1978 Wagoneer project

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
jkcondrey

1978 Wagoneer project

Post by jkcondrey »

Well, I figured I would start a build thread on my 78 Wagoneer. My wife and I picked it up in Nevada. We flew out and were going to drive it back since it was listed as running and driving. It did, but it was not in a road trip condition, especially back to NC lol. We ended up towing it back. The body is in really good shaped overall, frame is mint. All trim pieces were intact. It had some pinholes in the lower rear quarters of course and a small patch needed where the drivers left foot would've rested for ever. I will slowly add more pics. I have disassembled it to point where all trim is off, windows out, pretty much stripped. Just finished getting the last body mounts loose. It is now time to separate the body and frame. I'm going to have them both media blasted and then I will epoxy prime them both. I plan on having the motor and trans freshened up, though it does run and drive. I have been buying parts for about a year now. The last big thing will be weather-strip package. I plan on painting it Sunset Bronze, a Toyota tundra color.

I got real lucky with the vehicle and its condition. It is going to be rewired as well, as the old stuff is so brittle from being in the desert area. The only real parts that came with it I felt would need replaced where the headlight trim ring on the driver side and the driver tail light. I managed to find both for really good prices. It was missing one thing now that I think about it, the a/c compressor. I may change it over to more modern ac solution though. I haven't gotten that far yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stuka
Site Admin

Re: 1978 Wagoneer project

Post by Stuka »

That color should look really nice on a waggy.

And yeah, desert vehicles have great sheet metal, but a lot of rubber and plastic pieces will fall apart if you touch them. I ran into that with my J10.
2017 JKU Rubicon
Pevious Jeeps: 1981 J10, 1975 Cherokee, 2008 JK, 2005 KJ, 1989 XJ

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Yeah, I saw that color and just knew that's what it needed. I was surprised at the condition of many parts. I think it may have been parked covered most of the time, except the tailgate. It has the most fading and rust of the entire thing. The rest of the body was very good. I am not looking forward to the wiring job, itll be my first complete rewire. But it took me about a month to get it running right after having to redo the ignition wiring circuit. I posted about that last year. I did get it back running finally after a tank and fuel line cleaning and getting rid of the resistor wiring. I put in a cheap HEI and it fired up great.
Sorry about the sideways pics, on my end, the file shows them upright, but when it downloaded they went sideways.

jpswapmohn

Post by jpswapmohn »

Sunset Bronze Mica?
Yea, it looks great on a FSJ! Just be warned, it is rather expensive paint..

If pic doesn't show up, the imgbox link in my signature has pictures of the modifications, bodywork and paint.

:D
One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.
88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, J20 axles, etc. http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
95YJ, STaK, D44's, SOA, ARB's, Bilstein 5150s, 35" KM2's
50 CJ3A
77 J-10 (sold)

wimsurf

Post by wimsurf »

nice one!,
Mine is imported to The Netherlands, coming from somewhere close to Reno, Nevada. Similar situation: all the clear coat is burned off, no rust, and everything that used to be rubber seems fossilized to stone and falls apart on the touch.

prefer to work ont hat though than on a big welding job!
Good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing it get done.
1984 grand wagoneer
  • topaz gold | deep night blue,
  • AMC 360 v8 | 2019 5.7 hemi,
  • TF727 auto 3 speed | 8hp70 8 speed
  • nutmeg interior | sand or almond interior to be decided
it's a project now:
https://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p197535

freehold

Post by freehold »

jpswapmohn wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 pm Sunset Bronze Mica?
My gosh that's a great looking rig. Love those mirrors, too. Great job!
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Looks great!

Yeah I have already got a quote of $1300 for the paint alone from my local supply store. I have it all take apart and ready for blasting right now. Ill epoxy it and then start body work hopefully in the coming weeks. I hope to get it painted by June/July.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

I have separated the frame and body. All the body pieces to be blasted are packed in and ready. I am pulling the motor/trans off next day or so between rain drops. That will be blasted and repainted as soon as it warms up enough. Frame looks great, should be an easy paint job on it too.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

WAG6.jpg
WAG5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Got the frame sandblasted and epoxied up yesterday. Now gonna put the shocks on, brake lines and fuel skid and tank/lines in the coming weeks.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Well, I ordered a few parts and installed a few. New shocks are on. Got the skid plate and fuel tank mounted back up with new hardware. I have conickel brake line coming along with rear brake cylinders, new hoses, a new center link, tie rod ends, stabilizer link bushings and fuel line. I plan on getting the brake lines ran this coming week along with the fuel lines. My goal is to get the undercarriage complete and then pull the body out to be blasted and primed next month. I have decided to get the motor rebuilt while it is out and eliminate all the smog stuff as its not required here. I probably will have the trans rebuilt as well, given I do not know any of the service records on it.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

ENGINE.jpg
Have the engine nearly broke down. Gotta get a ridge reamer for the cylinders to pull the pistons and then it will be ready for the machine shop. Im running out of room with all types of parts everywhere.

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

jpswapmohn wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 pm Sunset Bronze Mica?

If pic doesn't show up, the imgbox link in my signature has pictures of the modifications, bodywork and paint.

:D
That color combo is AWESOME!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Well, bad news on the engine side of things. I pulled it apart and took it all to the machine shop. The block isn't usable, been bored out .06 already. So I am now going to have to figure out what to do engine wise. I am leaning towards another 360 obviously, but not 100% sure. It sucks because the engine was matching and I really wanted it all to be together.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

Close to Michigan? I know of a very good recently rebuilt 360 coming up for sale... He's putting in a 401.
It's not YOURS until you BLEED on it !

+ 01 XJ Cream Puff +16 JK Daily Driver + 85 CJ locked and loaded
+ 03 Rubi + 77 Chief 401 + 79 Chero - Madness: Sold

77 Gen V swap http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457
77 401 build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ief+begins
79 "Madness" build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ief+begins

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Nope, way down in NC. I’ve found one to take a look at this weekend, hoping it’s buildable. I’m really looking to keep it stock. Thank you though.

Topic author
jkcondrey

Post by jkcondrey »

Well I got stood up over the 360 engine replacement. Sooooo. LS it will be. In the meantime, buttoned up the frame and some of the drivetrain list.

CU4WHLN

Post by CU4WHLN »

jkcondrey wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:04 am Well I got stood up over the 360 engine replacement. Sooooo. LS it will be. In the meantime, buttoned up the frame and some of the drivetrain list.
Michigan isn't that far away. Eric bought my 401 drivetrain... His 360 was fully rebuilt 2,000 miles ago. He wanted a 401, so out the 360 comes..
Road Trip! :fsj:

I am doing an LS swap now... its a lot of work and pretty costly. Probably going to take at least 3 months before it drives again.. maybe.
If you want to drive it soon, I would go for a bolt in solution.

Good luck either way!
It's not YOURS until you BLEED on it !

+ 01 XJ Cream Puff +16 JK Daily Driver + 85 CJ locked and loaded
+ 03 Rubi + 77 Chief 401 + 79 Chero - Madness: Sold

77 Gen V swap http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457
77 401 build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ief+begins
79 "Madness" build: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthre ... ief+begins

ScramblerCJ8

Post by ScramblerCJ8 »

Hi, quick question. Do you have an adapter plate for the LS engine to mate to the jeep transmission? looks like you already rebuild it.