Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

ShawnQ

Re: Bill's Build (with comments, questions, and Conundrums)

Post by ShawnQ »

Msh,

Bill and I are both using gen IV engines/ecm. They have different connectors and pinout. Id call speedhut and make sure the gauges work with your harness/ECM
1988 Grand Wagoneer, , 6" on 33x12.5 BFG M/Ts & Mickey Thompson Classic wheels
Currently undergoing a 5.3/6L80E/NP241C swap!
You can view my Build/Work In Progress thread by clicking HERE!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Soon I shall be out cleaning out the garage and getting back on my project. There will be a slight delay, enforced by mother nature however.

These little fellows are currently residing in the air intake tube, just behind the grill.

Atla

Post by Atla »

LOL.

That's awesome!

Count yourself lucky, back in 2001 my dad bought one of the final Jeep Cherokee XJs and pampered it by parking it a lot and driving it rarely. Not even six months afterwards it caught on fire after being parked while they got some chinese food. Turned out a squirrel built a nest on top of the engine.

By the time the fire dept finished destroying the front end to get the hood open and the effects of the fire, the vehicle was a total loss.

So at least you noticed :)
~Atla. (I'm just here for the pictures)
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

My Build Thread - http://fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2722

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

We have Jeepness!!

No pics yet, but much has been accomplished; mostly wiring.

Checked off the wiring punch-list are:

-Headlight sockets
-Headlight relays
-Fog lights
-Fog light relays
-Driving light relays
-Starter
-Battery cables
-Oil pressure sending unit
-Coolant temperature sending unit
-Under-hood lamps
-Cornering lights
-Cooling fan module
-Cooling fan
-And much, much more!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

We have Jeepage!

When we last saw this insane project, there were birds living in the air intake duct. These, I am happy to say, have gone on to become productive members of society. Consequently, the air intake duct has been blocked off with a screen. The birds, Mr. and Mrs. Casawren, did, I'm afraid, file a lawsuit in federal court, alleging that the act of blocking such a prime piece of nest building real-estate was discriminatory and speciesist. Fortunately, Judge Earnest P. Squirrel dismissed the case. Citing Titmouse vs Grizzly Adams, Judge Squirrel reiterated the earlier court's ruling that wildlife does not have the right of Eminent Domain on an unnatural object such as an automobile when said object is surrounded by the natural and proper objects in which the species would normally find its abode. Mr. John Skunk, the attorney for the Casawrens, said the ruling was "a travesty of justice," but that his clients had no intention of appealing.

Many hours of soldering have been accomplished under the hood. At this point, 99% of all the under hood wiring has been accomplished.

So, under the hood looks like this:

The transmission cooler lines have been run. As you may recall, I'm not running a cooler in the radiator. Because of this, I needed to run a thermostat to ensure the transmission fluid comes up to temperature in the winter.

I also wanted to run a separate fan on the transmission cooler, and a temperature gauge to monitor the fluid temperature. To this end I cut a block of aluminum about 5 inches long, drilled a passageway through it, then drilled two holes down into it, one for the fan thermostatic switch, the other for the gauge's sending unit.

In this picture, you can see the thermostat block (the large aluminum block with the round cap), and my aluminum block (for the sending unit and the thermostatic switch).

From underneath, you can see how everything was run and bracketed to clear the exhaust. I also wrapped it all in a heat sleeve to ensure the exhaust heat wouldn't damage the hose. Also note, the hose used is transmission cooler hose, not fuel line! Fuel line will last six months to a year before it starts to leak like a sieve. Cooler line will last for years.

And the cat sleeps...

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

So now we move to the inside!

I pulled a huge section of harness out from where it ran across the driver's side of the dash, and split it open. I then began to identify the wires that belonged to the cluster, those that belonged to the A/C-heat, and those that belonged to other systems. The ones that I did not need, and which I could pull through and discard, I did.

You can see the big harness running across the top of the steering column in this photo.

Those which I did not need, but which ran out to under the hood, I marked as such, in case I might need them.

Those which I did not need, but which I could not extricate from the harness, were cut back to a reasonable position, bent over on themselves, and a length of heatshrink was shrunk over the end, just in case they might be live.

This is what I started with.

When I was done, this is what lay on the ground, just outside the driver's door.

And this is what I had when I was done.

And before you think the after photo doesn't look all that much different from the before, note how many little green tags there are on the wires now. Everything is nice and tagged.

