anyhow, I love the one when ol Burt...admitted, he ran out of ammo...LMAO!!!
Haha, I love em, too. There are quite a classic lines in the Temors Movies for sure.

Topic author
66stepside

Post by 66stepside »