1979 Cherokee Chief Restoration

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
JuniorFab

Re: 1979 Cherokee Chief Restoration

Post by JuniorFab »

freehold wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:18 pm Oh man, what a score! And you have the textbook definition of a perfect patina. Congrats!
Thanks. Hard to admit this here of all places, but I'm not really an FSJ guy. I just stumbled onto this beauty and got started. It sure turns heads now that I am driving it around. I have a friend living in PA that says these rigs are super popular in his area and on the East Coast.

Going to do the interior in a neutral tan color and ask my paint/body guy how we can best protect the finish as it sits today. Likely, just leaving it alone maybe the best thing to do. Every cleared patina vehicle I have seen is shiny and not certain that would look very good.

Junior
Junior

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

That look's not my thing but seems to me you could apply a satin or flat clear rather than gloss. How they make it stick I don't know. I suppose a scuff with 600 would do it, maybe courser. 600 Might make it too glossy but maybe the top coat would get rid of it. Too course and you'd see the sanding marks. Maybe find an old hood or door to play with.

At least it would look better than the phony baloney rat rod type look.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

fulsizjeep

Post by fulsizjeep »

Very impressive thread! Congrats on a great low mileage find. :-bd :fsj:

I would like to add that you should probably remove the fan from the heater box and clean the fan and box out. It is a good place for rodents and insects to build nests. It also collects the crud the gets through the vent where the wipers attach. That cover can also be easily removed to get access to the vent on the top side. The vent cover is not screened and it's amazing what can collect inside the vent system.
Flint Boardman
88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s
https://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac

SJTD

Post by SJTD »

Good point. The fresh air vents should be removed and the duct cleaned out too. That's the bottom of the fresh air system.
Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Talked to my guy in Mexico last weekend. Made plans to get this rig to Mexicali for upholstery, polish all the trim and get the underside painted fresh. Back with more images soon!
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

SJTD wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:32 pm Good point. The fresh air vents should be removed and the duct cleaned out too. That's the bottom of the fresh air system.
Appreciate the advice everyone. I'll open it up this weekend. A couple of the gauges are not working. My kid is working that issue now. When we are done, everything will work. Everything.

Junior
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The floors have a bit of surface rust, not bad by any stretch, but just had to treat the floors before carpet. Here is a before shot and the product I used. POR-15 is Expensive!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The first step. Acid wash to burn away existing rust I guess.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The process revealed a couple bad spots, pin holes. The floor is two layers of course, this rust damage is nothing serious at all. Super stoked. Here is the bad spot.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Images of the floor when the POR-15 process was complete. BTW, been driving the 79 Chief daily to work, rides amazing. All the gauges work. Everything works at this point except the heater fan for some reason. If it's like everything else, just a corroded electrical connection.
Junior

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

Little holes like you had-I put a piece of tape over the hole from underneath and paint over a small piece of fiberglass matt. Or paint over it with Bed Liner.

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

rocklaurence wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:43 am Little holes like you had-I put a piece of tape over the hole from underneath and paint over a small piece of fiberglass matt. Or paint over it with Bed Liner.
Good idea but those holes are tiny, and the floor has another layer of sheet metal underneath.

Any idea where I can find replacement shifter boots for this thing? Everything soft got ruined by the heat. I have them but they are super dry and rotted/split.

Thanks!
Junior

rocklaurence
Vendor

Post by rocklaurence »

I may have seen the boots on Ebay. I know they have the T177/NP208..

Laredo Matt

Post by Laredo Matt »

JuniorFab wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:12 am The Chief rides like a dream. 41 years old and it is smooth as ever, doesn't pull or anything. Everything works. Upholstery is all it needs now. Can't believe this vehicle is 41 years old and less than 13,000 original miles.
I'm jealous. What a find that was. If I could have found something like that I wouldn't have had to do all the body work and prep I did on mine. The Patina is perfect.

Curious, did you decide if you'll do a flat clear to protect it or just leave it as is and enjoy the drive?
Matt
83 Cherokee Laredo WT
L8T 6.6L, 6L90
GEN III LS Swap (LM7 block)
4L60E

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Just enjoying the ride. I am concerned that the clear would make it too shiny.

I just listed it for sale, figured let the new owner decide what to do.

Junior

Curious, did you decide if you'll do a flat clear to protect it or just leave it as is and enjoy the drive?
[/quote]
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Check these out. OEM center caps. They cleaned up pretty good.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Worked on the Roof Rack ahead of getting her to upholstery.

This is what it looked like before I removed the trim, rubbed down the surface with a light coat of boiled linseed oil, replaced all the gaskets, polished the trim and re-installed everything.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

Another peek after I removed the trim.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The surface after rubbing it down with a light coat of BLO.
Junior

Topic author
JuniorFab

Post by JuniorFab »

The parts. Amazing you can get most anything for these Cherokee's 43 years after it was manufactured.
Junior