1978 Cherokee Build

Area to show off your Custom Build threads.

Topic author
curtmacd

1978 Cherokee Build

Post by curtmacd »

Complete suspension and drivetrain finished. Adding new wheels and tires this weekend and beginning the body fit and weatherstrip seal installation. The interior is new with a Corbeau rear seat and bucket fronts. It has the split transfer case shifters. This is a 258 - 3 speed set up with the original Dana 44's. More pics as I make progress.

Thanks for letting me join this forum!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

will e

Re: 1978 Cherokee Build

Post by will e »

Welcome to the club and thanks for sharing your pics! You've made a lot of progress and I look forward to seeing more pics posted as you get closer and closer. You'll like the folks here, there is a lot of good info and people are always willing to help.
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

Tires and wheels now finished. Getting ready to rebuild my doors, all new seals and hardware.

ArchitectJS

Post by ArchitectJS »

Care to explain what you did with the dash? Where did you get the white dash pad? ETc.

What size wheels do you have there?
1982 Cherokee, base (Bumppo)
AMC 258 / A727 - AMC 20 / NP208
Holley Sniper with Hyperspark
3" Rough County Lift

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

I bought this Cherokee constructed to a certain stage. The interior was pretty much finished. The previous owner welded and blended out the dash by removing the ash tray and glove box. He did an awesome job and I plan to install a double din Kenwood system in the center.
The dash is actually gray, pics make it look white. I plan to change the color. I haven't totally decided on the color yet, I won't know until I install the new woodgrain steering wheel and shift knob.
The wheels are the cheap wagon wheels in 15x8 with 31-11.50 tires. I added the stainless beauty rings, I like the look with the chrome center caps.
I'm moving to Montana in a year or so, so right now I'm focused on the heating system by adding a rear heater with a booster pump. I'm also increasing the the air flow volume at the dash.

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

New steering wheel mounted and three speed shift knob. Rebuilding my doors now.

will e

Post by will e »

Oh those are both cool! I love the steering when and the shifter is so period. Nice!
81 Waggy 'WILL E' Retired
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/high steer/Alcan springs/agr box/Borgeson steering shaft/AMC 401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS (2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave, Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37X12.5/Corbeau XRS Baja & 5 point retractable harness/Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 sliders/Evil Twin bumpers, rack and roll cage/WARN 8000/TT Fabworks steering brace/dual batts/custom TC skid plate/ARB fridge

freehold

Post by freehold »

What a great wheel!
1987 GW, 202k miles, AMC 360 engine rebuilt 62k ago, all more or less bone stock
1997 Grand Cherokee ZJ, 244k and still going
When it rains, I drive an MDX

HowardT64

Post by HowardT64 »

Sweet ride :) Lots of detail ...i love it!!!
2016 Jeep Patriot
"Faith"

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

Thanks for the support guys! I'm really enjoying this Cherokee. My doors will take a week or two to complete. I'm having to replace every seal and channel. I just had to order the rivets and tool to install them on the vertical wing window run that captures the door glass.
Has anyone added insulation or sound deadening to their front doors? I'm not expecting this truck to be as quiet as a mouse peein on cotton running down the road, but I want good insulation for the Montana climate. Plus, I'm installing a nice Kenwood double din system with 360 degree camera capabilities. I'm adding a Kicker Amp, so I want stellar sound, with a reasonably quiet ride.

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

I'm also considering doing a solid color front profile? What do you guys think? I'm kinda diggin the look. Doing some experimenting with colors and Rhino lining on the lower body, color matched.

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

Driver side door complete. New channels, glass, seals and weatherstripping. Adjusted the fit, now moving to the passenger door before changing out the tailgate.

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

Rhino lining completed on tailgate components, rear side panels and grille. Just about ready to finish up the body work and squirt to new Quicksand paint scheme.
https://ibb.co/ZN0dvXT
https://ibb.co/16Bb9Nb
https://ibb.co/k55ZZtx
https://ibb.co/WDp3XrG
https://ibb.co/TMKqtrQ

irondawg

Post by irondawg »

Nice job! Did you rebuild the vent windows? The chrome is really nice.
1978 Cherokee Chief WT in a thousand pieces
Previous Jeep: 2001 Grand Cherokee

Topic author
curtmacd

Post by curtmacd »

irondawg wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:42 pm Nice job! Did you rebuild the vent windows? The chrome is really nice.
I did rebuild the vent window assemblies. Installing the rivets for the window channel was a challenge, but in the end worked out great. Nothing like nice tight windows and seals. After I adjusted the doors, it has a nice closing sound as if it was new. I'm remounting the tailgate this week and installing new channels and weatherstripping. I have all the jams shot, so I should be able to concentrate on the body and paint next, before I permanently mount the grille.