For proof, this is what it looks like now. Note how that big, fat harness it gone.

Now that I can work with!

And so I am about to go out and get to work. Before I do, there is, of course, the obligatory critter photo. This little guy (and I do mean little... about 1/2 inch long!) was hanging out on my BMW. He didn't seem inclined to fix it for me though.

I guess I forgot to mention the BMW fiasco. Last Saturday I put a new A/C condenser in it. Yes, air conditioning!

Until Sunday.

Sunday, on the way to church, the front crank hub went out on the thing.

I don't know for sure, but this probably cracked the front timing cover.

In other words, it's a minor repair, but one that will require an extraordinary amount of work and money. And time, too. The parts will take a few weeks to gather.

I'm thinking I'll probably part the thing out. Besides, don't you think BMW M5 seats would just rock in a Jeep? :D

And as for the engine, I think I'll pull that and the transmission, and put them aside. They just seem like the perfect swap into a 240/260/280z. :shock:

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

And the Jeep goes on...

The last couple of days have been spent with wiring and wiring related items.

The first thing I did was install an accessory fuse panel for items that will be available when the key is in the "on" or "accessory" positions.

The reason I have it as a separate fuse panel is that it gets its power from a high amp relay. The relay trigger runs through a switch located on the center stack. In the "normal" position, the accessories work with the ignition switch as with any vehicle. In the "on" position, the accessories are available without the key being in the ignition.

As things have been coming together under the dash, I have been considering how I will run the ducting. Today I constructed a manifold for the defroster ducts. It's made from some exhaust tubing and metal stock, a bit overkill, but it will definitely serve the purpose! I coated it in Rustoleum rubber sealer to keep it from easily sweating with the A/C running.

I know it looks a mess now, but the wiring will be made neat before it's buttoned up.

I started wiring the radio, getting the hot wire, the switched wire, and the ground (both to the plug, and to the chassis) done before I had to quit.

No recent critter pics, so I'll leave you with a pic of a pair Dung Beetles. We saw these in Botany Bay Plantation, on Edisto Island, South Carolina.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Wiring progresses...

Got the vacuum lines to the A/C-Heat controls figured out, and wired up the power to the system. All fan speeds work as they should, and the various doors all move in proper relation to the mode selected on the controls.

Also got many of the various switches hooked up. Found I need a double pole, double throw, momentary switch for the rear defroster. Did some research and ordered that.

I wired up the rear window switch. The switch on the center stack (pictured) will work with the key on or off, and triggers relays at the back of the vehicle.

Like so many others have found, my rear key switch is DOA. I decided to use a toggle switch mounted on the body, just to the left of the rear window. The only problem was, how do I make it so someone cannot just come along and roll my rear window down? My first solution was to have it only work with the ignition key in the "on" position, but I felt that would quickly become a real pain. So I came up with a switch that will turn the relays on only when the driver's door lock is in the unlocked position.

Here's the switch. It's part of a flip-floping switch that I unbolted from its solenoid. I made an extended arm from an old A/C-Heat control lever, and attached it to the unit.

Then I made a bracket to mount the assembly on the door, and used a couple hose clamps mounted on the lock rod to act on the lever.

Works every time!

And for the critter shot; these are (most likely) the Blue Mud Dauber. Apparently, these little guys hunt down spiders to stung and lay their eggs on. From what I have read, they have a penchant for the Black Widow, though I cannot say if such is really the case.

Just what they are doing on my little side deck I have no idea. I don't know if they're competing for spiders, doing some sort of mating ritual, or just helping themselves to whatever mold or fungus is growing on the wood.

Whatever they're doing, they sure have a cool looking paint job! :D

jaber
Vendor

Post by jaber »

Your door lock switch idea is great. :-bd

Around here we have the same bugs, with red highlights, are 3 times bigger, and hunt tarantulas. Its real wild to stumble onto one trying to drag a carcass away... :shock:
Jeff

'46 cj3a
'51 Willys p/u
'51 Willys Parkway Conversion
'74 CJ5
'75 J-20 Wrecker
'75 J-20 Cummins service truck
'77 J-10 p/u
'79 Cherokee
'88 Grand Wagoneer
http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh14/jeffaber/

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Well, between a 4-day migraine and loosing the A/C part I promised someone, I've actually gotten a bit of work done. Not a lot, mind you, but some!

Mostly, I've been wiring. Obviously, this means I don't have a lot of pictures to show, because cutting, soldering, and putting heat shrink on wires can't really be seen. But there is one place I can show where progress has been made.

Here is the back of the instrument cluster! I used some old connectors I had laying around to make it so the whole thing can be disconnected as a unit.

There has been a lot of "tidying up" of the wires where they run behind the center stack, and some rerouting as well. While doing all this, I was visited by this little guy.

I don't know what he was, but although he is colored to look like a bee, he was not. He tried to feed from the knobs on the CB (who knew they were nutritious?), then fleww away. One cool thing I noticed, but couldn't get a good picture of, was that he folded his legs straight up when flying. It reminded me of some sort of space ship!

That's all for today...

Atla

Post by Atla »

ProTouring442 wrote: Here is the back of the instrument cluster! I used some old connectors I had laying around to make it so the whole thing can be disconnected as a unit.

There has been a lot of "tidying up" of the wires where they run behind the center stack, and some rerouting as well.

That's a great idea, looks very nicely done.
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

No pics, but...

Fire in the hole!

It runs! Idles smooth. Exhaust sounds nice! Transmission goes into Drive and Reverse. WooHoo! :D

Still a bit to do though. Just got my A/C fittings in today, so tomorrow I'll be plumbing that. Should have pics again soon.

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Not a lot to show for it, but there has been some serious work going on.

Made the distribution duct for the HVAC.

As you can see, it's becoming a wee-bit tight in the dash!

But it's hung, and the ducts are run.

Installed the gauge panel (hopefully for the last time!). All the gauges work. You can even pull and clear codes with the speedometer!

Modified the overhead console. The speakers are for the CB and scanner. The red lights are my interior lights. Red light doesn't hurt your night vision as much as white.

A couple weeks ago, we picked up a "new" (to us) car for my wife. It's a 1993 300ZX. The thing is nearly perfect! Only 75K on the odometer, and it looks like a 3 year old trade in instead of a 21 year old car.

Had the major service done on it this last week, so it should be good to go. I have a head unit with built in navigation sitting in my living room, just waiting to be installed. Sometime this fall/winter it will get remote start (my wife has MS, and getting into a hot car really sucks the energy out of her).

Today I went for a ride in it--tops off. Found a sweet spot and snapped a few photos of it.

And last, but not least, the critter shot! This cool little guy was flying around while I was working... kind of looks like a painting on velvet, doesn't it?

There you go! As they say, stay tuned!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Not a lot to show, but there has been Jeepage!

While I think I've taken it apart and reassembled it at least a dozen times over the last few days, the dash is assembled!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Got a little more done today...

I needed to pull the column apart and install an overdrive shift quadrant.

Fortunately, I was able to sneak the old quadrant out and install the new one without completely disassembling the entire top of the column...

Quadrant in and column on its way back together...

And with the correct Jeep wood wheel... :shock:

That's all for today. Tomorrow I teach, then for the next week I'll be working on my Dad's '59 Impala, so no Jeep updates for a bit.

Stuka
Site Admin

Post by Stuka »

Dash looks great.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Atla

Post by Atla »

That's looking really good!
1983 J-10
2001 TJ

Jeepin Jeff

Post by Jeepin Jeff »

Very, very nice work, I really like your dash. What exactly did you replace in the column for the shifting issue? Got a photo of it and what did it come from?

Jeff
Jeff

1986 J10 - 2002 5.3/4l60e/Np241c - In Progress!
Tilt, Cruise, A/C

My engine swap started 04/2014: Check it out HERE!

Topic author
ProTouring442

Post by ProTouring442 »

Jeepin Jeff wrote:Very, very nice work, I really like your dash. What exactly did you replace in the column for the shifting issue? Got a photo of it and what did it come from?

Jeff

The shift quadrant is the gate inside the column that determines the detent points when you move the shifter.

The original Jeep quadrant is the separate one, the replacement is the one on the lower pivot housing.

Jeepin Jeff

Post by Jeepin Jeff »

So it's the same quadrant but the removable gate is what you replaced? Where did you find the replacement gate? Almost looks like the original gate could be modified and the travel be farther?
Jeff

1986 J10 - 2002 5.3/4l60e/Np241c - In Progress!
Tilt, Cruise, A/C

My engine swap started 04/2014: Check it out HERE!